5.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy... a bargain with the Anti-virus :-)
This program has improved alot... I was the proud owner of v5 and now it's got even better since I've upgraded to v6.

An excellent utility suite...far better and less memory hungry than Norton System-works.

Published on 31 Mar. 2006 by Shay Glenn

2.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive, but . . .
Published on 28 Feb. 2007 by Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good buy... a bargain with the Anti-virus :-), 31 Mar. 2006
Shay Glenn (Derry, Co.Derry. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)

The icing on the cake with this is the Firewall and Anti-virus. Kaspersky Anti-virus is becoming the best in the industry with updates every hour and good stability. It is used by experts that don't want the hassle that Norton and McAfee throw at them.
Before Kaspersky I was a Norton fan but found that with a good PR and Marketing team you can make any piece of nonsense look good... Norton is bad..really bad. I've never had an infection with kaspersky and I use my laptop in unsecured areas such as in Uni, Home, Work and hot-spots - both Wireless and LAN.

The guy just below complained about system mechanic because of the anti-virus... his reason was, "that it conflicted with his other anti-virus!" WTF--- what does he expect.. never install more than one anti-virus program on your PC at one time... it WILL conflict! Also.. when installing system mechanic it Warns about this by showing a splash screen that you have to click OK to so you show you understand... how did he miss that!!

2.0 out of 5 stars comprehensive, but . . ., 28 Feb. 2007
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
A seemingly thorough piece of software that will keep your computer neat and tidy and functioning, BUT if you do have any technical issues, then do not expect help from Iolo. Their standard response to any problem is "try our knowledge base", assuming that you are too stupid to have started there, and then an emailed report of the problem encountered is just left and left and eventually you find another piece of software that will do the same job without problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars All-in-one Package to keep you safe!, 11 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
Last year I used System Mechanic 5 Professional, and recently I changed over to System Mechanic 6 Professional.
This is a package that covers it all!
I was very pleased with their previous package (5), and their latest version (6) is also very good.
It hasn't given me any problems with accessing the internet at all, and it installed itself very easily.
It constantly monitors your overall system and it tells you what needs to be done to keep your PC in top condition, all you have to do is click 1 button and it is done automatically.
It updates the Virus package on an hourly basis, you can tell the package when you want to have your virus or spyware scans to be carried out, etc, etc, it really is like having a Technical Mechanic at home.
The Firewalls work very well, it gives you various option for the settings, including a stealth mode.
What I also like about the package is that you can either decide yourself what needs to be done (with possible virusses or adware/spies), or you can leave the decisions completely up to the package, and it will safely carry out your instructions.
I have given it 4 stars and not 5 because it does take up rather a bit of memory, but having said that, I certainly think it is worth it, and I would strongly recommend it, it has kept my PC stable and totally virus free for a very long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Software, 6 Jan. 2007
Stewart Hill "stewartscotland" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
Having used System Mechanic Pro 5 and 6 all I have to say is: it just gets better and better.

Not only have I installed 6 on my desktop, my laptop, my two work machines, my friends machines and basically every computer I have owned for years. Never one problem, 100% reliable, couldn't ask for a better piece of software.

I don't use the firewall as I have zone alarm, so I can't talk about that, but everything else works fine.

I don't understand why the other reviewers have had problems, I've been using this for years and never one problem, and what's more it keeps my machines free of clutter, and more importantly keeps them quick!

P.S. You really need more than 1Gb of RAM for System Mechanic 6, or else you'll find that XP and other system processes uses so much RAM that System Mechanic will keep wanting to recover your RAM.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy!, 31 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
Avoid System Mechanic like the plague, unless you like having your PC screwed up that is. In particular, if your PC is in a LAN behind a router, you'll really appreciate the way it prevents other PCs from accessing your shared network drive, thus "improving the PC's security".
It took me three days to sort out what it had done (there was no log, or any way of rolling back the changes). And I'm supposedly a systems expert. Others have been less lucky and been forced to reinstall Windows to recover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fussy software, 5 Mar. 2006
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
I must admit that I had a lot of trouble with this to begin with but what with it costing so much I was determined to get it to work! The answer (for me, anyway) was to convert from FAT32 to NTFS. Now (touch wood) it seems to run alright although the anti-hacker has disappeared.

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid like the plague!, 18 May 2006
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
As with a previous review of this sofware, within 2 weeks of install my computer was totally scr**ed. Too many problems to repair so did a complete reinstall of windows etc and have reverted back to system mechanic 5 which I had been using with no problems at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 10 Dec. 2005
This review is from: System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) (CD-ROM)
I bought this to give better protection on my pc. However once it was loaded i was denied access to the internet. All i could do was send and receive e-mails. I sent Iola an e-mail with the problems and they sent an e-mail with a web link!! Eventualy got through on the phone to the help desk in the states, and hey presto it turns out that to get access to the web all i had to do was uninstall System Mechanic 6 Proffesional and have no Firewall or Virus Blocker. What a waste of cash spent.

System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC)
System Mechanic 6 Professional (PC) by iolo Technologies (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: £25.80