5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job
I bought this item to enhance my taining and to link to my Garmin Edge. Having read other reviews I am pleased to report that the unit does exactly what it is supposed to. Linking to the Edge was simple; when setting up the LEDs were clearly visible indoors (although I did ask my partner to tell me which was red and wich was green and I am colour blind!!)...
Published on 23 Mar. 2008 by S. Grice

3.0 out of 5 stars I love using Garmin connect and Strava
I use a Garmin 300 and love reviewing training. I use the wahoo sensor on my other race bike and used this Garmin sensor for the first time yesterday. It was easy enough to set up..I left the arm down and had green lights and red lights confirming everything was fine....until yesterday...when it decided that it didn't want to record cadence.
This was / is annoying...
Published 15 months ago by Hilary Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job, 23 Mar. 2008
S. Grice "Soosie" (Steeple, Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor For Garmin Forerunner/Edge/Virb Elite/Montana/Oregon (Sports)

Using the system outdoors is fine and I can log cadence which is a great benefit.

Indoors is a whole different experience now. I use a mag trainer (Cycle Ops) and with the cadence sensor plus the Edge I can monitor and record cadence and speed (due to the wheel sensor being on the rear wheel). The Edge senses the constant GPS location and offers the option of turning off the GPS (a clever feature). Add to this the heart rate and what more do you need for training purposes.

All in all, a great complement to the Egde and a super training aid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for more serious cyclists, 24 July 2014
If you've got a compatible (ANT+) GPS device (that perhaps you use for running) and want to add some bells and whistles for cycling this is a relatively cheap way of doing it. It offers speed and cadence via two magnets (one on the pedal and one on a spoke) and a small device that attaches to the frame.

Fitting is straightforward but needs to be aligned properly so worth searching online as there are a number of video clips that will guide you. Once fitted, the watch will automatically recognise the device in the same way as it would a Heart Rate strap. All you then need to do is to alter your display to show the cadence and speed fields and go cycling!

Most devices will already have the ability to pick up speed via GPS so this will replace that calculation. The benefit being that it should be more accurate and faster to respond (not having to rely on a GPS signal from 13,000 miles above us) and also works on a turbo trainer indoors if that's your thing.

Cadence is simply the speed at which you're turning the pedals. So why does it matter? From a personal perspective, it's helped me to use the gears better. Average cyclists tend to have a cadence of around 60 RPM, the pros average around 80. What I found was that on my setup 70 was about right and the way to achieve that was to use lower gears which was easier on my legs (so improving endurance) and my overall speed has increased as I'm using my muscle power more efficiently. I therefore tend to try to keep my cadence at 70 or above now rather than focus on going as fast as I can.

So for me a good purchase that has enhanced my cycling and gives me more stats to pore over afterwards!

4.0 out of 5 stars But beware of water!, 5 Sept. 2009
Scott (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great device that adds valuable information to my Edge 305, but beware when washing your bike. It can stand the light water spray from a wet road, but I'd suggest covering it with a small plastic bag whenever it's likely to come in contact with more water. This is my second device and after reading lots of other reviews it seems like this is a common problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to fit and use, 5 Oct. 2012
I took the plunge and bought this for my new hybrid, despite being a bit nervous in light of previous reviews suggesting that it was difficult to position the unit sufficiently close to the crank magnet to detect cadence. Once the unit was laterally aligned with the cank magnet, it worked first time and I didn't need to bother checking whether the unit and the magnet were within the regulated distance apart. Maybe I just have a very "standard" bike or something, but it was just a case of slap it on, make sure it's lined up and tighten the cable ties - maybe 10 mins maximum including reading the instructions. I just wanted to share this for the benefit of other prospective buyers who may be thinking that there is something complicated about positioning the unit on the bike. There was nothing complicated at all, in my case anyway.

The unit looks a little bit flimsy, but so far at least has withstood all vibration, potholes and rain, and it is running fine on the original (supplied) battery.

It pairs with my Forerunner 610 and I have the latter's display configured to show cadence, speed and heart rate zone simultaneously. I'm new to the idea of training to fixed cadences and heart rate zones but have rapidly become a convert, not least because spinning in HR zone 2 for 30km has proved, in my case, to be an incredible fat-burner - a real incentive for a lard-a** like me! That's what I wanted this sensor for and it fits the bill perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good + Install Instructions, 18 July 2011
S. Mark Gee - See all my reviews
I finally binned my Polar stuff and needed to get cadence from this unit.

It's reasonably priced and, unlike my polar bits, cheekily allows the battery to be replaced if needed. How thoughtful of Garmin!

