5.0 out of 5 stars Lansky deluxe sharpening system
Published on 24 May 2011 by Philip S

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't get on with it
Reason I bought one of these is that I'm rubbish at using a steel on my chefs knives. My ex bf used to sharpen them for me, but he's no longer around so I'm left to my own devices. I love beautiful quality knives and I'm upset that I can't look after them in the manner they deserve.
Published on 22 Oct 2012 by Ms. C. N. Humphrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Lansky deluxe sharpening system, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
I bought this system as I felt I had gone as far as I could with the Spyderco one. If used intelligently, this system produces a first class edge. However, don't think that using the system as suggested in the leaflet and online will produce consistently good results. You would do well to look at the article by John Juranitch which you can find by searching for his name or 'rasoredge'; this shows the importance of establishing a secondary bevel first of all, and for this you will need the extra coarse hone. Also, it pays dividends - and yes, I am rather obsessive - to use a jeweller's loupe (get one from an optician for a few pounds) to check when you have got a good secondary bevel. Once this is established, it shouldn't take more than two minutes at most to resharpen the blade.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect edge, 10 Jan 2011
Mark T (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
I first came across the Lansky Knife Sharpening system in the mid 60's when preparing for a mid-term school camping trip. In those days you could carry and wear a sheath knife. A fellow pupil produced this blue box and began assembling all these weird looking carbon stones held in holders, connecting them to pieces of wire. One by one, he took our knives and worked his magic, giving them each an edge none could remember ever having. We held paper between thumb and forefinger, slowly sliced though it to a chorus of "oooh's" and "wow's" for the rest of the afternoon.

I never forgot that kit but could neither remember who made it or where to find someone who sold anything like it - until I took a trip to the States in the early 90's and saw it advertised. I sent off my money and a few days later received the exact same blue box. My hands were shaking with enthusiastic anticipation of bringing back that edge to all sorts of knives.

I still have that blue box kit and it comes out every month to keep my chef's knives in perfect condition and I certain would recommend it to anyone who realises the value (and safety) of having a set of razor sharp knives.

Don't attempt to sharpen a Japanese Katana sword or any other long or tempered steel blade. These require a highly specialised technique. This knife sharpening system is for the shorter bladed knife (up to about 8 inches). For longer ones you will have to perform the sharpening process in two parts: one section, and then move the blade up in the Multi-Angle clamp to perform the second section. Keep a log: a note of the stone colours and slot used for each knife so that when you come to re-sharpen them, you will know the angle of the hone for that particular knife. The green and blue stones at 25 degree is all I use on my kitchen knives now to maintain their durable edges.

As someone else has said, it is strongly recommended to have the Super C-Clamp which doesn't seem to be available here but it is still sold in the States by Lanskys as the "Convertible Super "C" Clamp". This clamp allows you to secure the whole assembly to a tabletop and makes it feel a great deal safer to use. Consider it a must. It's not worth winging it and thinking you could make something or use a vice to hold the Multi-Angle knife Clamp (that comes in the main System box). Personally I believe Lansky should include this in the main kit. The box that my Super C-Clamp came in had a flimsy plastic formed tray type insert. That tray is still intact but with cracks and very fragile. I would have preferred something a bit more substantial to keep all the bits together; something like the main system blue box. Ah well...

To conclude - A brilliant concept! You'll end up treasuring this bit of kit and it'll probably get handed on down through your family for generations to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply sharp knives, 20 Dec 2011
LMD (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
On opening the box you could be forgiven for wondering what fiendishly complex sharpening kit you've just bought for yourself. Don't worry - the Lansky kit is actually extremely simple to use.

With a tradntional whetstone, the stone remains stationary while you move the knife (usually freehand) across the stone's surface to achieve an edge. The quality of the edge depends very much on the angle you sharpen the blade at, the amount of pressure applied and the coarseness of the stone. With all these variables it takes a LOT of practice to do a "proper job".

