5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job
I bought this item to enhance my taining and to link to my Garmin Edge. Having read other reviews I am pleased to report that the unit does exactly what it is supposed to. Linking to the Edge was simple; when setting up the LEDs were clearly visible indoors (although I did ask my partner to tell me which was red and wich was green and I am colour blind!!)...
Published on 23 Mar. 2008 by S. Grice

2.0 out of 5 stars This sensor is great when it works - having Cadence information is really ...
This sensor is great when it works - having Cadence information is really important for training, and speed information is useful for indoor training where GPS can't be used. Unfortunately my 2nd unit has just failed, this time lasting only 8 months. The cadence sensor still works, but the speed sensor has failed (the same fault developed with my first unit after about...
Published 5 months ago by MyHonestOpinion

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job, 23 Mar. 2008
S. Grice "Soosie" (Steeple, Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor For Garmin Forerunner/Edge/Virb Elite/Montana/Oregon (Sports)

Using the system outdoors is fine and I can log cadence which is a great benefit.

Indoors is a whole different experience now. I use a mag trainer (Cycle Ops) and with the cadence sensor plus the Edge I can monitor and record cadence and speed (due to the wheel sensor being on the rear wheel). The Edge senses the constant GPS location and offers the option of turning off the GPS (a clever feature). Add to this the heart rate and what more do you need for training purposes.

All in all, a great complement to the Egde and a super training aid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for more serious cyclists, 24 July 2014
If you've got a compatible (ANT+) GPS device (that perhaps you use for running) and want to add some bells and whistles for cycling this is a relatively cheap way of doing it. It offers speed and cadence via two magnets (one on the pedal and one on a spoke) and a small device that attaches to the frame.

Fitting is straightforward but needs to be aligned properly so worth searching online as there are a number of video clips that will guide you. Once fitted, the watch will automatically recognise the device in the same way as it would a Heart Rate strap. All you then need to do is to alter your display to show the cadence and speed fields and go cycling!

Most devices will already have the ability to pick up speed via GPS so this will replace that calculation. The benefit being that it should be more accurate and faster to respond (not having to rely on a GPS signal from 13,000 miles above us) and also works on a turbo trainer indoors if that's your thing.

Cadence is simply the speed at which you're turning the pedals. So why does it matter? From a personal perspective, it's helped me to use the gears better. Average cyclists tend to have a cadence of around 60 RPM, the pros average around 80. What I found was that on my setup 70 was about right and the way to achieve that was to use lower gears which was easier on my legs (so improving endurance) and my overall speed has increased as I'm using my muscle power more efficiently. I therefore tend to try to keep my cadence at 70 or above now rather than focus on going as fast as I can.

So for me a good purchase that has enhanced my cycling and gives me more stats to pore over afterwards!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good + Install Instructions, 18 July 2011
S. Mark Gee - See all my reviews
I finally binned my Polar stuff and needed to get cadence from this unit.

It's reasonably priced and, unlike my polar bits, cheekily allows the battery to be replaced if needed. How thoughtful of Garmin!

It is the size I expected and certainly not large. It's 'aeroness' is irrelevant.

I have a specialized transition comp 2006. IE a weird frame. I have a couple of rear wheels. Including a 52mm rim wheel. I want the speed sensor option because I train based on speed on a turbo. I use speed as a proxy for power/wattage...apparently only third party devices or turbos themselves can supply WATTAGE/POWER info and I did not want to go down the third party route - BUT THIS IS ONE AREA WHERE GARMIN DIRECTLY LACK A SOLUTION FOR MY 305.

It fits my frame no probs. It could have gone in a few places. I would imagine it is probably versatile enough to fit on your bike.

Instructions: The packaging was good and the instructions initially looked good. Until I followed them! Because my frame bends in weird places near the wheel then If I install the cadence sensor near the end of the crank (Garmin recommended) then the resulting position of the sensor DOES NOT WORK as the pick-up arm would get caught in the spokes.

NOW YOU SHOULD LOOK VERY CLOSELY AT THE INSTRUCTION FOR THE PICK UP ARM AND EXACTLY WHERE IT SHOULD GO AND EXACTLY WHERE IT SHOULD POINT. I have seen several people have this pointing upwards. Whilst this will work in the sense it will pick up a signal it must surely get caught in the spokes if accidentally pushed inwards to the wheel at some point down the line. Once this happens at any kind of speed it will break off. My solution was to install the main unit close to the pedal axle AND HAVE THE PICK UP ARM pointing downwards (just like in the instruction booklet!!! :-) ) and then taping it on with insulating tape. Now, I've got this on my rubbish wheel that I use on the turbo. If I were to have it on my 52mm rim wheel then I'm not so sure that my solution would work as the rim would get in the way.

I WOULD START THE INSTALLATION by working out where the larger pick up device goes first and do the crank afterwards. Otherwise yo will need some more cable ties (which luckily I had)

Food for thought. I will update this review later as I will be using it a lot. If there's no change by september then it's all going well !

