Published on 24 Oct. 2007 by mcv

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but they are expensive
There's not a lot you can really say about an ink cartridge.

Yes they are decent quality inks but we all know they are expensive for what they are and these particular cartridges are chipped which makes it a bit more of a pain to use compatible inks in certain printers.

I've only marked this down to 3 stars due to the price and chip.

By...
Published on 2 Mar. 2007 by Mr. A. J. Kelsall

5.0 out of 5 stars Rate the product, not the delivery, and check where you buy from, 24 Oct. 2007
mcv (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK) (Office Product)
I've read a lot of negative reviews and low ratings on Canon inks, so I wanted to point out a couple of things to think about to those that read the reviews and using them before buying. You may find this same review on the different ink colours from Canon, but I don't work for Canon and I'm not a fanboy of theirs either (I prefer the digital cameras from their main rival actually!) - I simply use Canon printers and inks.

1) Some reviews are not rating the product, they are rating the delivery cost of the item. Whilst this is an important part of the purchase, I don't think it is justified to include this in the rating because Amazon provide free delivery if you spend £15 or over. This can easily be done by buying two cartridges. Myself, I tend to buy four or five at a time in order to have plenty of spares before large print jobs.

2) I believe some of the negative comments about delivery arise because the products are being bought from a Marketplace Seller and not Amazon themselves. Yes, clicking on 'Add to Shopping Basket' does automatically order from the vendor listed after 'Availability' (look carefully next time), but if you look to the right of the page, under 'More Buying Choices' and click on 'x used and new', you can order from Amazon themselves. Granted, it is more expensive but the free delivery makes it cheaper overall.

3) If you are not really concerned about the quality of the printed output, then yes, you can certainly buy a cheaper alternative from a third party. However, don't expect the printed results to be as good as those using Canon's inks and papers because all printer manufacturer's papers and inks have been developed to work best WITH EACH OTHER. The chemical properties of paper and the ink vary between manufacturers so different combinations produce different results, eg. Epson papers produce a magenta tint on Canon printers, etc. Don't take my word for it though, this topic has been well researched by Photographic and Computing magazine reviews, as well as average users who have experimented expensively (like me). If you really want or need the best quality prints, perhaps because they are being sold, then you cannot get better results than using the manufacturer's original ink.

4) Be aware that certain third party inks MAY (not WILL) damage your print heads, which can be costly to repair. There are several online forums testifying to this.

5) Compared to the price of other large brand inks, Canon's ink prices are about the same. Have a look on this very website at HP's inks if you want to check. Bear that in mind when reading reviews complaining at the price of the product. (I seem to remember that at one time HP ink was officially the 5th most expensive liquid in the world, even more expensive than top notch Champagne!)

I hope this is useful or helpful to readers, but feel free to disregard anything I have said as merely the opinion of another mortal!
MCV

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality inks, 18 July 2007
G. Carter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK) (Office Product)
Unfortunately one does need to use Canon chipped inks to make the ink usage software work properly. Postage rates are high, check all suppliers there is one which charges a flat rate of £4 per delivery plus 50p per item so mutliple orders at the same time are considerably cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rate the product, not the delivery, and check where you buy from, 23 Nov. 2007
mcv (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews

3) If you are not really concerned about the quality of the printed output, then yes, you can certainly buy a cheaper alternative from a third party. However, don't expect the printed results to be as good as those using Canon's inks and papers because all printer manufacturer's papers and inks have been developed to work best WITH EACH OTHER. The chemical properties of paper and the ink vary between manufacturers so different combinations produce different results, eg. Epson papers produce a magenta tint on Canon printers, etc. Don't take my word for it though, this topic has been well researched by Photographic and Computing magazine reviews, as well as average users who have experimented expensively (like me). If you really want or need the best quality prints, perhaps because you are selling them, then you cannot get better results than using the manufacturer's original ink.

