5.0 out of 5 stars Life's A Journey
Forget the critiques of "Boy-Meets-Girl". Wasn't it Homer [...] who said that in literature, there are basically only ever 7 storylines ?.

Published on 12 Feb. 2007 by Joanne

3.0 out of 5 stars Romantic comedy drama made to order
There have been a spate of Hollywood dramas recently where a responsible man meets a quirky sponteous woman who loves life... You get the picture.

In this one Drew (Bloom) is fired after losing the multinational shoe manufacturer he words for a lot of money on a failed design. He is just about to commit suicide when his sister phones to say that their dad has...
Published on 13 Aug. 2006 by Francisco

5.0 out of 5 stars Life's A Journey, 12 Feb. 2007
Joanne "Lovin ma kindle" (Skegness, Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)

Suspend your serious side for this movie and just enjoy the ride. I found the observation of characters (big town back to small town) intensely funny and accurate, coming from an urban area surrounded by rural small towns and villages. I realised the mortality of my parents, a key message in the film, tell them what you think of them before it's too late. And ok, Kirsten Dunst's character may focus on her glass being half-full rather than half-empty but my wife has done things for me such as a treasure trail for a Valentine's Day gift, (like the route trip planner in the book but on a smaller scale) etc and these are the sort of things that matter to me in a relationship and I'm sure that many blokes would agree.

Apart from the witty observations of characters in the movie, and I found so much to laugh or smile at in the film, the soundtrack is just out of this world, in it's variety and it's piecing together of the right emotions with the right clips. I have ordered both volumes on CD and I hope I will one day, drive this trip.

It's not action packed, it's not in your face, there's no special fx but if you want a feel-good movie that demands your concentration, this is one of the best and most enjoyable movies that I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance, 12 Aug. 2006
S. J. Godfrey "Loco" (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
This film will make you sit back and think about life for the better, brilliant from start to finish. Orlando Bloom plays Drew Baylor who has lost his job, girlfriend and things can't get worse. He is about to end it all when he finds out his father has died and his family are relying on him to go his father's hometown, Elizabethtown to make the necessary arrangements. On the way he meets Claire (Kirsten Dunst)who projects a positive energy into Drew's life and things will never be the same. Kirsten Dunst lights up the screen and gives a excellent performance. Also there is a good supporting performance form Susan Sarandon. I recommend this film to anyone, watch it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the cynics of this world!, 22 April 2006
Big.E (Bodmin, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
I can't believe EVERYONE has slagged this off! No, Orlando Bloom is not the world's most articulate actor. Yes, this may be a bit of a departure for Kirsten Dunst. No, it's probably not Cameron Crowe's best film. But it's far from the awful, eye-gouging dreariness that people seem to be trying to convince everyone it is.

Obviously, I'm a bit out-numbered here, so logic would dictate maybe you should rent it or borrow it before buying it. But it has got heart, and some genuinely comedic moments. It's basically about one guys journey from being virtually alienated from his family, living in a very emotionally shallow world, to finding himself and having a purpose in life.

Yes, the overall theme of it is a bit soppy, and if you thrive on thought-provoking, convention-questioning endings then you won't be satisfied. But if you want a warm, feelgood, redemption movie, (maybe "redemption" is a bit too dramatic, but you'll get what I mean), then please give it the time it deserves and take it for a spin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore everyone else...here's the truth..., 12 April 2006
R Sherwood (North Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
After just watching 'Elizabethtown' for the first time this evening, I thought I'd check it out on Amazon so I could get myself a copy. When I found it, I was shocked to read such negative reviews of it, and thus felt compelled to tell you a different point of view.
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. If you like Cameron Crowe's work on Almost Famous, then you can't help but love this. It captures a very similar mood and atmosphere and holds many of the key signature themes/references that make Crowe's work so magical. There are some truely wonderful moments in it and Kirsten Dunst is, as always, enchanting. She was a the typically beautiful and bewildering leading lady that Crowe seems to capture so well. Like a combination of Crowe's own creation Penny Lane, and Natalie Portman's character in Zach Braff's Garden State. Though not usually a fan of Orlando Bloom's work, I learnt to love him in this. The chemistry is perfect between them, although I sometimes wished it was Billy Crudup standing in his place.
The star of the movie however would have to be the soundtrack. Crowe is the soundtrack master, and this film is probably the best example of this. The final 20 minutes of the film (which is by far the best bit) is set to some of the best picked songs ever played in film. Even if the film doesn't tickle your fancy, try the soundtrack...it is pure genius.
All in all, I was truely captured by this film, and would recommend it to anyone with a soul and a love of good guitar music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 8 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst not the best movie in the world, I thought this film was quite moving, and worth watching through to the end as it grows on you. Yes it's quite slow, but I think it's supposed to be. The movie gradually takes you through Drew's re-awakening to the possibility that life might be worth living after all. Anyone who has hit rock bottom will know that it takes a while to climb back up again, and would appreciate and understand the sentiments portrayed in the film. Don't write it off just because you've read a few bad reviews!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, gentle lovestory., 30 April 2006
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
I have never seen any film by Cameron Crowe before this one, so I had no expectations based on that. This movie is one of the sweetest lovestories I've ever seen. It has quite a slow tempo but never gets boring. The characters are well created and the feeling of the movie is warm. Kirsten Dunst and Orlando Bloom work well together, and their romance is believable. This movie has everything; laughs, melancoly etc. It makes you think about your own life after you've seen it. I would recommend this movie to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears-- who said blokes dont cry?, 2 Aug. 2006
T. Ellis "Bigcat" (the Wirral . U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
this film brought a new sense of the meaning of life to me. For the future i have with my children, remembering the past with my parents. tears of joy, tears of sadness but a happy feeling in the end. I need a roadtrip!!

