5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended
Had the 60Gb ipod (video) for about a month now and am very pleased with it. Would recommend you immediately buy an Agent 18 shield for it though to avoid all the problems about scratches. The shield covers the ipod's white case while still allowing you to use all the functions, it leaves the ipod looking good and doesn't bulk it out too much.
I guess one of the...
Published on 5 April 2006 by T. Gore

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but will it last
Great storage, battery life, photo capability to TV is fab (but the previous version had that), I like the video capability more than i thought, i'm sure to watch a tv show/film when available in the UK.
Published on 27 Oct. 2005 by Mark Edgington

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 5 April 2006
T. Gore "Tim Gore" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod - 60GB - White [video playback] MA003B/A (Electronics)
I guess one of the things you might want to buy the ipod for is it's style and, like it or not, becoming part of that ipod & Apple 'scene'. You can finally say you've got an 'ipod' without actually meaning something else. And you won't be disappointed as the quality and feel of the ipod is excellent. Importantly the quality of the sound and video is also first rate. I've had an iriver H120 for about a year now and the ipod is as good. The only thing the ipod misses out against the iriver is a surround sound effect, but you can buy earphones that do the same thing and it's certainly not a reason to avoid the ipod. I've heard people talking about the volume not being that great but can say it's plenty - if you went beyond about 2/3rds you'd be deaf in a month anyway. In other ways the ipod is well ahead, features and ease of use are what you would want and this follows through to the itunes software and music store. I wouldn't buy any other accessories for the ipod (e.g. mains adaptor) until you've used it for a while and thought carefully what you really need. I've found charging my ipod through the USB cable, for example, to be fine so far and you wouldn't need to shell out for an adaptor unless you knew you were going to be away from your PC for a while.
As for storage capacity, I've been ripping CDs at 192Kbs and with about 150+ CDs so far uploaded, plus one 4min video and a couple of dozen photos, I've only used up 16Gb with about 39Gb left to fill. You actually might find it difficult to fill your ipod and even if you do you'll still only listen to the same few tracks! But at least you've got everything in one handy little package.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Really Are Worth It!, 7 Jan. 2006
I've personally never had any other iPod, I used to own a 1GB MP3 player, but as my music collection grew, my MP3 player didn't.
I eventually decided to get the 60GB ipod with video, and I've owned for about a week and a half now, and so far all I have had is pure quality!
I borrowed my friends 40GB 4th generation iPod to see the difference and there is a big one!! The illusion that the 5G iPod is wider is NOT true, the bigger screen makes you think it is, but when I put the 5G ipod on top of the 4G iPod, they are both exactly the same width, but it is thinner.
The battery seems to last a fair amount of time, for video I have managed to watch a 2 and a quarter hour movie, then 2 friends episodes before the battery was nearly drained, but I could still play music for about another hour.
I also purchased the Belkin Battery Pack for iPod, which allows you to run your iPod of 4 x AA batteries. This gave me enough battery to watch to 2 hour movies and play music for a few hours off one set of 4 x AA batteries.
The iPod is nice and light and I can easily put it in my pocket without trying to squash it in.
I have found the video quality of the video excellent and when I output it to my TV, it looks fine. Not quite as good as DVD quality, but better than video.
The Reason I bought the 60GB version of the iPod is because I work in computers and have to save ALOT of different types of files. The iPod works excellently as an external hard drive and I have found it incredibly useful for transferring files between my various computers, my work, and any other places I may need to take files or data.
Obviously the music quality of the iPod is amazingly excellent and sounds beautiful. I headphones packaged with the iPod are great and sound great. I admit its a shame that Apple don't stock their iPods with the same things they used to, but they supply you with enough. The iPod doesn't lack included accessories, it just doesn't boast any either.
I think that the video iPod is excellent and well worth the money, if your thinking about buying one, do it! They are great, they look great, feel great sound great and work great!
I personally got the white as my friend's black 30GB iPod with video shows all the marks and scratches much Moore prominently than my white one does, I also think that the white version looks nicer, white is the sign of Apple and the sign of an iPod so get the white one!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought long and hard before buying this, 26 May 2006
Celery (Northampton) - See all my reviews
I spent probably a month or two weighing up all the options for which portable player to go for. I looked and listened to the Creative Vision M as the main competitor and I finally went for this. If I thought it was a bad choice I would honestly say so, but I can't. It is a very slick package combined with itunes, seemless and well designed. To help prospective buyers:

