5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 13 May 2006
Tealady2000 (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
I read somewhere that once you enter your forties and begin to become a Grumpy Old Person you are much less likely to listen to new music. Since I am in my forties and not quite ready to be a GOP, I thought I would deliberately try something new, and I'm so glad I did because this is lovely! Karen Matheson's voice is gorgeous and evokes the wild beauty of her native Argyll. Most of the songs are in Gaelic and therefore utterly incomprehensible to me but in fact that's part of the charm because you really appreciate the human voice as an instrument.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where it all started for me, 16 Mar 2009
Mr. G. Whale - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
I'll make no bones about it, this is where it all started for me. The voice of Capercaillie. Although nothing like the bands music, Karen Mathesons vocals are enough to carry off something as different as this. If you like Gaelic singing she is a superb exponent and I'm glad that she has'nt gone over to singing completely in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give your Soul a Treat, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of Karen's magical performance in Rob Roy, and I feel as if I have struck a vein of the purest gold.
On my first hearing I thought, lovely voice, great musicians (wonder what the words mean).
Second hearing, sheer quality, this is Special. The final song brought tears to my manly eyes and it felt good!
Third hearing, this CD is now one of my most precious possessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely Gaelic folk album.., 10 Dec 2011
os - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
An inspiring,life enhancing and lively slice of (mostly)Gaelic folk songs ancient and modern.This an album where everything comes together beautifully:performance,song selection and production are all first rate.As a result 'Downriver'is a very easy album to recommend, even to those readers who may not see themselves as particular fans of 'roots' music. The star of course is Karen's voice-a lovely instrument that is blessed with a purity of tone and warmth which gives everything she sings a depth of meaning and emotional impact that is truly moving.Listen out also for the superb musicianship, my favorite moment on this disc is the lament 'Crucan na Bpaiste' where Michael McGoldrick plays a heart rending melody on the pipes giving the album a chance to finish on the same haunting note with which it started.Excellent album, well worth investigating.

Top track:the piano ballad 'Chi mi Bhuaum'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic magic, 4 Dec 2012
J. Scott-mandeville "jackie veronica" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful album with Karen Matheson's voice sublimely mellifluous and melodic. Songs familiar and unfamiliar, a varied collection which will please not only Karen Matheson fans, but anyone who loves the sound of Highland music. Nearly all Gaelic but the couple of songs sung in English are lovely choices.

Wonderful to listen to anytime, but especially comforting and company in the car. A great addition for Celtic collections.

4.0 out of 5 stars National Treasure, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
Karen's beguiling Gaelic sonorous tones are heard at their best on this album.
Her performance is faultless and transports the listener to the Highlands and Islands with haunting tunes, she is truly a national treasure and I don't mean Scotland, but Britain, Gaelic is just another language of these islands like Hindi,Polish Mandarin et al.

5.0 out of 5 stars music of scotland, 21 Jan 2014
KDB (manchester england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downriver (MP3 Download)
this is definately one of the most interesting albums, performed by a unique voice of scottish gaelic music. Karen Matheson has a superb voice, but is definately more suited to singing in her native gaelic language of scotland. this album is certainly worth a listen and an addition to every scottish music collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Prompt and good value service., 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
- a fast, good-value service. I would be happy to buy from them again in future - and a lovely recording of Gaelic singing by Ms Matheson

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 3 Dec 2013
Diane L. (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
Bought this as a present for my Husband and he loves it,All in Gaelic but with the blend of Karens voice and the music you don't need to understand the words, great start to this kind of music. Delivery and service first class.

4.0 out of 5 stars The curse of "Transatlantic Sessions", 4 May 2013
Teemacs (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Downriver (Audio CD)
It's going to impoverish me. I'd never heard of Karen Matheson before I saw her there, and I simply had to have some (some Julie Fowlis is also on order). D**n "Transatlantic Sessions"!

This CD has the gorgeous "Crucan na bPaiste" (beautifully sung on TS), and this alone justifies the cost of this CD. Ms. Matheson has a gorgeous voice, and, as another reviewer rather nicely put it, the fact that I do not speak a word of Gaelic allows me to concentrate on the voice as an instrument. And what an instrument! The other instruments also perform beautifully and the recording is nice.

So, why only four stars? Not all of the songs were to my taste and some were over-long and repetitive. But on balance this is a splendid CD, and well worth having.

Downriver
Downriver by Karen Matheson (Audio CD - 2012)