5.0 out of 5 stars Fire
Published on 3 May 2009 by Atli Hafsteinsson

3.0 out of 5 stars Jury still out
I got this album on it's release last year and was not impressed. Like all Madonna fans I had been looking forward to hearing Madonna going back to her dance floor roots and was still waiting once I'd listened to this album all the way through. This was Stuart Price with a dash of Madonna or so it seemed.

6 months later and I still haven't got into this album...
Published on 15 Nov 2005 by Neil Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire, 3 May 2009
Atli Hafsteinsson (Reykjavík, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
...that's the best word I can find to describe Madonna's futuristic techno-dance effort. It's one of those albums that I live for discovering. Confessions on a Dance Floor is its own little musical universe, where the music flows through you like fire and each song connects so seamlessly to the other that I forget that I'm listening to songs at all. With tempestuous melodies, sounds and beats, this high-charged, all-enveloping musical experience is in my opinion one of Madonna's most recognisable and breathtaking works; an unforgettable sonic journey. Were fire made into music, it would sound something like this.

Madonna and Stuart Price made something truly magical come to life here. Listening to this album for the first time challenged my notion to what an album is supposed to be. Confessions on a Dance Floor is as close as I have dared hope for an album to become something truly spectacular as a whole. Just try to separate the song order, or to insert a silence - you can't do it. The whole album would fall apart. It's all produced as a whole, and this gives the album added character. The sleeve is the perfect hint at the beauty and passion of the music it adorns. The art direction was great.

The music is fantastic. It's electrical and riveting, full of energy and zest, and I don't just mean in the catchy department. This is thoughtful and moving music in its own right; it's music you actually would like to hear pop up on a dance playlist, something you look forward to hearing. The album's hits need no introduction. Check out Stuart Price's version of Cornershop's "Sleep on the Left Side" to see what he's capable of doing with already existing material. "Hung Up" will make even more sense then, and the extended version on the album is far better than the truncated radio edit. "Get Together" is the first real taste of the album's sound.

I wasn't even aware that "Sorry" was a Madonna track, just that I loved the song on the radio. I was intrigued, and lo, it led me to the album and a one-way ticket to Madonna fandom. "Sorry" is dynamite (I just wish the video hadn't been so corny - generally, great as this album is, it was cursed with bad videos). "Future Lovers" is, wow, fabulous; co-produced by Madonna's trusty associate Mirwais Ahmadzai, the stark and overpowering sound draw out the meat of this goosebump-inducing track.

This album actually is nothing but winners. There is not a dud track on the entire list. The exquisite "Forbidden Love" strolls so effortlessly into "Jump" that you'll be surprised to find that a new track has started, without you even realising it. "Isaac" is another sensual number, beautiful music.

Need I go on? Confessions on a Dance Floor is an extraordinary piece of music. While I love many works by many artists, I can still say that this is one of my favourite albums of all time. The reason? This album works so strongly, it sounds like perfection and reminds you that dance music can be fabulous and engaging. Confessions has my utmost recommendations. I confess that I think it's stupendous.

Now you know why I think "Fire" is the perfect description?

5.0 out of 5 stars Blimey!, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
I have never been a huge fan of Madonna, take her or leave her to be honest. OK so Vogue & Like a prayer re-kindle fond memories from my childhood but that is about it. As for her recent albums, Ray of Light and American Life almost missed my radar completely!
But Confessions on a Dancefloor has left me a little gobsmacked. Madonna has returned to what she always did best (even if I hadn't noticed until now!), disco. And not just your bog standard "down the local club on a friday night" kinda stuff, but original & catchy songs that keep on coming. Forbidden Love is not to dissimilar to some of Air's songs, hints of the Petshop Boys can be heard in "Jump", and is that a Donna Summer sample in "Future Lovers"?
Highly Reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics!!, 30 Nov 2005
I. Kelly "Ian" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
Most people here have been slagging this album - why? This is what she does best. A solid slab of 80's disco, beautifully produced, infinately listenable.
She's revisted her roots and sliced some Kabala in here too. Great album, deserves to number one for at least 3 months, or until everyone has bought it.
BTW, I am not a hardcore Madonna fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars I confess - it's fabulous!, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
Madonna's latest LP once again proves her critics wrong; yes it's lyrically shallow, yes it's never going to be called a classic by the music press, but this collection of hi-energy dance tunes is a salutary lesson to those young pretenders out to steal Madge's crown as Queen of pop - there's life in the controversial old dog yet (no offence Guy). Ray of Light was a thoughtful move into a more contemporary sound, and to my mind remains Madonna's best album to date, however 'Confessions...' runs it a close second, with the ABBA sampling belter 'Hung Up' and the Pet Shop Boys produced 'Sorry' arguably its highlights. The whole CD though is top-notch, and although she may be nearing fifty, Madonna remains the only artist who can reach middle-age and still pull off THAT leotard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally Addictive, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
Beware you might not get this album off your cd player for a few weeks and will find yourself dancing when you really should be doing other stuff. Absolutely loving this album, every single track, gets better and better with each listen, great dance/trance beats and its only lost a star because there are a few dodgy lyrics which make me cringe but that doesn't stop it being brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dance album this year?, 11 Nov 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
When i first heard the radio edit of hung up i thought 'yeah its a catchy tune' but there didnt seem to be a great dance rythm to it.... that was until i heard the video edit which is also the same on the album!I love the part where it grinds down right to the bass then builds itself back up again!Oh i could listen to it for years now! While hearing the whole album stream on Mtv's 'the leak' ive just been blown away to how fine this album sounds.
It plays just like a cream or clubland album which certainly gives this album in my opinion 'BEST DANCE ALBUM OF 2005'
If you are a club fanatic buy this album you wont regret it. Its high energy and dancetastic tracks really are cutting edge.
No offence to Madonna but if there was a remix of this album with only instrumentals it would be legend!
Favourite Tracks include
Hung Up - a fantastic track (just like video version)
Sorry - 'Talk is cheap' great lyrics my favourite track
Future Lovers - Great dance track
How High - great lyrics

