Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 November 2006
This is a first rate album showcasing these 3 young men and their voices. I was pleased to see a variety of music styles offered to show their abilities. As a trainer of a children's choir, I would LOVE to have boys(or girls) like this in my choir! A great thank you to the music publishers for supporting these boys and their music career, however short their treble voice may last- it is a great help to us church musicians to see quality music being promoted. Only one negative comment, it would have been nice for the cd jacket to give more information about the boys, and details on which one sings on which pieces. I look forward to seeing more young musicians in the spotlight!
on 20 December 2006
This takes me back to when I was younger. Ecce Homo is a masterpiece and the other items they sing are just fantastic. I actually bought this album the day it came out and I was not disappointed at all.

The songs are beautifully recorded, the accoustics and resonance of the room they are singing in sounds like the usual brilliant churches or cathedrals I used to sing in. This album takes me back, if you were a chorister and want to listen to when you were younger get this album. I paid £9.99 for it and I would pay that again for it, even though it is a lot cheaper on Amazon it is that good. If you want peaceful and entertaining music get this album, it is one of my faves and I love singing along even if i cannot no longer reach the notes of old :)
on 8 December 2005
I first heard a selection of some of the songs from this album on Sarah Kennedy's early morning raido show, and just had to have the album. Their voices are quite sublime and it is a real treat to hear such talent. Their version of Pie Jesu is breathtaking and by far the best Ive heard, its also great to hear them do complete justice to the final awesome track Miserere which is a real choral masterpiece. I am not quite sure what some reviewers expected to hear with the track listed as shown and given the fact that the album is called The Choirboys! I found listening to it an extremely moving experience and cannot fault it-I just hope there will be lots more to come very soon!!
on 1 November 2006
My Dad bought this album for my Mum last Christmas because she heard a couple of the songs on Classic FM and loved them. It's a beautiful album and they reach such high notes with what seems like no effort! And yet when you read the booklet in the CD case, you discover that they are just normal teenage boys! Their voices are so pure and I would say this is the best album of this genre around.
on 1 December 2005
This album is just beautiful. The concept is pretty simple - three young choirboys with wonderful voices singing a mixture of classical and classic songs - but the result is just phenomenal. The boy's voices are so pure and the album has a truly endearing feel of innocence to it. The combination of classical and modern songs works brilliantly and there are so many album highlights; on the classical side Pie Jesu and Panis Angelicus are all wonderful and their takes on more modern tracks such as He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother and Tears In Heaven work just as well. The latter in fact is sensational - The Choirboys version of Eric Clapton's classic song has to be heard to be believed and I defy anyone not to be genuinely moved after hearing it. Other songs worthy of special mention are 'Do You Hear What I Hear?' - which features a duet with the fabulous New Zealander Hayley Westenra and a lovely cover of the Christmas classic 'Walking In The Air'. This album will appeal to so many people and it has the potential to be absolutely huge.
Released in the run up to Christmas, I wouldn't be surprised if The Choirboys provided the Yuletide soundtrack to households up and down the country.
on 2 December 2005
Sorry to totally discount view of he who has been to Hampton Court.
These voices are by no means average.... it is exceptional to be able to easily reach the notes in Miserere and perhaps that's it, they make it sound easy because they have all had training as choristers and it shows! Amazing blend of traditional and modern pieces. I am delighted to have a copy and all my friends are getting it for Christmas. oops sorry now you all know! Lizzie B
on 15 February 2010
It's not the voices that disappoint - average or not - but the choice of music. It seems that every time a new set of boy's voices have been discovered or founded, the same old warhorses are flogged to display their qualities, including Allegri's Miserere, Webber's Pie Jesu, Franck's Panis Angelicus and Fauré's In Paradisum, alongside a fair amount of New Age music. It seems that the producers are less inclined to follow less-trampled choral paths - which is indeed quite difficult with a treble choir of only three voices - as well as giving the average listener a choice of average songs and hymns. Nowhere is this clearer than in Mendelssohn's Hear My Prayer in which the final stanza - O for the wings of a dove - is stripped from its choir, leaving just a (boy) soprano. Yes, music from the past should and could be approached with frankness, but here this is not done for musical reasons; Mendelssohn's piece is just stripmined to sell a boy's voice. The boy in question sings indeed like an angel, but the dove is sorely missing its wings. This is instant music for instant consumption, and it is just harder to accept knowing that England has 700 years of magnificent choral traditions, from Byrd to Britten, so to speak. So, why settle for mediocrity?
on 3 December 2005
I love this album and do not think they have average voices. The boys each have their own individual tone, yet combine beautifully. I highly recommend people to buy this as there is something there for everyone. My 8 year old loves it.
on 6 January 2006
I bought this album becuase I liked a lot of the tracks within it, and thought that it'd be nice to hear other "renditions" of them. Particularly the "tears in heaven," and "danny boy," and i have to say I wasn't disappointed.
The three boys have beautiful voices, enhanced by expert cathedral tuition. However this is their downfall. In many pieces, they sing beautifully, and "together" as a choir very well. But one gets the distinct impression that it's just a load of words to them. There's very little meaning and emotion shown within the music, which to me is a great disappointment. This is particularly noticable in the otherwise fantastic rendition of "Walking in the Air."
Otherwise, a fantastic album with some beautiful peices of music.
on 28 December 2005
After all the hype and publicity that had preceded the release of this album, I was expecting something special. Indeed, these three young men certainly have the most pleasing voices. Eric Clapton’s ‘Tears in Heaven’ is extremely emotive and is my personal favourite track. As many will know, this track was released as a single, the proceeds of which are going to the NSPCC. ‘Danny Boy’ is another track that might well cause you to reach for the Kleenex, sung, as pointed out by another reviewer, the way it should be. A slight disappointment for me is the production. Under the hands of Ian Tilley, who co-produces the Libera CDs, I expected a much fuller sound. The boys’ voices are often lost in the ambience of the church where the recording took place. Making any sort of recording in that sort of environment is fraught with problems at the best of times and I feel that much better results would have been achieved had it been done in a studio. It might well be that they were going for the ‘natural’ sound that the acoustics of a church might give but I feel that it didn’t quite work. Still, I would not wish to detract from the obvious talents of these young men and this is still an album that I would recommend. I look forward to hearing their future offerings…hopefully recorded in a studio!