Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 January 2006
Cheikh Lo has an utterly distinctive sound that is unmistakably his own, his ability to incorporate a wide variety of influences is incredible - the sound encompasses mbalax, reggae, jazz, funk, flamenco, Congolese rumbas, Cuban guajiras and the rhythms of Brazil. Whilst the message may be deep, ‘Lamp Fall’ is an undeniably upbeat, celebratory album, which weaves together a myriad of colours and textures much like the patchwork clothes that are Cheikh’s trademark, and brings him once again to the forefront of the contemporary African music scene.
I can't recommend highly enough - buy it!
on 4 February 2010
I love playing this CD in the car. It excludes up beat, cheerful movement, African rhythms and sunshine as I drive along on a dreary British winters day. Each track is distinctive and different blending of African music with Cuban, Spanish and Brazilian styles. The first track is a love song that starts with a French style accordion and the sound of the lyrics almost seems to embody a rather Gallic shrug of the shoulders to the song.

There are a host of accomplished musicians on this CD playing a whole variety of instruments. As well as brilliant African percussion instruments,the guitar work is skillful and excellent. There are flutes and I particularly enjoyed the Saxophone too. On the last track he sings with a female choir.

Track 6 is one of my favourite tracks which starts with a very heavy bass ballenced by soft lyrical singing.

His singing sounds great and even though I don't understand much of the lyrics somehow I end up singing along too.
on 27 July 2006
I'm quite new to african music but got this cd after seeing him play solo on Jools Holland's show but with a band it sounds even better, one track even has a 40 strong ensamble.

This album has a very contemporary feel and still contains the traditions of the music.

highly recomended!
on 17 December 2013
This man's music is the best. And this is the best of the best. Arrived promptly and in new condition.
on 12 April 2009
If, like me, you have a large collection of albums in a wide variety of genres, then you might also find, like me, that there are a certain small number which never stray far away from the player, no matter how long you have had them. Whether it's sooner or later, they always make a return visit. For me, this is one. Incidentally, so was his first 'Ne La Thiass'. What does it for me are the infectous rhythms. Personally, I have never felt the need to know what he is singing about.
on 14 September 2015