It is the size I expected and certainly not large. It's 'aeroness' is irrelevant.

I have a specialized transition comp 2006. IE a weird frame. I have a couple of rear wheels. Including a 52mm rim wheel. I want the speed sensor option because I train based on speed on a turbo. I use speed as a proxy for power/wattage...apparently only third party devices or turbos themselves can supply WATTAGE/POWER info and I did not want to go down the third party route - BUT THIS IS ONE AREA WHERE GARMIN DIRECTLY LACK A SOLUTION FOR MY 305.

It fits my frame no probs. It could have gone in a few places. I would imagine it is probably versatile enough to fit on your bike.

Instructions: The packaging was good and the instructions initially looked good. Until I followed them! Because my frame bends in weird places near the wheel then If I install the cadence sensor near the end of the crank (Garmin recommended) then the resulting position of the sensor DOES NOT WORK as the pick-up arm would get caught in the spokes.

NOW YOU SHOULD LOOK VERY CLOSELY AT THE INSTRUCTION FOR THE PICK UP ARM AND EXACTLY WHERE IT SHOULD GO AND EXACTLY WHERE IT SHOULD POINT. I have seen several people have this pointing upwards. Whilst this will work in the sense it will pick up a signal it must surely get caught in the spokes if accidentally pushed inwards to the wheel at some point down the line. Once this happens at any kind of speed it will break off. My solution was to install the main unit close to the pedal axle AND HAVE THE PICK UP ARM pointing downwards (just like in the instruction booklet!!! :-) ) and then taping it on with insulating tape. Now, I've got this on my rubbish wheel that I use on the turbo. If I were to have it on my 52mm rim wheel then I'm not so sure that my solution would work as the rim would get in the way.

I WOULD START THE INSTALLATION by working out where the larger pick up device goes first and do the crank afterwards. Otherwise yo will need some more cable ties (which luckily I had)

Food for thought. I will update this review later as I will be using it a lot. If there's no change by september then it's all going well !

Other points:
1. seems fairly flexible for various frame/wheel configs.
2. The speed sensor magnet has a connector that will fit flat/aero spokes as well as round ones. As another review claimed 'it must go where spokes cross' that is wrong it can go pretty much anywhere on any regular spoke. But you do need a spoke and not a solid carbon wheel!
3. I covered up all the magnets and cable ties with insulating tape. as well as providing additional fixing strength it also provides waterproofing and does not impeded the strength of the magnetic field.
4. I pedaled for a bit and the speed sensor seemed to either not be working (as GPS was on and speed coming from that) Or it worked perfectly and configured itself for the wheel circumference!! I shall see when the turbo first comes out as then if there is no speed the unit will require a bit of tinkering
5. It will work with any old STRONG magnet, just in case you lose one.
6. Turbo Update: If you use SportTracks (which is free and MUCH better than the Garmin software) then you MUST TURN OFF THE GPS SENSOR on the watch before using a turbo. Otherwise SportTracks takes the GPS data of you going nowhere slowly and it is VERY difficult to get it to use the correct speed/distance info that will have been correctly saved in the watch. (Look on the sporttracks forums for instructions on how to do this BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE 30 MINS TO WASTE) If you use the Garmin software it seems to just work OK and there is nothing extra to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sense me!, 29 Aug. 2014
Smooth Rider. (Derby/Nottingham.) - See all my reviews
Received this nice and quickly and being an original Garmin product, arrived in there usual box.
Fitted to my mountain bike as a second device and though quite a tight fit with the style of bike etc, have used it and it works fine, left it on auto and it set it self up for wheel and crank size.
Easy to fit on the bike anyway, just take it steady and don't tighten the cable ties fully until happy with it's position and checked that it works ok.
Only thing I had to play about with was the cadence magnet, as my crank isn't flat on the near side to the sensor, so luckily had some rubber strips to pack it with.
Just a shame about the cost but then your paying for the name and I haven't come across anything to take it's place!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good statistics device, 1 April 2012
The device makes a good training set with a Garmin watch, either HRM only or GPS based, or with an iPhone. Yes, it can be used with an iPhone and an ANT adapter for iPhone in the same way is used with Garmin devices. For an HRM (hart rate monitor) watch is a must to get bike speed, but is useful even with a GPS watch, because you can have cadence statistics against hart rate, and in case the gps watch runs low in batery for using the gps receiver, then you can stop gps and and still have cadence/speed for the rest of the run. Neat, isn't it?

