4.0 out of 5 stars surprising third record from the forgotten band

Published on 18 Oct 2005 by M. Robshaw-Bryan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars surprising third record from the forgotten band, 7 Jun 2006
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
Starsailor shot to prominance on the indie music scene with their debut Love Is Here in 2001, along with Coldplay and the like they were hailed as the next big thing. I loved their debut record but the singles released from their second offering, Silence Is Easy, failed to convince me that it was worth buying. Since then Starsailor fell off the radar altogther and I for one had forgotten they existed, save for the occasions when I wanted to listen to some of the sweet melodies and heartwarming lyrics from Love Is Here. Out of the blue in autumn last year Starsailor came back with single In The Crossfire and I was amazed at what I heard - surely this wasn't the piano tinkering harmless indie band of yesteryear?

Whether it was the criticism they recieved after Silence Is Easy that motivated them to write this record or not I don't know but it really is quite remarkable. Evident here is the kind of angst and anger usually associated with Nirvana. Ok this no Nevermind but it sure is grungy at times and the lyrics have taken on a personal sadness and even a political edge. Starsailor have really moved on admirably from their last album, emphasizing their songs with guitar riffs now in a way I would never have expected from them. It's a real progression and one that could have backfired, but then they didn't have much to left to lose.

The album is by no means flawless, and it losses momentum somewhat towards the end which is why I could only award four stars. But it finishes with the superb acoustic, thought provoking, Jeremiah. Starsailor have certainly come back in a big way - surprising indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meat on those bones please!, 12 Sep 2006
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
I've said it before and I'll say it again - you either like Starsailor or you hate them. The vocal is distinctive, the subject matter quite bleak, but the tunes are always good. This is the third album, and the first thing you note is that they've bought a few more amplifiers. Place this album in a shuffle playlist with anything else and you have to turn it waaay down to avoid being deafened.

The tunes are all still there. In The Crossfire sets the tone for a more rock-charged album, and Jeremiah is a mournful epilogue, based on a true story.

But, as with both the previous albums, it's just too short!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it while you can, 2 Nov 2005
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
This is, in my mind, their best album to date. It retains the soul and passion of the band while at the same time moving away from the more despondant tones of previous outings. It's hard for me to pick out tracks from the album because they're all so good, though Faith Hope Love is fast becoming a favourite of mine. For those disappointed with the last album for having such short tracks (Shark Food and Fideltity being ones I'd pick out as being half as long as they should be), do not fear! While the album is still shorter than 40 mins, all the songs are long enough to make sure the fun isnt over too soon. If you want to hear some teasers of the songs and look up tour dates (and you really should) head over to [...]
PS buy this album and money will rain down from the sky and all your days will be filled with joy (note this is not actually true, but buy it anyway)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prefer it to the first two, 4 July 2006
Thomas Weaver (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
I came to Starsailor after hearing of their Jeff Buckley influences (and, of course, the Tim Buckley album reference in their name). However, I always found them a little... well, dull. I liked the music, but never quite got around to properly listening to it.

This changed after seeing them at Hyde Park Calling 2006, where I was particularly impressed with some tracks from the new album. Moreover, they showed a heavier, rockier side to them live which I sense in the new album, too. It's more lively, more listenable and more interesting.

I suppose old fans may therefore miss their old band, but for me this is a very positive evolution that reminds me a little of how Stereophonics have changed in the last years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Third time lucky, 6 Dec 2005
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
For me, not many albums could top Starsailor's Love Is Here. From the awesome opener Tie Up My Hands to the fantastic closing piece, Coming Down, the album was a thing of true musical beauty.
Two years on, out came Silence Is Easy. Whilst good, it was incredibly short and not a patch on Love Is Here. Poor sales of Silence meant that Starsailor were facing an uphill battle to burst back onto the music scene.
October 2005 is hardly the easiest time to launch your comeback album, with the likes of Coldplay, The Killers and Kaiser Chiefs dominating the charts, but this effort is superb and really hasn't got the credit it deserves yet.
It's got to be a good start when the opening track can easily be considered one of the artist's finest efforts to date, and that's the case with In The Crossfire, brilliantly showcasing the band's new, more mature sound. From the moment James Walsh spits out the opening lyric 'I don't see myself when I look in the mirror' to the close three and a half minutes later, it's easily the best track on the album.
The next song, Counterfeit Life, is similar, loud, rocky and, some might say, borderline Muse. In My Blood, following on, is much more sedate, with a sound similar to Silence Is Easy's Four To The Floor - a cross between the soft sounds of, say, Tie Up My Hands and the brash Counterfeit Life.
Faith Hope Love and I Don't Know are good but relatively plain songs, but the record picks up again with Way Back Home, another Muse-style track with a great guitar riff. Keep Us Together, too, is excellent, another product of the group's developed sound.
The quiet but infectious Get Out While You Can follows before the ridiculously catchy This Time, the much rockier White Light and the hugely poignant closer, the beautifully melancholy Jeremiah.
Starsailor have really risen to the challenge here. Whilst not quite up there with Love Is Here, this is definitely superior to Silence Is Easy. Come to think of it, it's far superior than most of the music out there today. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more upbeat!, 30 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
I'm not an overly analytical music lover and I listen for pleasure. But my partner groaned when i said I'd ordered this album as he was used to the depressing sounds of their first album. But wow - this is so much better. This Time has me hooked as does Keep us together - goose pimples all round. They do veer a little towards the Stereophonics from time to time but i love the rockier more upbeat approach and the vocals are nicely varied from a singer who could have got stuck in one style. Haven't seen them since Glastonbury but will be on the look out for a gig near me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not A Bad Track On This One!, 23 Jun 2006
Jonathan (Leigh-on-Sea) - See all my reviews
I'm not a Starsailor fan but perhaps I should be as I've really liked everything I've heard of theirs. I'd never heard of this album before and only came across it whilst browsing the sale items. Based on previous experience of them and the other review here I decided to get it. I must say that it's a cracker and unlike the other review I really like the last 2 tracks in addition to the first 9. I only got it this morning but it's been on the cd player repeat all day and at three quid for the "bonus" edition with the extra dvd this has really got to be a steal, quite possibly "bargain of the year".

