5.0 out of 5 stars A tiny epic of a raucously silent film
I remembered Kim Ki-Duk from viewing Seom (The Isle) a few years back. I didn't particularly like the film, but it definately stuck in my head. So I wasn't expecting such great things from 3-Iron (a.k.a Binjip which means Empty House in Korean).
It's brilliantly directed, with strong fluid shots. It has a great soundtrack, full of mystery and ghostly appeal. The...
Published on 5 Sept. 2005 by Shan Hon

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
"Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter......" is one of my top 5 films of all time so I was looking forward to this film by the same director and I was spurred on by good reviews on Amazon. However I was somewhat disappointed by a rather dull and pedestrian film. There was zero chemistry between the two main stars and the ending was rather muddled and implausible. Saying that...
Published on 29 Dec. 2011 by gawayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 Dec. 2014
satisfactory

2.0 out of 5 stars This one escapes me, 14 Oct. 2008
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
I yield to no-one in my admiration of Kim Ki-Duk, and "The Bow" The Bow [2005] is definitely one of the greatest movies in World Cinema, but this one, a comparatively conventional love story between two young people, completely escapes me. There is a tag at the end of the movie, to the effect that sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between illusion and reality in life. Here I wonder if Kim can tell the difference either. I think his kind of Magic Realism sits ill with a contemporary urban setting of mobile phones and CD players, it needs a timeless setting like in "The Bow" and "Spring, Summer...." Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter And Spring [2004].

I also have problems with the characters. All the minor characters are cardboard good or bad (the abusive husband, the police chief), and here the fact that the two central characters never speak presents me with a problem. I can accept it in other situations where the protagonists have known each other for years in an isolated environment; here it works for the first third of the film where he is allowing her space to recover from abuse, but later seems merely perverse and, eventually, irritating. We know nothing about these people except that she (Sun Hwa) has been abused and he (Tae-Suk)has been a student. Under the circumstances it is hard to care one way or the other.

Towards the end of the movie, Tae-Suk is released from prison and revisits the people he has met earlier in the movie, sometimes playfully and once for revenge on the Police Chief. All of them sense his presence but none except the police chief see him (though we don't). Finally he "moves in" with Sun-Hwa and her abusive husband (she - and we - see him and he doesn't). The knowledge of his presence makes her act considerately towards the husband, and he in turn softens. The final shot shows the two lovers embracing standing on a set of scales which show no weight - a splendid image of love transcendent.

But - has he been released from prison? Was he killed there? Is he really there, in Tae-Suk's memory or a ghost? Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions, but the realism of settings and filming elsewhere prompts you to want to know the answers. However you view it, it seems to me the ending is in some way a justification for staying in an abusive relationship, which raises questions of sexism which also nag at some of Kim's earlier films.

With a director of Kim's stature, I'm prepared to believe this is all my fault, not his, and I'll give the film another try. Even if my first reaction is right, every great director is entitled to the occasional flop, and I'll eagerly await his next

5.0 out of 5 stars "Kim Ki-Duk Makes Silence Sing", 7 Jan. 2008
Ion-bogdan Dumitrescu (Bucharest, Romania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not an Asian Movie Fan, but 3-Iron (Bin Jip) is a true masterpiece. Silent, yet so loud. Repetitive, yet so surprising. Simply put, a pleasure to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars the genius of non stop silence, 8 Sept. 2009
J. A. Eyon "Little Raven" (Seattle - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
to use a lot of words in a review of this film would do the film a disservice

the young man in this story is a tad bit immoral - he steals into homes of vacationers to eat and sleep - evidently without tarnsihing his kharma - hell - even the sin of an accident he causes can be washed away with a very few tears

one time - he meets a woman with a freshly bruised face - who escapes her brutal husband by joining him in his meandering lifestyle - the connection of this appealing couple is so tender that spoken words arent necessary - and their sexual restraint only intensifies the air of eroticism

i suppose aiding this extremely attractive woman enhances his kharma - as does the repair of the broken cd player - even tho he does it for his own purposes - hopefully - the behavior presented doesnt represent buddhist ethics

aside from that - this is an unusually affecting love story - with buddhist metaphor used to good effect

nothing in this film is rushed - nothing in this film is quite predictable - least of all - the ending

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
Koreans again at there best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best film ever, 17 Aug. 2010
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film, I don't quite know how to describe it, there is hardly any dialogue but you get so absorbed by the characters that you don't really notice that there isn't much talking going on. This film is bittersweet, if you enjoy indie films or something a bit different I think you may like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 26 Oct. 2008
Mr. G. Sturdy "sakura amazon" (Yarm, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
Kim Ki-duk is a master of minimalist film - check out 'The Bow' also. This is intelligent, funny, glorious....a TRUE movie - experience. Brilliantly acted. A real keeper of a movie, rewards repeated viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful film!, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: 3-Iron [DVD] (DVD)
a must watch for international film lovers! moving and beautifully directed, a great film by anyone's standards. buy it now

3-Iron [DVD]
3-Iron [DVD] by Kim Ki Duk (DVD - 2005)