5.0 out of 5 stars over analysis, 19 Aug. 2007
P. E. Snowdon (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
honestly? it's a really nice film. I put off watching it because of bad reviews. But those just boil down to people who have lost the ability to just watch a film. Friends i know who study film and media watched this with me and i felt sorry for them because they couldnt enjoy it as much. Sure, its cheesy. Parts of it are confusing and you do spend a lot of the film a little bemused. But you can get to the end of Elizabeth Town after laughing and crying, and you feel like it has really fulfilled something.
A good film to help you deal with life or death. I would definately recomend this as a "feel gooder" and i wouldnt mark it down because of it.
Go on, watch it, and just enjoy.

And then theirs the soundtrack, even hardened critics cant fault that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dunst is magical in this wonderful little film, 10 May 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
Normally, you would have to drag me kicking and screaming to any movie featuring either Alec Baldwin or Susan Sarandon (let alone both of them), but I took a chance on Elizabethtown just so I could watch Kirsten Dunst (whom I now officially adore, by the way). Count this among the good decisions I have made in life. Elizabethtown is a surprisingly rich, sentimental, wonderful film.

Am I crazy, or is Hollywood actually turning out some darn good movies in the last couple of years? Not the big blockbusters, of course. I'm talking about quirky little comedies and dramas that usually don't pay for themselves at the box office but do actually reflect something of intelligence and emotional meaning - films like Elizabethtown. Yes, the last quarter of the film basically wanders off on its own (the perfectly ridiculous memorial service is exceedingly over-the-top) and dilutes the overall effectiveness of the story, but this is still a wonderful little film that actually has something to say about life and love. As much as I liked the story, though, I'm not sure it would have worked at all without Kirsten Dunst. Few actresses have the natural charm and power to brighten up even the darkest of days just by showing up, and it was Dunst's manic energy that really drew me into this whole story.

Everyone makes mistakes - but only a handful make mistakes that cost their company almost one billion dollars. Drew Baylor (Orlando Bloom) is one of that ill-fated number. Who knew there was a billion dollars to be won or lost in the shoe business? This fiasco is so big that Drew decides to kill himself. His attempt is preempted, however, by a phone call carrying the news that his father has died while visiting his hometown friends and family. Since Drew's mother and sister are a little on the loony side, it falls to Drew to travel to Kentucky to bring his father back home for the last time. During his late-night plane trip, he meets an exceedingly helpful and more than a little manic flight attendant named Claire (Kirsten Dunst), who gives him all sorts of directions and, of course, her phone number. After dealing with his father's family and friends all day, he ends up talking to Claire on the phone all night. Thus is born a rather unusual relationship between these two "substitute people." Claire provides Drew with an emotional base he sorely needs in dealing with his twin tragedies, and she also injects a spontaneity and zest for life into his otherwise morbid, pre-suicidal world.

Elizabethtown does deal with some big themes - e.g., life and death, success and failure - and I think it all comes together wonderfully. I can't really understand why some viewers see the film as being less than the sum of its parts, as there is definitely meaning to be found in this unusual story. I especially can't see how anyone would view Claire as a shallow character; she has a magical quality that makes her infinitely complex and perfectly refreshing. If you ask me, Dunst is amazingly good in this film. Even the presence of Baldwin and Sarandon isn't enough for me to give Elizabethtown less than five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just delightful, 5 July 2006
Kipper (Medford, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elizabethtown [DVD] (DVD)
Never believe anything that anyone else says about something as subjective as a film - be your own judge.

So check out for yourself my assertion that this is another Cameron Crowe gem. Beautifully acted and photographed, and with a solid gold soundtrack.

I spent 2 blissful hours lost in the world of Elizabethtown. can't wait to go back there.

Elizabethtown [DVD]
Elizabethtown [DVD] by Cameron Crowe (DVD - 2006)