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Comeback!, 1 Jan 2009
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
I understand why some people don't like this band- the vocals are fairly shrieky, but to me it proves that he can sing. Too many bands say the words, Kaiser Chiefs among them, but i think his voice is very good.

To start off is In The Crossfire. Like most of the songs on this album it leads to a rocking chorus, a wall of barelling sound. I would give this song 10/10.
Counterfeit Life again has a brilliant chorus- 9/10
In My Blood is more cheery than the previous two songs and is more "bubbly". Still a fairly good attempt though, would give it 8/10
Faith Hope Love is amazing from the start beat from the guitar, then mellows with the first verse, and then stomps back again with the chorus, which is amazing. Gets really good at around 1:50. Possibly too short though, however would give it 10/10.
I Don't Know starts off quiet and relaxed, then smashes into a great chorus with a chorus of backing "oooh"s. Brilliant. 9.5/10
Way Back Home starts off with a great beat, then loses momentum slightly as it leads into the verse, then regains its splendour in the chorus with a very cool sounding clashing guitar. 10/10
Keep Us Together doesn't start off too well and seems to race through the first verse as though it wants it to be over quickly. Having saying that, there is yet another spectacular chorus (This album is full of them). 9/10
Get Out While You Can is not as good as the other songs and plods along a bit, even in the chorus. However there will be those who see this song as a welcoming break from the baraages of sound before it. I would give it 7/10.
This Time starts off very promising, then fades slightly. But all is not lost! the chorus kickstarts after about a minute and reveals itself as yet another fantastic explosion of guitar and backing vocals,and really explodes at around 2:30 with a string of "when the beats run dry there's gonna be some blood", opening up a chorus of "ooooh"s again. 10/10.
White Light is calm and gives you the false impression it's going to stay like that for the entire song. However, the chorus is once again spectacular, as is the ending minute of the song. Yet another 10/10.
Jeremiah is the only song on this album that I hate, unlike the other songs it never seems to actually go anywhere. 5/10.

In conclusion many people will hate this album when they liked the previous two, but i like the previous two and find this one to be their best. Almost every song is like a rocket, the verses are the rocket streaming into the sky, gaining momentum, the explosion of sound that is the chorus is the explosion of the rocket, and the spectaclar endings and final choruses are the brilliant lights that expand from the explosion.
I love this album and it's rocking choruses, and I hope you do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starsailor are back and just as great as before!, 14 Nov 2005
Kathryn Reynolds (Charlotte, North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
I got this album without ever hearing a song off it. I just trusted that it wouldn't disappoint, as I have both of Starsailor's previous albums, and have loved them both.
This album was no exception. Standout tracks for me are: In the Crossfire, Counterfeit Life, In My Blood, Faith Hope Love, I Don't Know, Get Out While You Can.
I feel that Starsailor are growing, and this album shows a more refined, mature, and expansive collection of songs from Starsailor. I can only look forward to seeing what the boys are capable of next!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with a few moments of brilliance, 18 Oct 2005
M. Robshaw-Bryan "wellybooty" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
In the crossfire is the big anthemic opening track, typical Starsailor. Counterfeit Life has a very mid-career Steriophonics sound to it spiked as it is with heavier guitars than is their usual trade-mark. In my blood has a nice rolling drum loop and not much more making it an essentially forgettable album track. Faith Hope Love is trying for a harder, rockier sound that doesn't quite hit the mark. Don't Know is a bit of a non-entity of a track, in my opinion the 2nd forgettable album track. Way back home Instantly sounds interesting and makes you want to listen with a Muse type moment halfway in, which actually works quite well. This is a big and noisy track, something that Starsailor seem to be pulling off increasingly well. Keep us Together is a song I first heard at V festival 2004 and it's a truly great live track. The bass line does sound uncannily similar to The Stereophonic's - Roll Up and Shine, albeit a slightly softer version. I'm starting to see a bit of a pattern here - are Starsailor morphing into a pre-2000 Steriophonics? Get out while you can - is their 3rd dull and forgettable track. This Time Is an up tempo track but disappointingly, the verses sound better than the chorus which is a little weak and needs something stronger. White Light is an alright track, but nothing special. Jerimiah is the slow and melancholic acoustic closing track.
Taken as a whole, On The Outside, their third album sounds much more confident and James Walsh's vocals are strong and varied. Are Starsailor finally developing a rock n' roll attitude? Their overall sound remains essentially unchanged but there are small glimpses of a slightly bigger, rockier future sound to come.
The album in general has a few shining stars, but on the whole there is not much there to make you want to listen unless you are an established fan. Nothing is really that engaging, nothing sounds that different. The good tracks on the album really are very good (Way back home, Counterfeit Life, in the Crossfire) but I can't say more than that. The albums just not that brilliant, not outstanding in any way.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

On The Outside
On The Outside by Starsailor (Audio CD - 2005)