I bought it together with a Forerunner 610 (GPS watch) and already used it, able to see how long I can keep stroking with high cadence at maximum hart rate. It allows for wheel diameter calibration based on GPS measurements, but do this on straight lines and then keep the resulted wheel diameter value on manual. I noticed that keeping the wheel diameter on automatic leads to a permanent small variation of diameter, based on gps precision. Well, this is a detail for precision freak eyeballing, a 3-5% variation from perfection is not bad, it's not like a biker breaks a speed limit or something and gets a ticket. For example, my wheel is a standard 26" and the circumference should be PI*26*25.4mm=2074mm (european standard units guys, sorry for imperial users), but the gps reported to be only 1962mm, which in case of no gps info and wheel only info will give a +5.7% error (speed and distance measured by the wheel are higher). Half a mile or km recorded extra for every 10 is not a huge error, but like I said, precision freaks will roll their eyes a little.

Anyways, there is a small inconvenience that one can run into during the installation on the bike, and it's bike related. The device has to be installed on the rear chain stay (rear wheel fork) in such a way to be reachable by both magnets, the magnet installed on the pedal crank arm and the spoke magnet (wheel magnet). Depending on the crank arm shape on the inner side (some have a groove as depicted on the Garmin manual, but with a different length and shape, etc), the magnet installation on the arm can be annoying, it's difficult to seat it close to the arm end where is needed because of that groove. In my case I had to use extra rubber and foam pieces glued to the magnet to seat it correctly on the arm.

Happy biking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Secure magnets with gaffa-tape!, 1 Jan. 2012
C. Kranz "-ck-" (UK) - See all my reviews
I just wanted to agree with some of the other reviews and add my own recommendations to anyone that purchases this in the future. This is a great product, really easy to fit and I've now got 2 sets for 2 bikes, although switching between the 2 means doing a rescan on my Forerunner 305. But it's great and I upload all the stats to mapmyfitness.com which do some really good graphing and route mapping, as well as allow comparisons with friends, or just yourself which I find interesting and useful.

My main advice for this however is the pedal crank sensor. This does indeed fall off pretty quickly as mentioned by some other reviewers, so I'd highly recommend that you gaffa-tape this sensor on. It won't interfere with the magnet, but it'll save you losing this sensor after going out a couple of times! I'm not sure at what stage I lost the sensor from my first setup, but the last one I bought is now safely taped to the bike. I also taped on the spoke sensor just to make sure it doesn't slide, although I don't think there's much risk.

Really great product, and I think also a must have if you already have a Garmin GPS watch or bike computer. I'm not sure if the GPS is more accurate with speed and so on, but the cadence is useful for tweaking your training, and when the GPS signal is poor (which is surprisingly often I find), then you still get a speed and distance recording which means I can always jump straight on the bike without having to wait for a signal (which can take 5-10 minutes).

Definitely 5 stars, although I reckon Garmin should ship a small roll of tape to secure the pedal crank sensor better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Bike Sensor, 24 April 2011
I was given a Garmin FR60 with foot pod as a Christmas present which I love. I find it so useful to help me track my training and fascinating to see my heart rate profile through an activity. I am a cyclist and since getting the FR60 I had my eye on this bike sensor to replace my old wired Cateye computer. Finally I went for it and bought one. So glad I did. It arrived very quickly and was clearly brand new as advertised.

It took a little bit of fiddling to get the sensor fitted to my bike, particularly to get both magnets within 5 mm of the sensor. I have the little arm sitting pointing up as it was catching on the spokes if pointed down as in the photo - but that's why it's adjustable right? I also like the way the spoke magnet works if pointing to the outside or the inside of the wheel - mine points inside the wheel to prevent it catching on the arm of the sensor. It was easy to fit the cadence magnet on the pedal crank too.

Pairing with the FR60 was easy, though I wasn't clear at first what was meant by wheel size. Figured out in the end it meant wheel circumference so I used a tape measure on the kitchen floor to measure my wheel circumference. I can't get over the amount of information it picks up. I've been out with it several times and it's brilliant. The calibration is also impressive. My other half has a Garmin Edge 705 and we went out together on an 75 mile ride yesterday. The two Garmins were within 0.5 miles of each other in terms of the distance they thought they'd done.

Fantastic piece of kit. Thank you Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cadence monitor for the Garmin Forerunner 405, 13 May 2009
C. Facey (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Product does exactly want I wanted, training for Triathlons and wanted to keep my cadence up when cycling. Didn't want another gadget for my bike and this works well with my Garmin Forerunner 405 which is great.