5.0 out of 5 stars A real grower, 13 Feb 2006
The Fault - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Silent Alarm [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
Very impressive album that has been re-released to include 2 brilliant extra tracks (including the fantastic Two More Years - the main reason I bought the album) and bonus DVD. Some of the tracks don't have a huge instant appeal so I found myself listening to the same 4 or 5 tracks for the first few days but give it a chance and the rest of the album really does grow on you (well it did me anyway). The bonus DVD also represents good value for money as it includes every Bloc Party music video to date, 5 tracks performed live and a behind the scenes tour documentary that's about 25 minutes long if I remember correctly. All in all this comes highly recommended. Wouldn't say this is strictly limited editon though, as I see it everywhere - in fact it's the only version of the album I've noticed on the high street (probably because it makes the previous version somewhat obsolete now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 21 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Silent Alarm [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
This was a great buy for me because i was beggining to get seriously bored of my other music so i couldnt help but go buy another 2 or more discs. So i had a stab at bloc party- and i have to say its such a cool album and every track is good which is a massive bonus when you buy a CD- my favourates being Banquet, luno and shes hearing voices. One thing I defintly like about bloc party is there drum and bass lines which are fun, simple and very effective and there guitar work is also very effective and refreshing. The DVD that comes with it is also great, especially the live performances- so if ur thinking of going for bloc party definetly give it a crack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic album...never to be matched, 16 Oct 2010
Jeph Hammel "Jeph" (Harwich, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Alarm [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
From start to finish, Bloc Party's first full release is an onslaught! Once the piercing, distorted intro noise from "Like Eating Glass" begins, you know this album is slightly out of the ordinary. Once the remaining instruments break in and Kele's vocals begin you start a journey. "Silent Alarm" for me is Bloc Party's master work. Unfortunately, although very good, the albums to follow just did not grab the attention like this one does.

"Helicopter" kicks in next and, as the one of their more well-known tracks, it's a perfect follow up. It's almost a dance track, but with that Indie/Pop sensibility intact.

"Positive Tension" is definately my personal favourite. Starting as a bassline, it breaks into crazy guitars and vocals with a very British charm (Kele's trademark methinks). The line "something glorious is about to happen" does not lie...the middle section, from a guitarist/songwriter point of view is pure gold. A lead guitar part crunching and funking over the rythmn section with ease, then peircing distortion kicks in for a solo that ends with a rippling effect that sounds as if Russell has just yanked the jack lead from the guitar.

Track 4's "Banquet" features a panning guitar interchange that cleverly confuses the listener before the album slows for a few soft, meaningful tracks in "Blue Light" and "This Modern Love". Between these tracks is the dancy, crazy "She's Hearing Voices". The follow up tracks "The Pioneers", "Price of Gasoline" and "So Here We Are" pick up where the first few left off, hitting the dance floor and makin us move. "Luno" then hits us with the heavy-weight bass and drums the album threatened before "luno" and "Compliments" bring us to a close.

This version comes with a DVD disc that has some live snippets from a very small venue. It's not mixed overly well and so the songs do not have the impact they should have and so, for me, they could have spent more time on this.

Silent Alarm [CD + DVD]
Silent Alarm [CD + DVD] by Bloc Party (Audio CD - 2005)