4.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft say postcodes now ok
I have played with AR2006 on someone else's PC and, apart from the postcode issues, find it a very good product with good, clear maps and plenty of route options and the ability to import places e.g. lists of caravan sites or customers.

After reading the negative reviews here, I decided to ask Microsoft for a response prior to purchasing. They emailed me back...
Published on 28 Jun 2006 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars Maps out of date
The 2006 version still doesn't include the new layout at M4 J.13 - pretty useless, given the complexity of that junction and the importance of getting it right. The maps are out of date in many other areas too, some of them reported by me using 'map feedback' two years ago. Very disappointing.
If you don't have Autoroute, go ahead and buy. For...
Published on 6 Nov 2005 by Mr Gumby

3.0 out of 5 stars Maps out of date, 6 Nov 2005
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
If you don't have Autoroute, go ahead and buy. For most users of earlier versions, it's unlikely to be worth upgrading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy it - but don't expect too much, 31 Dec 2005
Jeremy Burgess (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
I was given a speed camera locator for Christmas which is also a USB GPS receiver. My excitement got the better of and I immediately bought Autoroute 2006 to give me sat nav on my laptop for under £100 altogether. Oops.
I have been using MapPoint 2004 for work (Microsoft tool, Autoroute but with better data maping) and was hugely surprised to find that postcodes (namely my own) from MapPoint 2004 are now missing in Autoroute 2006! Route planning is in that respect massively short of 2004 version. Maps are more up to date (to about early 2005 it would seem).
On a plus side the GPS integration is pretty good. GPS trails mean I can see exactly where I have been (handy for work related stuff) and the spoken instructions are ok although well short of say TomTom. It's also reassuring to know that you can find out just how lost you are even though I have twice found myself directed down a local bridle way and once was on the A34 but in the middle of a large field (according to the map).
Buy it, it's worth the £40 but just don't expect too much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Backward Step, 5 Nov 2005
R. C. Thomson "Chunky" (W Lothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
I thought that the whole point of upgrading a mapping program was to get new map information. AR 2006 does indeed now have the M6 Toll road BUT many many postcodes have been removed. Including mine. My advice is to stick with AR2005 if you want to look up addresses via postcodes

1.0 out of 5 stars A Definite Backward Step, 9 Jun 2006
M. D. Ashworth (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
Having had good results with previous versions I didn't think too long about buying this, but perhaps I should have checked the reviews. When I used it for the first time, two of the three postcodes I entered for my journey were not recognised and the third was about a mile wrong. I have returned the software to Amazon who have refunded without quibble and now I will have to dig out that old disc for AR2003...

1.0 out of 5 stars Conned again., 8 Dec 2005
John W (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
If you are expecting updated mapping over Autoroute 2005, don't waste your money. In Northern and Southern Ireland the mapping is identical to 2005, that is, when you start to go west, the detail gradually disappears. Apart from changing the look of the mapping slightly there has been absolutely no improvement in actual map details. Very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Postcodes, 7 April 2006
Mr. J. R. B. Maclachlan (Malmesbury, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
I have just upgraded from 2004 to 2006. Finding locations by postcode is now so unreliable as to make the program useless. Dont buy 2006 if you need to locate locations by postcode

1.0 out of 5 stars Several UK postcodes missing!, 31 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
We bought this as an update to our old version of Autoroute as so many UK postcodes have changed over the years. To our horror this version is even worse - just about all postcodes we have tried to find are not recognised! Some of our customers that have lived in the same place for twenty years or more cannot be found! Certainly won't be buying any future versions now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dislectic software, 16 Aug 2006
U. Gallo Orsi (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
I tried it on my trip from Netherlnds to Italy. What a disaster!

In at least two occasions the software suggested me to turn LEFT when the map correctly indicates to turn RIGHT! Furthermore in order to stay on road while approaching a highway exit (to the right) the software invites you to keep Right (rather than Left!). I ended up switching it OFF and not getting lost!! I am returning it!

1.0 out of 5 stars UK Post Codes, 31 Mar 2006
MR JOHN WARD (Warrington United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
My first entry was my own Post Code, it appears I dont have one.
Autoroute 2006 asked had I spelt it correctly.
I use Post Codes a lot so its back to my old version which does recognise me by my Post Code.
I obviously should have checked reviews better before I bought.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm going back to MapPoint 2004, 16 Jun 2006
This review is from: Autoroute 2006 (DVD-ROM)
Ok, my older version, MapPoint 2004, doesn't have a number of important A roads in France but at least its route timings represented real road speeds.

I just don't understand this trend to take out vehicle speed settings, TomTom did the same migrating from one version to another. It just isn't reliable unless you can tune the road speeds.

I tried to get AR2006 to calculate the route times between 2 locations (home to ferry port). MapPoint 2004 used to get that to within 10 minutes; AR 2006 isn't accurate to within an hour, literally.

I tried to tell it I was towing a caravan (setting all speeds to minimum) and it said I would be "averaging" over 70 MPH. Set to "average" speeds I would need to get my 170 MPH car out of the garage and leave the caravan at home.

It's no use for route planning if you want rough journey times between locations and I found Google Earth to be way more accurate.

My recommendation: Buy a TomTom ONE for the car and use Google Earth for pre-journey planning.

Autoroute 2006
Autoroute 2006 by Microsoft Software (Windows 2000 / XP)
43.45