i) This product is best simply for music and lots of it. 60GB is loads of space even at 320kbs. My entire 20 year music collection took up 20GB. However, buy new headphones for it straight away. I recommend Sennheiser CX300's which are about £30-£40. They block out a lot of external sound and have great bass and treble response.

ii) If your focus is videos then this product is not aimed at you. The screen is too small for video/film watching.

iii)If you want to look digital photos in full glory - again it is not for you, screen is too small. The pics are virtually thumbnails. If you store lots of snaps to show your friends its great - if they don't mind thumbnails.

iii) If you are a digital photographer who needs a method of backing up your photos from camera as well as lots of music then this is a great way of doing it when combined with the Apple Camera Connector. I myself have a Canon 5d which shoots 6mb jpegs and 12mb RAW files. I can now have my entire music collection in one place to take on hols and I can also backup my shots in the field. You will be able to view your jpegs but your RAW's will just appear as the basic file, which is fine for me, I just want a backup. You can them download them when you return. This is one of the most useful aspects about the ipod.

Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 out of 5 for the iPOD, 25 Jan. 2006
After a long research on different types of MP3 players and many visits to shops to see them in person I decided to buy the 60G iPod video. I don’t regret the buy. I think it is an amazing player and the features are great. I’m very happy with the iPod. So far I had it for four weeks and everything has been running smoothly.
I have used the video features only a few times and it is very cool, the display is very small but clear, also you have the iPod close to your eyes so I don’t see it as an inconvenience.
NOTE: The battery doesen’t last long when using the videos. Remember this is an MP3 player with video feature, so if you want it mainly for videos I would not recommend it, this is for the occasional video every now and then.
The photo feature is very cool, again the display is small but clear.
The software iTunes is a good piece of software, it has some annoying faults, but overall is o.k.
The reason I rated the 60G iPod Video four stars and
not five is because of this:
·It is not 60G as advertised, it only comes with 55G
of usable capacity
·You can’t fit 15,000 songs as advertised (maybe if
you only put punk songs). I have 20G so far and I have
around 3,200 songs in it (but I do put the album cover
jpegs for each song, so that uses some memory but not
that much).
·It does not come with an AC charger. You need to
charge the iPod via the USB cable into a computer.
·It is vulnerable to scratches very easy.
·And… The thing that I really hate about this and any
other iPod is the fact that the batteries are really
expensive and complicated to replace, but, that’s part
of APPLE’s strategy.
Overall, I do recommend the 60G iPod Video but remember all these electronic gadgets are in a way ‘disposable’ because in 4 years from now this model will be completely obsolete. That’s the way all technology is…

4.0 out of 5 stars Headaches to start with, but well worth the effort, 27 Jun. 2006
Deepayan Basu Ray "Deepayan" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this iPod for a week now, and it has been an experience of two halves.

The Bad Stuff:

The iPod 60GB has some seriously picky firmware, and will more often than not give you a headache to install. Unfortunately for me, I had to re-install Windows XP - not as hard as you think, but tedious nonetheless. Once that was done, everything finally worked, the iPod was recognised on the computer, and things were starting to copy over... or so I thought. I experienced problems with downloading photos from my camera (a soft reset fixed that problem), and have yet to figure out how to copy over music videos onto the unit. Oh yeah, and it scractches a little bit too easily.

