4.0 out of 5 stars Great album but why only 1 disc???
Published on 25 Oct 2005 by Jason C

1.0 out of 5 stars Wet Fish! (If He Was On This Album)
I love Marillion, and though I'm more into Fish than Hogarth I think he was a worthy replacement and made some pretty good tracks...
Unfortunatly not one of them is on this album. It's absolutely terrible.
I can't even remember any of the songs and I've listened to them quite a few times.
They're not memorable, sound the same, and send you to sleep.
Published on 29 Mar 2006 by Jordan Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album but why only 1 disc???, 25 Oct 2005
This review is from: MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE (Audio CD)
This is more or less the soundtrack to the the Marbles On The Road DVD recorded at London's Astoria Club in 2004, where they performed the entire 1 disc version of the Marbles album with the excellent track Estonia thrown in for good measure. The performance from H and co. is as always excellent but it would have been so much better if we had a double cd which included the rest of the show (including the between song banter which has been edited out here!), as people who were there would know this is only about half of it. But listening to this still reminds me of a cold, windy night in Newport queing to see my favourite band for the first time! Marbles is one of Marillion's all time great albums and is right up there with Afraid of Sunlight, Brave and Anoraknophobia in its genius. I don't really know who this release is aimed at, anyone who has the 1 disc version of Marbles would be more or less buying the same album again, the avid Marillion fan would already have the dvd. Perhaps its for the the type of Marillion fan who just buys anything with their name on the front cover. (ie me!!). Don't be put off though - this is a band at the top of their game performing one of their best albums live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 12 Mar 2007
Andy (Retford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE (Audio CD)
The Marbles album came out in 2004, followed by a tour which spawned this CD and the Marbles On The Road DVD. Recorded at the Astoria Theatre this album captures the band perfectly cohesive and firing on all cylinders. Much of the earlier 'edgy' sound has gone on this album, to be replaced by a more user friendly, and dare I say it, commercial (ouch!) songwriting structure reminiscent of Keane or Travis.

The songs The Invisible Man and Neverland do hark back to earlier Marillion in the sense that they are lengthy, and comprise of much twisting and turning, tempo changes and sensitive keyboard and guitar passages. More like prog rock concertos than songs but they are brilliant.

Marbles I, II III and IV are OK although I don't really 'get' them.

The Damage is a song that is lost on me and I don't like it.

This brings me to the album's highlights. 'You're Gone' is a brilliant pop/rock song that was released as a single. It is tuneful, catchy and features great guitar work from Steve Rothery. 'Angelina' is a slower, more bluesy compostion about a phone sex girl and again Steve Rothery steals the show sounding like Dave Gilmour at times. 'Don't Hurt Yourself' is my personal favourite, (also released as a single) pacy and lively with excellent slide guitar and drums. 'Fantastic Place' is a rare attempt at a ballad but it works on every level.

Finally, 'Estonia' (not on Marbles studio album) which was inspired by the ferry disaster of the same name, and the verses allude to this event specifically. But the chorus concentrates more on Marillions' interpretation of what happens to us when we die. Far from being wrist-openingly depressing it is poignant and sensitive and features a terrific Mark Kelly keyboard solo.

Marillion have become increasingly 'progressive' and ever more accessible and I urge you to give this CD or the Marbles studio album a try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wet Fish! (If He Was On This Album), 29 Mar 2006
Jordan Smith (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE (Audio CD)
Unfortunatly not one of them is on this album. It's absolutely terrible.
They're not memorable, sound the same, and send you to sleep.

MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE
MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE by Marillion (Audio CD - 2005)