5.0 out of 5 stars clangers are the best
I love the Clangers. So does my 15 month old daughter; and I know at least one child who watched Clangers obsessively until the age of five. There is something very appealing about their environmentalist, multicultural message. Clangers live a life of ideal, pastoral simplicity, in a beautifully weird planet inhabited by Froglets and a blue soup dragon. They talk in a...
Published on 22 Nov 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy protected: won't play on computers
Beware: this DVD is crippled with CP Ripguard, which means it won't play on computers. No problem if you've got a domestic DVD player, but if not it's a rather expensive and rather small frisbee.
Published on 23 Dec 2009 by Übergeekian

5.0 out of 5 stars old hippies, 14 Jan 2010
Jon Hatfull "Hat" (Slovenia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Well, they weren't exactly old back in 1970, and definitely not proper hippies (working for The Man, man), but something of those times definitely permeates the whole concept, and it reaches sublime heights in season two. I was fifteen back then, and Clangers touched this teenager, quite in awe of the slightly older boys who could more legitimately don the Hippy mantle, albeit with a strong feeling that those times would pass before he became quite old enough. Normally, self-respecting teenagers would not be caught dead watch TV intended for much younger viewers - we were in a hurry to grow up - but Clangers (and Magic Roundabout) were cool.
Picasso apparently once said that 'we spend our whole lives trying to see the way children see". (Saints) Oliver Postgate, Peter Firmin (et al) clearly had the rare gift of never losing that ability, as indeed does Nick Park and Richard Golezowski nowadays. To make anything which genuinely appeals to both 4 year olds and 54 year olds is a quite amazing gift. You don't need to 'drop acid' to appreciate season two of Clangers, but you have to wonder at just how they got there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and great quality, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this for my five year old son and he loves it...so do I! Brings back lots of happy memories. Lots of episodes and well made for its time. Going to introduce him to The Wombles and Rhubarb and Custard next. Oh the poor child lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD], 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I also purchased the first Series. I can only echo my original remark, recommended for all tender ages, including children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tv series, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
A really lovely tv series from Oliver Postgate.

If you don't remember it from your childhood, it's a series of simple (but imaginative and quaintly bizarre), gentle tales for young children. Each episode starts with an unusually philosophical voice-over about planet earth and the universe, while taking us out into the stars to the planet of the Clangers.

Really delightful, musical, and gentle - and Oliver Postgate's has to be one of the most soothing, lyrical voices ever. I loved this as a child and was glad that my 4 year old loved it too.

The disc came quickly from Amazon. Obviously, this is series 2, so it might be worth getting series 1 first, although each episode is stand-alone, so it's not necessary.

I doubt that this'll affect anyone else, but my 4 year old got a bit scared by one episode where a visiting astronaut from earth is frightened by the clangers and falls down a crater. It's extremely mild peril - narrated in the gentlest of voices, and they rescue the astronaut, but he keeps his helmet on all the time, which I think added to the anxiety for her. We watched it a few times to the end to see that it ends okay, and now she's fine with it, but I thought I'd mention in case you have a similarly slightly sensitive child.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son is addicted, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
My son is three and a half and he absolutely loves Clangers. The stop motion animation is quite simple to modern eyes, but little'uns don't have such prejudices and the programme has plenty of charm, humour, fantasy and wonderful music: enough to compel my kid to want to see it again and again. It also has strong moral messages about the environment, vanity, materialism and so on embedded within the stories, but its sense of fantasy stops it being heavy. It is also narrated using many words that are way beyond young children, yet none of this deters my little son. I suppose he just focuses on what he likes. My wife thinks it has a subtlety, which makes it different from other kids' programmes.
I, myself, just about missed it as a child, so I had no particularly fond memories of it. I was given it by my brother, as he knew my son also liked Bagpuss and Ivor the Engine, which were created by the same team: Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changers, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Grandson loves the DVD brings back some great memories very happy with the purchase glad I bought it great price

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I remember, unfortunately., 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Still nice to watch, but not a DVD that my daughter reaches for repeatedly, unlike some of her others of this era, eg Mr Benn, Hector's House, and Bagpuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great addition to my DVD collection, ok just remember it is from an old series so sound and picture quality is not Star Trek Into Darkness, but what a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simpy !!!Awesome!!!, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Visited the U.K. as a child at age 6 during a Christmas holiday.
I received a book of Clangers stories as a gift and read it until
the pages finally fell out.

I saw the Clangers DVDs and imported them to Canada for my son.
He is now 7 years old and can't wait to watch the Clangers. He loves the
soup dragon and the iron chicken.

The stories are very non-materialistic, and depict reasonable interactions
between the creatures and those they meet. Some philosophical content
regarding community, communication, and getting along. All done at
a level children can understand and relate to. There is very little that could be
considered violence in any of the episodes. Encourages meta-congnition in children.

Cant' understand how this series never got picked up in North America.
It's still wonderful after all these years. My 7 year old is proof.

Warning the DVDs are not all region, so they won't play on a standard
North American DVD player unless it is capable of all regions. We play ours
on a computer using Ubuntu and 'Movie Player'. I also have 'PowerDVD'
for Linux which I purchased which plays the DVDs nicely on the computer.
Am considering getting a multi-region DVD player to allow the family to
watch these shows on the television.

5.0 out of 5 stars The clangers are more than just puppets, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The clangers offer us so much. We have lost imagination and the ridiculous in childrens' education/lives. We are obsessed with commentary of reality and the mundane. We have also lost risk!

The clangers offer all of this. The animation and the music are first class and the modern world of technology should learn from the simple examples that Oliver Postgate gives us of how to present materials to children. This is the material that makes children think, wonder, imagineand manage to make their own decisions in daily life.

ARRAY(0xb443a0a8)

Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD]
Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] by Oliver Postgate (DVD - 2005)