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be called Queen of the Dancefloor!, 23 Jan 2008
Mr. D. A. Bradshaw "!" (Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
I write this review, just after a year after it's release, and why you might ask? Well the answer is simply that this is an album you will never get bored with and will remain a Madonna classic in many years to come.
One thing people should reaLise about Madonna is that she is not one of those artists who makes an album where you'd only choose the best few to put on your ipod, the album tracks are equally as good as the singles, particularly 'Isaac' and 'Let It Will Be' which was wasted as a B-side to 'Sorry'

A MUST HAVE IN YOUR COLLECTION.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna goes elektro pop, 31 Dec 2005
G Salmons (Woking, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
Madonna. I mean she's not very de riguer is she? It's not cool to listen to Madonna is it? I mean it's all that Pappa don't preach kinda stuff isn't it?
Wrong.
Don't let your expectations of this artist colour your expectations of this disc.
From the first track to the last Madonna demonstrates her maturity, growth and connection to mainstream demand for music. This album is beautifully crafted, and will have you nodding your head, tapping your feet or just dancin for no reason from the moment you start to play it. There are no ballads, there are just strong melodies, stonking base lines and a superb elektro funk production that leaves you wanting for nothing.
Madonna's life is also crafted in to the album; as well the lyrical content to "How High" and "Like it or not", listen out for semitic melodies that creep into 'Sorry' and form 'Isaac' echoing her Kaballah interest.
Simply a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have CD in your collection, 15 Nov 2005
I was a bit wary of buying this CD. I love 'hung up' and felt that the rest of the CD couldn't match that track. How wrong I was. From the first time I played it to the nth time of listening to it I fall more in love with it.
Buy this CD and Praise all that is holy for Madonna.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another masterpiece to add to Madonna's legacy, 20 Nov 2005
This review is from: Confessions on a Dance Floor (Audio CD)
Okay, so theres been so much hype about this record, and usually when there is a lot of hype i am normally disappointed by the finished product, but with COADF i was utterly blown away.
Hung Up
You know that you're in for a treat when the tick-tock noise starts playing, the repition of 'time goes by so slowly' is interrupted by a the sample of Gimme Gimme Gimme as it slowly gets louder and louder until the addictive chorus 'every little thing that you say or do, i'm hung up'. Brilliant ultra gay dance record, this will get any club going for sure.
Get Together
'Its all an illusion, theres too much confusion', i love the sultry tones that Madonna uses on the opening of this song. Then the electronica sound effects take over and your thrust into one of the best songs of the album. It takes a few listens to fully appreciate how great this song is. Great dance record (starting to see a trend), reminds me of Ray Of Light. Brilliant
Sorry
This has been confirmed as the 2nd single from COADF. Madge repeats 'Sorry' in many languages (of which i know about 2 :P). This is followed by the most addictive chorus of the album. Good choice for second single, it uses a sample from the Jacksons 'Can You Feel It', but in all honesty, you hardly notice it.
Future Lovers
This is one of my least favorites from the album. Seems like it belongs in Madges Bedtime Stories album. The speaking at the start gets a bit annoying, its like your listening to a hypnotherapy CD. Good dance record, but not a standout track.
6/10
I Love New York
Okay, now this is the track that got every one talking. The lyrics are just dire, but when you get into the track and start to put aside the abominable lyrics, this record is really great. The beats in this song are amazing, and Madges performance at KoKo made me love it even more. Good track (aside from the lyrics :P)
Let It Will Be
One of my favorite tracks from the album, i heard the remix of this record at KoKo and i wish they had put the Stuart Price remix on instead of this! But i still love it.
Forbidden Love
Along with Future Lovers, this is my least favorite track on the album. Its okay when you get into it, but i normally skip it.
6/10
Jump
Great dance record, it is rumored to be a single. Not sure if it is necessarily a good choice for a single, but I’m sure it would do good if it was released. Yet again Madge is back speaking at the start of the record, a tad annoying but I’ll get over it. The chorus is very addictive, the lyrics aren't the most imaginative in the world.
8/10
How High
One of the most synthesized songs on COADF, very Goldfrapp like, reminds me of 'Train'. The beats are cool, the verses are melodic. The lyrics describe the pit falls of being famous, yet again. The chorus is good, nothing too special though.
7/10
Isaac
Best track on the album without a doubt. F**king amazing song. When i read that Jewish chanting was to be included on this song i was a bit skeptical, but it fits in very well. Madonnas back with her 'Hmmmmm' that she uses so often. This song reminds me of 'Frozen' with beats. This song is a masterpiece and will be in my top 3 favorite Madonna songs. I'd buy the album just for this one song, AMAZING.
11/10
Push
The beats on this track are fantastic! Especially when you play them on bass heavy speakers, this song blew me away the first time i heard it. The chorus can become a bit annoying but overall a brilliant song.
Like It Or Not
Acoustic guitar in a dance song? Yup, and i must say that i love it, one of my favorites on the album. Synthesizers are well at use in this song, it all transcends into a blooming good dance song. Couldn't imagine this in a club, its probably the slowest paced song on the album.
10/10
Overall: 9/10
Yes, Madonnas bounced back after American Life, and aren't we just so glad that shes back on top form! This is a must have album in your music collection and yet another masterpiece to add to Madonna's legacy. ALL HAIL THE UNDISPUTED QUEEN OF POP!

Confessions on a Dance Floor
Confessions on a Dance Floor by Madonna (Audio CD - 2005)