5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV
This was a great programme. It was good to see Gene Simmons in a different environment and he changed my view of him throughout the programme. Theres great music in here too and the kids are hilarious to watch. Really, really good viewing!!!
Published on 27 Nov 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining
Published on 30 Aug 2007 by singh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 27 Nov 2005
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Gene Simmons proved the point., 24 Sep 2007
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
Rock 'n' roll is fun, and it's what you're parents don't like and never will. You may think it's all Chuck Berry and Bill Haley, but Eminem is also rock 'n' roll for the simple reason parents don't like their kids buying and listening to his music.
These kids were the most unlikely bunch in the world to turn into a rock band, and that's what this show was all about and what Gene Simmons did. It was great to see it on TV at the time and even better to sit and relax after-the-fact and watch it again at your leisure.
And the whole point is it made a bunch of stuffy, classically trained kids realise what rock 'n' roll is all about, and for that alone it was and is worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is great!, 30 Jan 2007
Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the first series of Rock School! If you liked the School Of Rock with Jack Black, you'll love this. I was totally hooked on this series when it was on tv. Gene Simmons brings Rock School to life. The public boarding school kids are so innocent and because of this are so funny. Gene aims to turn them into little rock gods and this makes addictive watching. Turns out Gene is a natural when it comes to teaching....

A MUST SEE SERIES!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 30 Aug 2007
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
It is an entertaining series, though I am not sure if it warrants being bought. My only complaint is that they intentionally picked students that did not like rock music rather than students that were actually interested in rock music (I know this because I have friends at the school where this was filmed), the result of which is a, frankly, ludicrous display of stereotype with regards to the students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Josh is such a cutie., 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
I'm watching this series again for the millionth time. It is still a fantastic show that is wonderfully, objectively gripping.

Less than 3 months until I marry the lead singer of the band!!! <3

5.0 out of 5 stars What a school, 5 Feb 2013
Paul G. Hebron (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
Gene simmonds... great as always. There is none other that would be able to bring this to you in the way he does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reality TV (For a change), 31 Mar 2012
S. Barradell (The Freezing North, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
In my opinion Reality TV is usually contrived, cheap and bottom-feeder car-crash entertainment! But I'm a rock fan so thought this was worth a try from Amazon Marketplace. How completely wrong I was as after one episode all my pre-conceptions were blown away.
Yes, it's true the program makers were setting this up as an experiment with a large possibility of failure and therefore expecting the usual results but I believe (in Rob Reiner - Spinal Tap's - words) "they got that... and an awful lot more".
What you are actually watching is the psychological experience of taking 10 cosseted 13 year olds out of their comfort zone and watching them struggling to make sense of the arrogant 'Mr Simmons' and his rock music. To see them grow into questioning, fully rounded adults in a few short weeks is compelling and incredibly rewarding. Without giving away too much, you'll also see Gene Simmons (30 years a rocker with 42 gold discs and arrogance to spare) go through a life-changing experience as their teacher.
You don't need to be a rock music fan to find it very rewarding in watching this stunning 6-part documentary and if you have any interest in how people develop and evolve personalities then I highly recommend this. (I was so moved that this is only my second ever Amazon review).
In addition the second DVD has 100minutes of extras - making of diaries, unedited footage etc.
If I was being really picky, I would complain about how the episodes are continually reminding us what we're watching, recapping, previewing and explaining the obvious over and over again, but that is that nature of modern reality TV. I certainly will not deduct a star for this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Given as Xmas Present, 19 Nov 2014
Mr. W. Kozlowski (Nottingham., Nottinghamshire. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
Brought as a Christmas Present, so can not comment on this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I wouldn't buy it...., 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
I watched every episode of the series when it was shown on Channel 4, and I loved it. It definatley brightened up my Friday nights. However, is it worth buying on DVD? Nah. It's one of those shows that will get awfully repetitive once you've seen it twice at the most.
I'm a great fan of the rock/metal genre, and so the soundtrack to this was well suited to my taste, and the whole idea of the series was a brilliant concept. I can't wait for the second series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb entertainment., 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
This was a brilliant series and expertly captured on dvd. This particular series was shot at my sons boarding school. A great school and a great DVD. Very funny a must see.

Rock School: The Complete First Series [DVD]