MCV

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but they are expensive, 2 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK) (Office Product)
There's not a lot you can really say about an ink cartridge.

I've only marked this down to 3 stars due to the price and chip.

By shopping with Amazon and using the free delivery option I did at least save a few pounds compared to certain high street stores.

Printers are subsidised by the high price of inks but I'd rather pay more for the printer and less for the inks.

If you want to play safe and use genuine inks then at least shop around and don't forget to include postage costs in your comparisions. I got this cheaper from Amazon than I could on eBay or Amazon Marketplace when delivery costs were taken into account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with the quality, 27 Aug. 2006
Schnuggles (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I don't normally review ink cartridges but feel I must respond to the other reviewer (Donna). I have purchased a Canon ip4200 and am using it with the Canon inks. I have done various tests on different brands of paper with varying results. Some cheapo PC Line paper had a horrible bluish tinge to all prints, Fuji paper just looked blurred and horrid....

However, when using the Canon paper the prints are amazing. Obviously Canon are only going to test their printers with their inks and their papers but their papers aren't as expensive as, say, Epson's.

Really, really impressed with the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, 5 Dec. 2009
A. Lowe (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
If you want best photo quality from your Canon printer (mine is the MP610), don't compromise - go for Canon original cartridges. They may cost a lot more than compatibles, but are worth it. If you only ever want average prints, by all means go for compatible cartridges and paper, but then why buy a high quality printer in the first place? Also, I would advise against swapping between originals and compatibles. Once used, compatible ink will have 'contaminated' the print head - can you be sure it won't be compromised in some way? I tried several different brands of compatible cartridges in earlier HP printers and had a problem EVERY time.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no substitute for the real thing!, 20 Mar. 2009
eljay (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
It's agreed that what constitutes a good print is a very subjective matter, so I have to accept that those folk who make claim to getting brilliant inkjet photographic prints from compatible and re-manufactured cartridges are genuinely satisfied with the product.
But having tried a lot of them myself, and suffered smudging, poor drying, clogged nozzles - not to mention unrealistic colours; I have come to the conclusion that the old adage "You only get what you pay for" does apply here.
Sure, they are more expensive than the non-originals, but the outcome of this is that some really good printers are out there at half the cost you might have expected ten years ago because the manufacturers claw some of their development costs back via the consumables.
But if you want the best results, with consistently trouble-free printing, your best bet is always with the real thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware !, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK) (Office Product)
Alleged to be genuine Canon and advertised boxed, but IJT Direct sent an unboxed cartridge that appears very unlikely to be a Canon original and on which it is impossible to check whether it is still within its sell by date as this appears only on the box which of course was not present. Very unhappy with this purchase and will never use IJT again. Read what the Advertising Standards Authority had to say about IJT before you buy from them. - Wish I had done!

4.0 out of 5 stars An adaptable ink!, 8 Oct. 2006
M. Little (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I recently bought a Canon MB500 printer following the demise of my much loved Epson, and used Canon Chromalife Ink for the first time.

I am delighted with Chromalife's performance. But the point I should like to make is that I am using it with leftover Epson Archival Matte paper - which it is definitely NOT intended for, Archival Matte is supposed to be used with pigment inks only - and the results are perfect.

Chromalife is adaptable, clearly! The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is that it seems rather expensive and chipped cartridges are unwelcome, but eventually I may forgive even those. In the meantime thank you, Canon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just better than compatibles, 27 Mar. 2010
I have been using Canon inks for quite some years now, and have also used compatibles for a lot of prints.

I have a Pixma Ip5200 and a Pro 9000 Mark II printer, both of which use the Cli 8 series.

Some of the compatibles I have tried really do seem to give excellent results, but I have always found that they tend to fade in even quite dim light. Different colours fade at different rates, so I find photographs of people with dark hair end up, after some months, as showing crimson hair instead. Canon inks seem to be much more colour-fast.

If you want quality, stick with Canon inks.

Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK)