5.0 out of 5 stars clangers are the best
Published on 22 Nov 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy protected: won't play on computers
Beware: this DVD is crippled with CP Ripguard, which means it won't play on computers. No problem if you've got a domestic DVD player, but if not it's a rather expensive and rather small frisbee.
Published on 23 Dec 2009 by Übergeekian

5.0 out of 5 stars clangers are the best, 22 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I love the Clangers. So does my 15 month old daughter; and I know at least one child who watched Clangers obsessively until the age of five. There is something very appealing about their environmentalist, multicultural message. Clangers live a life of ideal, pastoral simplicity, in a beautifully weird planet inhabited by Froglets and a blue soup dragon. They talk in a musical, mouse-like language -- the clangers themselves seem half way between mice and pigs. I have become entirely sick of Teletubbies after a few viewings, but Clangers retain their appeal time after time. The sound is much less annoying than most children's programs. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique children's classic, 1 Dec 2008
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Single DVD box with no extras, good quality sound and colour reproduction considering the age of the programmes.
Unlike Bagpuss and Ivor The Engine, The Clangers left little impression on me from my childhood and for this reason I was in two minds when ordering this for my daughter, and it was really only on the strength of the fact that it was made by Oliver Postgate that I did. Because it wasn't as familiar to me it took a few viewings to really get into it, but when I was (my much less cynical daughter was entranced almost immediately) this beautifully imaginative and eccentrically bizzare piece of animation will now stay with me forever. It's a great tribute to Postgate's genius that this can captivate an adult viewer more than thirty years after it was made without the benefit of nostalgia.
This DVD is worth the price and much more for the rich imagination and treasured memories it will inspire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood fun for adults too!, 16 Feb 2009
J. Metcalf (South of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
We bought this for a friend who was sadly dying of cancer and didn't get the chance to watch it before he died. So at our next party, we curled up and watched it in his honour! Superb little video, appeals to young and old alike. Brought back loads of memories and features all the characters of the Clangers and of course, not forgetting the Soup Dragon! Absolutely charming and had everyone whistling like the little knitted friends. A must and also a fitting tribute to the late incredibly talented Oliver Postgate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, 8 Jan 2010
S. Elgood (Holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
The Clangers must be over 40 years old now, but it's still utterly fantastic. I'm so happy my 5-year-old loves them too. I wish I still had the Tiny Clanger that Auntie Audrey knitted for me in 1968.

If you've never seen this you're in for a surreal treat. Oliver Postgate was a genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely tv series, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
A really lovely tv series from Oliver Postgate.

If you don't remember it from your childhood, it's a series of simple (but imaginative and quaintly bizarre), gentle tales for young children. Each episode starts with an unusually philosophical voice-over about planet earth and the universe, while taking us out into the stars to the planet of the Clangers.

Really delightful, musical, and gentle - and Oliver Postgate's has to be one of the most soothing, lyrical voices ever. I loved this as a child and was glad that my 4 year old loved it too.

The disc came quickly from Amazon. Obviously, this is series 2, so it might be worth getting series 1 first, although each episode is stand-alone, so it's not necessary.

I doubt that this'll affect anyone else, but my 4 year old got a bit scared by one episode where a visiting astronaut from earth is frightened by the clangers and falls down a crater. It's extremely mild peril - narrated in the gentlest of voices, and they rescue the astronaut, but he keeps his helmet on all the time, which I think added to the anxiety for her. We watched it a few times to the end to see that it ends okay, and now she's fine with it, but I thought I'd mention in case you have a similarly slightly sensitive child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outer Space Magic, 12 May 2010
LittleMo (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Another set of magical episodes from outer space. Delightful, A joy for children of all agers :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous fun, 7 Aug 2008
Erastes (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I adored the Clangers as a kid and I still find them funny, intriguing and a great work of imagination. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece great for little ones, 19 Oct 2014
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Great for children who haven't learned all the communication skills. My 2 year old got the storylines based on the sounds and intonation of the swanny whistle and bubbling soup dragon noises. This is a masterpiece and should not be underrated. Highly recommended. Puts telly funnies mumbo jumbo in the shade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good suff, 4 Jun 2010
P. J. McCartney "Scot in Seattle" (Seattle USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Classic stuff,still stands the test of time,great for the wee ones,my daughter seems to like it,She is 9mths

5.0 out of 5 stars great ! good old t.v programs !, 12 May 2010
Ross G. Jordan (scotland . uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Great t.v watching when shown on the t.v many good years ago ! We need more of this kind of thing on dvd ! easy watching ! Very good for all ages ! I read SEEING THINGS a MEMOIR of THE LATE OLIVER POSTGATE . It told you how he and Peter Firmin went about makeing the Clangers , Bagpuss , Ivor The Engine , and Noggin The Nog . The best children's storyteller of the last 100 years . We need more great people to make things like this !

Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD]
Clangers: The Complete Series 2 [DVD] by Oliver Postgate (DVD - 2005)
Used & New from: £9.99