The one beef I have is the ridiculous strategy to make every bit of essential kit as a separate accessory. You'd think for £260, you'd at least get an AC Charger... this is just taking the piss.

The Good Stuff:

It's a great little machine once you get all your tracks on there. Playlists are easy enough to use, and the sound quality is great. As a jazz musician, I have some pretty high standards, and this one has met nearly all the expectations.

Recommendations: Wait a bit to see if the firmware has been dealt with. If you are comfortable tinkering with your computer, go for it. Once the initial technical problems are overcome, this machine promises to be worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A comparison to the Creative Zen Vision M opposition, 31 May 2006
C. Hatfield (Leafy Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Based upon several weeks/months of use of both the 60GB Ipod and Creative's Zen Vision M, I offer the following summary of my personal opinion..

What Apple does better:

Click wheel ease of use - less (over) sensitive than creative Vision M pad. More intuitive controls.

Bigger choice of accessories.

Styling.

Bigger disk capacity (creative only offer a 30GB version)

What Apple does worse:

Software is not as good. Nothing to convert videos to a suitable format. Software for auto naming of tracks and conversion of a lot of CD's to MP3 is not nearly as intuitive.

Screen not nearly as good.

Where I can't split hairs:

I found the sound quality and battery life to be comparable.

Both (once you've got used to them) feel good to use.

Both suffer appallingly from scratches. The ipod came straight out of the box into an iSkin protective case and it marked on the 'shiny side' immediately. God alone knows how!

Try them both before you buy to see which you prefer to operate, but note that the computer software that comes with the creative product is superior. You pays yer money......

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but will it last, 27 Oct. 2005
So why 3 stars? Well i have had my ipod 4 days and treated it with optimal care, but even this has left light scratches on the surface of the screen/body (which can be seen in direct light, but not in normal use). This concerns me as if this occurs in 4 days, what will it be like in 4 months. I have done nothing more than push it into the case and use the click wheel.
I'd only buy it if you want to treat it like a new baby. luckliy i also have a new baby so get plenty of practice :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but a bit strapped for extras, 24 July 2006
I'm very impressed with my new ipod video.

The sound quality is good and the video quality is actually pretty amazing so watching a film on a long train journey or flight is very easy and enjoyable (You can even read subtitles)

it would have got 5 stars from me except for Apple being notoriously tight again. Mine was a gift but had it not been I would have been seriously annoyed at having to shell out for all the extra bits that you do really need - a mains adapter for one! a dock, a case (very easy to scratch) etc etc

If your video playback freezes and loses sound (as mine did) it is simply because the fimware v1.1 has a glitch in it, to make it all perfect again simply downgrade your firmware to v1.0 (google it to find out how)

5.0 out of 5 stars 60GB of pure fun, 21 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
Excellent piece of kit. Superb quality, although like all expensive bits of technology, you need to look after it. I would recommend you choose your headphones carefully, I bought sennheiser......not sure. Buy a case. Video quality is awesome. Have got it synched up with the car system.......60GB of digital music available on tap thru the car hifi......amazing. If you are a runner or gym rat, this is as essential as good trainers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good but could be better., 8 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
My iPod looked great for about 2 days but it scratches so easily it now looks a bit secondhand, not good enough really. Would also benefit from better headphones and a mains charger, it's an expensve product after all.

With good headphones it sounds excellent although some EQ settings on the iPod cause distortion. Cannot have custom EQs on iPod which is disappointing.

Should be called iPod 55Gb, although I've got 6500 songs on so far and it's only half full so not really a problem.

Screen is bright and sharp, a bit small to be watching long video on in my opinion and it really hammers the battery life which is nowhere near as good as Apple claim.

iPod generally very easy to use, iTunes also pretty good particularly the free single of the week which occasionally gives you some great songs and gets you listening to artists you wouldn't normally hear.

Generally I'm pretty pleased with it, it does all the things I wanted.

Apple iPod - 60GB - White [video playback] MA003B/A