4.0 out of 5 stars The birds and the Bush
Kate is a british icon - still sounding as unique as she did 30 years ago. That was a time when true talent was nurtured, rather than dropped after one failed single. It was wonderful to see her back and reminding us of her eccentric genius.

Published on 21 April 2009 by Jeffrey M. Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Kate Coasting
My best friend and I waited so long for this album. We were both Kate Bush crazy, she more so than I. Sadly she died a month before it was released, so every time I listen to it I think about her and wonder what she would have thought of it.

I think that emotional bias made me love it when I first heard it. Then, over a period of months I came to regard a lot...
Published on 8 July 2007 by AK 1957-05

4.0 out of 5 stars The birds and the Bush, 21 April 2009
Jeffrey M. Black "jblack437" (Stockport) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)

It's 'A Sky of Honey' that lifts this album into the 'essential' category. You owe it to yourself to sit in an English country garden and listen to it. Just a beautiful summery concept album, where Kate makes songs from the coo-ing and chirping of pigeons and blackbirds. The moment when I gazed out over the moonlit ocean in Miami and the words "We stand in the Atlantic and we become panoramic" played over my iPod will stay with me forever. It's worth the price for CD2 alone.

Elsewhere, 'A Sea of Honey' is less cohesive, but still intriguing. Only Kate can get away with writing child-like songs about cheerful domesticity. Maybe her love for her son can be a little cloying, but at least it's honest. 'Pi' manages to make numbers sound sexy as hell. 'A Coral Room' is an intensely personal song about the death of her mother. You feel like you're intruding on her grief just by listening to it - but that's what separates a true artist from the wannabe; she expresses the loss in the best way she knows.

Kate Bush is an original and we should cherish her while we still can.

4.0 out of 5 stars THE STARS ARE ON OUR FINGERS……COULD BE HONEYCOMB…..., 11 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
After the first eager play, I was disappointed. I had counted on Kate to give me the almost visceral experience of (what I consider to be) her best works. Aerial didn’t hit me in the heart. I wasn’t awestruck. People coming to Kate for the first time through Aerial might not ‘get it’. With hindsight, The Dreaming and Hounds of Love mark the end of her progressive breaking of ground that I still find exciting when I dig these treasures out for a Kate session. Her rich palette of colours has matured as she has too. Kate paints with smaller strokes nowadays. On further hearings, and you really need to open up and listen, Aerial gets better and better. In part, particularly A Sea of Honey, it is a miniaturist thoughtful work that has a close focus : the numbers that are pi; the joy that her boy Bertie brings her; an elemental appreciation of and affinity with nature and the details of domestic life; the undertow of grief; a day on the beach; a sunset. The whole album is like a series of excerpts from a journal. Kate sounds like she’s at peace with herself, content and happy. The energy of the past is diminished but her intense romantic imagination and feeling is still there. A Coral Room sounds like it dates from the Red Shoes – it’s beautiful and heartbreaking. A Sky of Honey is brimful of beauty – Kate’s sensual world – like a Turner painting or memories of the most intensely, unbelievably beautiful day. I listened at 3am and it was perfect. I started off thinking Sky was an unfinished work and Sea was the real album. Now, I love them both. She has made a lovely album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Boundary of Pop, 27 Aug. 2014
Peter Grant (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
It's very interesting reading the reviews of 'Aerial'. It pretty much boils down to whether you think that songs about washing machines or reciting the value of Pi can make great music or not. It's really the same debate that surrounds much modernist art - for example can a painting that is simply one colour really be art? If your answer is 'no' then buy the latest pop drivel instead. If however you think, say, Ellsworth Kelly or Philip Glass are great artists then this is the 'pop' music for you. Bush is one of the very rare musicians remotely capable of achieving similar flights of imagination and of course those songs aren't about washing machines and numbers at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best album of all time!, 14 Oct. 2013
R. Hallifax - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
This really could be the best album ever. Here I shall now attempt to describe it:

1. King of the Mountain - This is about Elvis. The reggae-esque guitar slices up the whooshy windy sound of the track. 10/10

2. Pi - This is about a man who has a complete infatuation with the calculation of pi. KB then goes on to sing pi (well, as much as the 6min9sec song will allow!). It is bouncy, hypnotic and lovely. 10/10

3. Bertie. An ode to her son. Sounds medieval. I love it. LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY BERTIE! 10/10

4. Mrs Bartolozzi - About a woman who loses her husband [I think!]. Don't get suckered into thinking this is about a washing machine. This song is about love and sex and longing. 10/10

5. How to be Invisible - A bouncy song with a decent amount of guitar in it. Nice. 8/10

6. Joanni - this is about Joanni of Arc(i). Has a fade in. 9/10

7. A Coral Room - about KB's mum. Very sad, very beautiful. Uplifting at the same time. Just KB and a piano. Fab. 10/10

8. Prelude - Now we get onto the second half of the album, all about a nice summers day. Ahh. This is an introduction, nothing much to it. 1/10

9. Prologue - There is something in this song that scares me! But it is amazing. The joyous words seem to clash with how she is singing. There is a verse in Italian. ace! 10/10

10. An Architect's Dream - WARNING, this song features Rolf Harris. That aside, it is a lovely song about painting. 9/10

11. The Painter's Link - Short interlude. 1/10

12. Sunset - KB describes a sunset. And it is joyous, wonderful, lifting, heart warming...starts as a lovely ballad, then wooshes into a latin-tinged fiesta at the end. 10/10

13. Aerial Tal - KB laughs along with some birds. Short interlude 2/10

14. Somewhere in Between - About threshold anxiety. 7/10

15. Nocturn - There are so many great songs on this album, but you feel it all leads up to this song. This describes a lovely day at the beach. I cannot describe it, you must hear it. It is long and lush and lazy and wonderful! 10/10!

