4.0 out of 5 stars a good all round purchase
I spent a couple of weeks looking for a new digital camera.The three things I wanted were a price of under £150, at least 3x optical zoom and lots of memory. I finally decided on the Olympus
Published on 4 Dec 2005 by B. Banawich

3.0 out of 5 stars So, so...
For anyone looking for a first time digital camera i would say this is a safe option. Technically it is easy to handle and very easy to use, though one should be aware of just a couple of issues. Firstly, the camera's lack of viewfinder (as mentioned in another review) is very annoying when trying to take pictures in any bright light as the scene is very difficult to see...
Published on 5 April 2006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a good all round purchase, 4 Dec 2005
This review is from: Olympus X-705 Digital Camera [5MP, 2.8x Optical Zoom] (Electronics)
x705. It arrives well packaged with an additional 16mb memory card thrown in ,it looks and feels more expensive than most of the other £100 digial cameras I have looked at.
In a matter of minutes I installed the software and had started taking snaps.The first few pics were taken indoors and I was pleased with the result and clarity. I then took some outdoor pics of Xmas decorations in late afternoon and the results were very good. One pic did look a bit gloomy but the bundled image editing software did an excellent job of brightening the image and squeezing more detail from tne picture.
The X705's 5 million pixels produces a crisper,sharper image than my old 5 million pixel camera and it has 3 times the available memory.The 4 scene selections cover most people's needs and I found the macro and super macro modes to be very effective for close up shots.

For the price it's a great buy and ideal for those,like myself,who just want a straightforward easy to use camera that produces good pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive to use, with high quality results, 18 Dec 2005
By A Customer
Bought this for my wife for Christmas and couldn't resist a quick test drive. Very positive - both camera and PC software (running on XP-Pro) are very, very intuitive compared to my six year old 1.3 mp Olympus relic, and lens quality is surprisingly sharp. For the price - £99.99 when bought - it's an absolute snip. Actually fired this up and connected to my laptop with no connectivity issues at all - just as well 'cos the manual needs to stay sealed up for the 25th!! Not sure why anybody else had problems, though might be because they're using W98? This is an unreserved "buy" recommendation from me - even if it has gone up £10 since last week! Only downside is that since there's no 'normal' viewfinder, you'll have to use the LCD screen all the time - and that means that standard Duracell AA batteries will be eaten for breakfast, two at a time - better buy some rechargeables. Plus point though, you'll never be caught out without a power supply, anywhere in the world. The 28Mb of internal memory is not accessible if you have an XD card installed - so why they bother to ship a rather useless 16 Mb XD card with it defeats me - except that it's not possible to take panorama shots on the internal memory....

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of equipment!, 22 Feb 2006
S. Mulleri "stefania_m" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Got this camera as a present and I absolutely love it! To be fair, it is the first digital camera I have owned so have nothing to compare it with, but that just goes to show how user-friendly it is! After having some installation problems with an Ipod over Xmas, I was a little wary of installing the software, but it was very quick and easy, even for a technophobe such as myself! If you already have Quicktime 6 or later it is even quicker! I've already taken and printed several sets of pictures and am very happy with the results, and so far have found transferring the pics easy enough as well.
The only cons I would mention are the lack of viewfinder (although this hasn't yet posed a problem to me) and the lack of a case, however, any girls that buy this camera might find it a lot cheaper to buy a cute little makeup bag to keep the camera in as I have done! Might not have as much padding or whatever, but it sure looks cute and protects the camera well enough!
Along with the camera I received a 512mb xD card and with this in, the camera can hold over 400 pics. They do include a 16mb xD card with the camera so you can take panoramic pics straight away, a function I particularly like practicing with! The various other functions are good, and I especially like the macro and super macro. The video has no sound, but none of the cameras my friends have with sound have very good quality mikes, so I don't see this as much of a problem!
The camera has now gone down in price by 20 quid since it was bought for me, and even then it was great value! So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful camera, Great value for money, 29 Dec 2005
This digital camera is fantastic value for money. The pictures look great and it's VERY easy to use. The software included is fantastic for storing your photos as it stores them in a sort of diary style, with each day of the year's photos separated out. The only criticisms I would have would be that it doesn't come with a case and the video camera doesn't have sound. However the video function is good quality and when I plugged my camera into my TV to show off my snaps (which was also VERY easy to do) the video was fairly good quality despite being blown up in size.

