‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars crosses the generation gap, 31 Aug 2006
John Tierney "viletrog" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
I bought this not knowing who Simon Webbe was, that he'd been in Blue(whose LP's I have!).

I read some of the reviews on here, and being a 'music fan' thought I'd give it a try - I like all kind of stuff - except rap - although some rap is tuneful and delivered well.

I didn't get round to playing it much, doing other things. I was walking round a shop and one of the tracks (2) was playing. I said to my niece (aged 10 - me 52), 'oh I really like this, I wonder who it is(!), I wouldn't mind buying it(!)' 'You've already got it Uncle John' she said (she has a little trawl through my music every now and then and had come across it and liked it - but had said nothing). When we got home she dug it out and put it on - it wasn't off all night. Then she told me he was in Blue, and instantly I realised I recognised those dulcet tones. This is a blinder of an LP. There is a lot of dross around these days - I know I've bought most of it! But there's also a lot of talent and good music. Don't just dismiss me as some owld man who knows nowt. My collection spans the 1920's to the present day - my hay days being the 60's/70's - and amongst my faves are: Pink Floyd,Hawkwind,Melanie(Safka),Rusty Springboard, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Sanatana...etc.For me, there is no right or wrong in music - whatever I or you think about it doesn't matter to some extent, it's art. Of course we can have all the so called music officionados saying this bit or that bit wasn't right - my view is, 'If you like it BUY IT, if you don't know it and buy it and find you don't like it, be cool and put it down to experience - you will have broadened your mind, emptied your pocket a bit, but hey! We're all here for such a short while - experience what you can, and as in the words of Sad Sweet Dreamer - 'it's just one of those things you put down to experience' And in the words of the 60's music programme - I'd give it 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, Relaxing, and Original first CD!, 14 Nov 2005
Alex Gonzalez (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
This is the debut cd for the member of Blue, Simon Webbe, but when you first pop this cd into your cd player it sure doesn't sound like a debut. The lyrics and the flow of the music are very mature; to me it is no surprise. He has so much experience, from being in a very talented pop/R&B group, to producing for the group, and also producing for others. In this cd he shows that even though he is very mature, that he still has room to grow. By this, I mean that the songs are as good as can be for a debut. All the choruses are very catchy and the vocals are not to be underestimated. This man can sing! He is not just some rapper that was stuck into Blue to make them hip. His vocal range is incredible! He can sing low bass to high tenor and has smooth falsetto. There are no doubts about his ability. The question for his next album is: Can Simon Webbe bring it to the next level?
Highlights include:
Lay your Hands - Pop/R&B (Single)
No Worries - Pop/R&B (Single)
Unjustified - Country/Funky R&B
Free - R&B/Ballad
All I Want - Pop/Rock
Sanctuary - Pop/Ballad

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Sublime, 4 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
I decided to purchase this album as i liked some of the stuff that Blue produced, and it was one of the best decisions i have made in a long time.
Being a debut album by a relatively unknown artist i was a bit unsure what to expect but some of the songs on the album are different class. Most notably:
1 - Lay Your Hands
2 - No Worries
3 - Unjustified
4 - Sanctuary
This a great Album to relax too, it consist of a mixture of upbeat and smooth songs that work well together from an artist that has great vocal talents and i hope a bright future ahead.
Overall Verdict: A must have for 2006.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 25 Oct 2006
J. Frith "Big Dave" (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
This album proves that there are some people that can sing more easily than many find talking. I had enjoyed some of the catchy Blue songs (much to my embarrasment a lot of the time!) but wouldn't say I was a fan by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't know when they went their own ways and certainly wouldn't have been able to guess which one Simon was but once I heard 'Lay Your Hands' I was a fan. He sings with amazing ease and as a singer myself can tell you that his vocal range and melodic noise of his voice is unbelievable. If I had to compare him to any other artist I would say few of his songs sound a bit like the Lighthouse Family, although I believe Simon is a better singer.

In this album Simon has removed some of the negative emotions that Blue would regularly have in their music and replaced it with some awesome upbeat tracks. When I'm down there's certainly no better song to hear than 'No Worries'. All of the songs are very good but the clear stand outs are 'Lay Your Hands', 'No Worries' and 'After All This Time'. Simon Webbe's lyrics flow straight from his heart as he pours them into his music to make feel good songs which are relatively unmatched by any artist today. I'm looking forward to the new album after hearing 'Coming Around Again'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 24 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
I was pleasantly surprised when I heard this album. Simon's vioce is strong, the songs are catchy and the lyrics are good. This album is well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous CD!, 16 Nov 2005
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
I just bought this CD and after listening to it I feel as though I have to write to say just how gorgeous it is. The songs are awesome, Simons voice is like silk and the lyrics are so pretty. It really is a lovely CD with no bad songs on it at all in my opinion. It's the perfect CD for relaxing to or listening to with your partner. Chart songs No Worries and Lay Your Hands are on there as well as many others that will do just as well in the charts. Awesome CD! I totally recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Webbe Sanctuary, 30 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
Absolutely fantastic,simon at his very best,definately the best solo performer since blue split

4.0 out of 5 stars Simon Webbe, 22 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
This album sounds like a quiet house with a comfy sofa and a mug of hot chocolate. Easy-listening with a few twists and turns that make it interesting. Think Blue meets Lighthouse Family. This album features cool chillout beats, warming melodies and catchy lyrics; everything you need for a sing-along journey home. 'No Worries' and 'Lay Your Hands' (the first singles) are highlights, but the rest of the album complements them perfectly. It's well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Simon Webbe At His Best!!, 3 Jan 2006
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
Simon Webbe has obviously put everything into this amazing album! It's very easy listening and his wonderful voice shines through! A must buy! 10/10!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon Webbe a GREAT ALBUM, 10 Jun 2006
This review is from: Sanctuary (Audio CD)
Always loved Blue, but i have to say this is a very worth while album to buy! Just as good or even better than the Blue albums. Best of all the debut albums from all of the ex-blue members. Lee's is ok but Simon's is brilliant! "All This Time" - Perfect! "No Worries" - Soulful and Easy! "Free" - Free! Great songs great lyrics! Duncan James seems to be doing well now too but i don;t think he can compete with Simon's album!

STRONGLY RECOMMENDED *****

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)

Sanctuary
Sanctuary by Simon Webbe (Audio CD - 2005)