5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 70-300mm lens, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG Lens For Pentax Digital & Film SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I recently purchased a Sigma 70-300mm lens for my Pentax digital SLR.
It is a realy good lens, not too heavy, a very good zoom, easy to use, maintaining a sharp image right through the range
and the macro is fist class.
I have always used Pentax lenses but this one from Sigma is considerably cheaper and does everything a lens costing twice the price can do.
I have been an amateur photographer for over 40 years, used all sorts of cameras and lenses and would definately recommend the Sigma lens to other users.

5.0 out of 5 stars keen photographer, 12 Jun 2011
I bought this product purely by reading the reviews on this site, some good, some bad, some indifferent. what a bargain, this lens give pinpoint sharpness to the user, motor is very quiet, focus is quick and simple, macro is very good for close-ups, to me this lens is a one stop shop, only one very slight drawback is that the lens is a little heavier than expected but nothing to be unduly worried about

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lens, 13 July 2011
This is in my opinion a well built and very nice lens for the price. I have tried it for a few days and had really good photos. The AF works really well and the Macro function is really useful. Five stars, for this price you will not find a better lens i think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lens, 31 Aug 2011
Bought as a present for my wife for our holiday, so far shes been playing with it and other than it being heavy (understandable considering its size!) its brilliant and she is very pleased. Looking forward to using it at the rugby next month!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens, 8 Oct 2011
A. Reader (London, England) - See all my reviews
I didn't have huge expectations from this lens. Bought it for a Pentax K-x and wanted something longer than the 50-200mm zoom which came with it. The Pentax 50-300mm was much more expensive, nearly triple the price. This lens becomes a fantastic buy for Pentax because the stabilisation is built into the camera body, maybe less so for Nikon/Canon users.

Anyway, it's one of my favourite lenses, even compared to some which are far more expensive. It's big, especially with the hood on it, but light in weight, it's reliable and consistent. I haven't yet tried the macro, but it's nice to have the facility.

The main thing about it is the delicacy of colours. There's something about the lighter shades which it does extremely well, it's a 'happy' lens, and in comparison (if you have a look at the View and Share Images for the different lenses) the more expensive Pentax lenses seem a little muddy (which they're not, it's just by comparison). That applies just as much, by the way, to the Canon/Nikon lenses and bodies which seem much more clinical and sober than this lens does on Pentax.

So even though I was looking for a secondhand Pentax 50-300mm, which would be a bit sharper, I don't think I'll bother now. If I want sharp, I can always just stop this lens down to f8-f11 and use a tripod. Sharpness for its own sake in photography is vastly overrated unless you're doing something technical. This lens has magic, which you cannot measure with a test chart.

I'd much rather have the pleasing colour rendition of this Sigma, which is excellent for portraiture and candid photos of people, especially in decent light. For portraiture, I would much rather use this lens on Pentax than my Canon 100mm f2 on the 600D, which is a far more expensive combination. If this lens were broken or stolen I'd order another one without hesitation.

The only thing you need to be careful of is that, when removing it from the camera body, it's wise to turn the auto/manual switch on the camera to manual, as it's too easy to grab the lens by the bit that focuses and strip the gears. That's not a criticism of the lens, just something to watch. Turn the switch back to auto once the lens is off the body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Macro Lens, 6 Jan 2012
N. Cerqueira (London) - See all my reviews
I have bought this lens back in 2010. I was trying to get a relatively cheap macro lens that would allow me to shoot from a long distance. This was my choice and I can't regret it. The picture up to 200mm is very good, although from greater zoom you will require a tripod, which by the way you need for this of zoom lens.

The lens is a bit heavy and probably will not be your default lens, but is a great 2nd lens to take into the country.
I have used this lens on both my Pentax km and K5.

Also it is a great lens to focus on the object that you want and blur all the background. The lens also comes with a hood, handy when you do not have polarizing filters.

By the way, if you use filters you will need 58mm filters for this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax lens, 18 April 2011
I would recommend this lens to anybody,i have used it this weekend and have had great results even without a tripod,good clear images and quick focus,Great macro setting too,really pleased with the lens and good fast delivery.A1

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 70-300 lens for Pentax K, 24 Mar 2013
This is a nice compact lens which fits well in the side pocket of my camera bag. The lens hood that comes with it is rather bulky and only just squeezes into the bag. The lens works well and picture quality is fine for my purposes. I particularly like the macro function which saves me changing lenses out in the field

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round lens., 25 Jan 2014
This lens gave me great shots at both ends of the range. Used it for a holiday and was very pleased with it. It's a little heavier than a kit lens, but far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG Lens for Pentax, 16 Aug 2012
I have only recently moved up to SLR photography and so please bear in mind that the following comments are not intended to provide a technical review of this product but, hopefully, they will be of assistance to others like myself taking this first step.

Earlier this year I purchased a Pentax K-R DSLR camera with the boxed 18-55mm lens having been impressed by the 6 fps which I felt was just right for my foray into sports photography. I have not been disappointed !

Having got to grips with the basics I turned my attention to a decent telephoto lens for those other-end-of-the-pitch rugby shots. Not wanting to spend a small fortune at this stage, I trawled the Amazon site and came across the

Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Macro DG Lens For Pentax Digital & Film SLR Cameras which came with excellent reviews.

Although I have only had the lens for a short while and have not yet been able to use it for its primary purpose, the results so far have been excellent with quick auto-focusing and lovely sharp images - just as others have commented before me.

Needless to say, I am delighted with the product and would highly recommend it to anyone - like myself - starting out on the DSLR path.