16. Aerial - Guitars, birds, roofs. Fab end to the album (although I wonder if Nocturn would have been a better ending?) 10/10

Overall, a simply stunning piece of work. It feels more like art than just an album. This is true art-pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure music, 7 July 2006
P. I. MCCLINTON (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
This album is a true grower. Owning every Kate Bush album I was keen to hear this latest release. I made the mistake of listening to it once and thinking it wasn't up to the usual standards expected of Kate. It was then shelved until 2 months ago when I thought I would give it another go. Am I glad I did.

This is an album which I don't want people to know about. It is a personal and beautiful work of art which if you don't understand, then so be it.

Go away and hide if you don't appreciate this work - this is music at it's finest. Uncategorisable. Rock, jazz, pop - who cares? - it's fantastic music.

I listen to this album every night before I go to sleep and I am sure my dreams are sweeter because of it.

Kate - Please give us more soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knows who wrote that song of colour that blackbirds sing at dusk?, 16 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
Two albums really. Disc one is a mix of Bush quirk. Some songs are great - Mrs Bartolozzi stands out - but some aren't.

The second disc is the reason you want this in your record collection. More of a painting than a record. It's a concept album like the Hounds of Love second side the Ninth Wave and as good as that was this is better - more mature, inventive and mysterious. Every time you listen it reveals something new. It's like being relaxed and stimulated at the same time. Her voice gets better with the years, which is handy given the amount of time she takes to make records. Although as impatient as you get for new songs you forgive her as soon as they come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars kate proves that class is permament, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
Aerial is kate's 1st double album that was released after a 12 year absence away from the music the buisness. What can I say about this truly fantastic album that hasn't already been said? It is a sheer joy that not only exceeds expectations, but also cements kate's place as 1 of the truly original singer/songwriter/musician that this country has produced. Bold words you may think, but I advise anyone to purchase this album and to bask in its sheer beauty and its aural delights.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Kate Bush, 9 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
Like thousands of others I have waited a long time for this one but I can assure you it was worth it. One of the interesting things about Kate Bush is how she doen't appear to be affected by current music trends; she just does her own thing. In an age of talentless wannabes she is a positive gale of fresh air.
On A Sea of Honey, she makes the mundane profound, the everyday; sublime. Washing machines, numbers, little brown jugs all take on their own significance. We are all made up of these seemingly meaningless moments. Combined with hypnotic soundscapes, Ariel draws you in like a siren. Femaleness has always been intrinsic to her work and 'Bertie'is a celebration of absolute mother love, while 'A Coral Room' is an ode to loss.
A Sky of Honey charts the progress of a day and is filled with birdsong, or as Bertie puts it 'The sky is full of birds'. At one point she laughs and laughs, in an imitation of birdsong. Not only does she get away with it but it all makes perfect sense!
The result is a dreamlike vision, richly textured and full of colour that make you glad to be alive, exhibiting a depth and maturity which surpasses even the Hounds of Love. Don't get me wrong, she is still as peculiar as ever, only even more convincing these days. This album made me cry, not just because of its beauty, but because it is so wonderful to know that pure God-given talent still does exist. Buy it because it is the best Kate Bush album yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Aerial reception, 5 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
Twenty-eight years ago a precocious teenager dancing in a white dress and singing about Emily Brontë's Heathcliff and Cathy captivated me. Four months ago Kate Bush released the two-disc set "Aerial", her first new album since 1993's turbulent "The Red Shoes". Is the man as entranced now as was the boy then?
Kate Bush's prestige derives largely from albums of the 1980s; the chaotic, idiosyncratic pop of "The Dreaming" (1982) and the commercial yet satisfyingly deep "Hounds Of Love" (1985). "Aerial" falls short of those, but only because the first disc in this set ("A Sea Of Honey") is as plain, in places even dull, a set of songs as Kate Bush has ever released. However, the second disc ("A Sky Of Honey") is a song cycle that is at first rhapsodic, then rapturous. It is, quite simply, glorious music.
"Sea" sees Kate Bush writing on themes that, on the whole, have little of the emotional turmoil that is everywhere in her earlier work. Perhaps only "King Of The Mountain", her meditation on fame, and "A Coral Room", clearly and painfully about her deceased mother, are of this darker, more substantial, hue. "Pi" is little more than a recital of the constant, "Bertie" a jolly Elizabethan pastiche doubling as a paean to her son and two other songs are forgettable doodles. "Mrs Bartolozzi" is better, but is marred by some strained vocals towards the end.
However, "Sky" is a triumph. From the opening wood pigeons and a boy (her son?) speaking to the closing laughter of the title track, the listener is taken on a journey through a day that begins pastorally and ends in manic dancing. This is a Kate Bush who, presumably fulfilled by her "lovely little boy", having rescued her life from a fate of trivial celebrity and having overcome the sadness documented in "The Red Shoes", has found a new voice. Gone is the darkness, come are the celebrations. On its own I would have rated it at five stars. I take one off for the squib that is the first disc.
If "Sky" is Kate Bush's last musical statement, then she has signed off magnificently and this man is still entranced after all these years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album from Kate, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Aerial (Audio CD)
This is a masterpiece from Kate with some stunning tracks on the first CD and just the most lusciously beautiful 'day painting' on the 2nd CD. You don't need to wonder, just buy it.

Aerial
Aerial by Kate Bush (Audio CD - 2005)