Other points:
1. seems fairly flexible for various frame/wheel configs.
2. The speed sensor magnet has a connector that will fit flat/aero spokes as well as round ones. As another review claimed 'it must go where spokes cross' that is wrong it can go pretty much anywhere on any regular spoke. But you do need a spoke and not a solid carbon wheel!
3. I covered up all the magnets and cable ties with insulating tape. as well as providing additional fixing strength it also provides waterproofing and does not impeded the strength of the magnetic field.
4. I pedaled for a bit and the speed sensor seemed to either not be working (as GPS was on and speed coming from that) Or it worked perfectly and configured itself for the wheel circumference!! I shall see when the turbo first comes out as then if there is no speed the unit will require a bit of tinkering
5. It will work with any old STRONG magnet, just in case you lose one.
6. Turbo Update: If you use SportTracks (which is free and MUCH better than the Garmin software) then you MUST TURN OFF THE GPS SENSOR on the watch before using a turbo. Otherwise SportTracks takes the GPS data of you going nowhere slowly and it is VERY difficult to get it to use the correct speed/distance info that will have been correctly saved in the watch. (Look on the sporttracks forums for instructions on how to do this BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE 30 MINS TO WASTE) If you use the Garmin software it seems to just work OK and there is nothing extra to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars But beware of water!, 5 Sept. 2009
Scott (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great device that adds valuable information to my Edge 305, but beware when washing your bike. It can stand the light water spray from a wet road, but I'd suggest covering it with a small plastic bag whenever it's likely to come in contact with more water. This is my second device and after reading lots of other reviews it seems like this is a common problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sense me!, 29 Aug. 2014
Smooth Rider. (Derby/Nottingham.) - See all my reviews
Received this nice and quickly and being an original Garmin product, arrived in there usual box.
Fitted to my mountain bike as a second device and though quite a tight fit with the style of bike etc, have used it and it works fine, left it on auto and it set it self up for wheel and crank size.
Easy to fit on the bike anyway, just take it steady and don't tighten the cable ties fully until happy with it's position and checked that it works ok.
Only thing I had to play about with was the cadence magnet, as my crank isn't flat on the near side to the sensor, so luckily had some rubber strips to pack it with.
Just a shame about the cost but then your paying for the name and I haven't come across anything to take it's place!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cadence monitor for the Garmin Forerunner 405, 13 May 2009
C. Facey (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Product does exactly want I wanted, training for Triathlons and wanted to keep my cadence up when cycling. Didn't want another gadget for my bike and this works well with my Garmin Forerunner 405 which is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but needed some clever fitting., 11 April 2013
I guess if you after cadence data for your rides, and you already own a Garmin your choice is limited! I am primarily a runner, I have a Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS watch. I own a Trek DS 8.3 hybrid bike which I have been using quite a bit recently so I thought I would add a speed/cadence sensor to give me a bit more data from my rides. It arrived nice and quickly and has a reasonable set of instructions for fitting it. I found the required magnet positioning of <5mm on the crank sensor was just not going to be achievable on my bike due to the more 'mountain bike' style frame, the crank is quite a way from the rear frame stay. The spoke sensor was fine and lined up ok. I did some research, seems its a fairly common thing with this sensor unit (I am sure it was designed for a road bike frame). I ended up purchasing a neodymium rod magnet 10mm dia x 15mm long (just a strong magnet really) for about £3.50 on eBay (you can get them in just about any size easily). I then ditched the Garmin supplied crank magnet and stuck the new rod magnet to the end of the peddle spindle (it sticks on its own, magnetically, as the spindle is steel). It stays in place ok, been for lots of rides. This allowed me to line up the cadence sensor unit on the frame with around an 8mm gap to the new magnet (being more powerful than the original it trips the sensor ok). The spoke magnet was still fine, so I now had a fully working speed/cadence unit on my hybrid. Enabled pairing for it on my Forerunner watch and off I went. After a mile or so it had automatically calibrated the wheel circumference and that was that, been working a treat ever since.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with Forerunner, 20 Aug. 2008
D. Wilkey (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this to go with my Forerunner 305.

Product is a little fiddly to install - one of the magnets has to be zip-tied or stuck to the back of one crank, and the other has to go onto a rear wheel spoke. Instructions are not clear on whether the spoke magnet is required, but it could be a problem for those with solid/few spoke wheels. Spoke magnet also does not fit well - it's designed to fit best where two spokes cross, but on my (fairly standard) MTB rear wheel, this would mean the main unit not being next to the crank.

For testing whether magnets are aligned, note that the led 'flash' is hard to see in bright daylight.

Once in fitted, transmissions were picked up within a minute by the Forerunner, and after approx 5 minutes of riding had automatically calculated the rear wheel dimension.
Once setup, gives cadence readings as expected.

In summary, does exactly what it says it'll do, and once installed, is simplicity to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as described on any Ant+ enabled device not just Forerunner/Edge, 24 May 2013
Was pretty easy to install, although i would have preferred rubber fastener instead of the provided zip ties. Once again, works with any Ant+ device, i'm using a Andorid phone with Endomondo to track cadence and speed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin, 4 May 2013
Looks good fits really well on the frame sync to all my ANT devices without any problems
I've used it for over a month now with no problems