4.0 out of 5 stars X705 - nice camera but has some drawbacks, 20 Jan 2006
Nice, lightweight and very compact little digital - We have taken some good shots with this but there are a few drawbacks.

One - It has no viewfinder - I was aware of this when buying but find the small screen surprisingly more difficult to get used than i'd expected.

Two - There is sometimes a very long delay between pressing the button and the camera actually taking the shot.

Three - it gobbles batteries - you will get through conventional AA's in 10 to 20 shots unless you switch flash off permanently - this camera demands Li Ion batteries

Four - It does not have sound/voice recording - despite what the Amazon specification paragraph above tells you!

Five - (less importantly)- it comes with no case at all as standard not even a little fabric drawstring bag as other rival brands do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Shots, 11 Nov 2005
Mr. O. Adegoke "dapx" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I will recommend this product to anybody looking a cheap and fairly decent camera.
Pros:
It is very easy and intuitive to use. I am going to bin my old digicam. Pictures are great. It captures fairly good shots in the dark as well. Cheap. Easy to download photos to my computer.
Cons:
Slight shutter lag
Plastic looks cheap
No Mic for video (I can live with that)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Camera, 5 Mar 2006
Mr. B. A. Clough (Penzance, Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This is my first digital camera, so I was looking for something that was cheap and easy to use. The X-705 lived up to standards and it is just brilliant.
It is smaller and lighter than I expected, which was good. After exploring the camera for a couple of minutes I had worked out how to use every function - very easy to use. Pictures look brilliant: on the camera, on the computer and printed.
Other reviewers have said that after installing the software and getting the latest update, the programme no longer recognised their camera. I DID NOT have this problem. The programme (Olympus Master) is very good. I especially like the browsing pictures format, it puts the photos into a diary format, with space for a diary entry, etc.
So, to sum up. This camera is excellent. It takes brilliant photos, is easy to use, and comes with a good programme. I would strongly recommend buying this camera to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sympathy, 21 Nov 2005
Leslie Napier (North Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I sympathise with the customer who could not transfer from camera to PC. It is quite simple when you eventually work it out. Go to the main menu on the Olympus Master that you have down loaded from the disk. Click on Browse Images. There is a menu top rhs called Online Service. Click on that. From the drop down menu click on Get upgrade version. Make sure your camera is connected to the USB before going any further. Then follow the instructions. The new software will be downloaded to your camera and you will be able to transfer images to your PC. Once you have worked out how to use it, the camera is very good. Hope this is of use.
Enjoy

4.0 out of 5 stars pleased with camera but not the software, 10 Feb 2006
H. I. Robertson "heather" (Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
i got this camera at xmas and was delighted with it. took some pictures, downloaded software and then transfered pictures no probs. went to prague took loads of pictures tried to transfer them and it would not recognise the camera!!!????? tried and tried but nothing would work. ended up going into on-line services and having to pay an extra twenty quid to download an updated version of the software. happy with the camera but not happy about having to fork out more money to transfer the phots onto the computer!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small is beautiful, 21 Feb 2006
Patrick Wallace (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Already being the owner of the Olympus C150, I was expecting my new X705 to be of the same size and weight. Surprise, surprise it's smaller and weighs less, so off to a good start.
The optical zoom is really handy as their is no loss in picture quality, the difference between optical zoom and digital is quite something.
The difference between 2megapix and 5 is again unbeleivable, excellent picts with good detail
No problems installing the software, although I will probably continue to use Camedia Master Pro, rather than the supplied Olympus Master software.
An excellent buy which I would highly recomend

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›