The Lansky kit makes it simple to achieve wonderfully sharp, consistent edges by turning the principle on it's head. Rather than keep the whetstone still, you clamp the knife in place and, using a guide rod and a series of spaced holes in the clamp move the whetstone along the blade. By placing the guide holes in the clamp and fixing the blade, you are ensured of getting a near perfectly consistent sharpening angle across the length of the blade. The Deluxe kit comes with 5 whetstones of varying coarseness, ranging from 70 to 1000. The grade 70 stone should be used sparingly to take out any major nicks in a blade while the 1000 grade stone will hone the finest of edges. Complete with a 30ml bottle of "Nathan's Natural Honing Oil" to lubricate the stones, this kit should last a good while. I've found that one drop of oil is plenty for the fine stone, while a couple of drops works better for the coarse stone.

In use, the clamp itself can be a bit fiddly to hold, so I'd recommend purchasing it with the "Super C" clamp which will allow you to mount the whole setup firmly to a table and leave both hands free for sharpening duties. It also means that you can keep your fingers out of the way which is a good thing as a freshly Lansky sharpened knife has an amazingly sharp edge on it. I've foud that sharpening a knife will range from between 2 and 5 minutes depending on how dull/damaged the blade is to start with - if you keep maintaining the edge with your lansky kit then I expect the time will lessen as maintenance is easier than repair.

Sharp knives are always safer than dull ones and this has to be the best knife sharpening system that I've ever used. Kinder to the knives than your typical "supermarket gadget" sharpener; achieves a finer edge than a sharpening steel; easier and more consistent than a regular whetstone. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars I can't get on with it, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
I still don't seem to be able to get the edge sharp, despite following the youtube video. I don't seem to be able to get the thumb screws to tighten enough, and there's so many parts to the system you tend to sigh if you need to do the job. It might be great if you actually enjoy fiddling with this type of thing.
Decent knives deserve a decent system. I have a feeling that it's me rather than the system that's not working right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr, 12 Sep 2010
Anne Louise Duffy (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
Great system for sharpening knives. The clamp needs major screw tightening however to keep the knives fixed steadily and also the clamp is a bit high as it interferes with the honing stones if placed too near the blade edge. I'd still give it 5 stars as it is the best model I've used to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to your sharpening workshop, 5 Sep 2010
Mr. Jevgenijs Cernihovics "J.C." (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
Very good set for sharpening middle-sized knives. I have not yet given it a try on sabers, but what it does on knives is really good. Fast, elegant and quality solution.
You may consider to buy a dedicated support stand, if your hands are not firm enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system - additional purchases required if new to system, 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
So I have only had this item for a day as I have a kitchen knife that was completely ruined by someone who "attempted" to sharpen it. Watching a few youtube videos, I begun to understand how the system works, and what you should be doing to get that perfect edge. Key points to note. The rods go into the underside of the sharpening stone, and not on top (like I initially did). This caused about half an hour of delay and realising I wasn't actually going very far as the angle was too acute. Swapped it around to the correct way, and levelled the bar with the flat edge of the sharpening stone (put the bar in the stone slot, and place the stone face down on a flat surface. Then tighten the thumbscrew and check alignment. Depending on the quality of the blade, choose your grit. The lower the number, the more coarse the stone is (you can feel the difference by rubbing your finger over each stone). Kitchen knives will generally want to be sharpened to 20 degrees, however check with the knife manufacturer on what degree your knife was initially made to.

Work the blade until you can feel a bur on the underside of the entirety blade. Flip it over, and do the same again. Once the bur is on the underside of the blade, go down coarseness. I personally used black for about half an hour (trust me, my knife was completely and utterly ruined), then move on to red / grey / blue / and finally finish off with yellow. Between each stone, make sure you get a bur on the underside of the knife, flip it, bur the opposite side, swap out for finer stone.

It's a pretty simple process, and once you are done, you'll have a perfectly sharp blade once again.

Pros: Packaging is nice, and should last for years. Does what it's meant to, and sharpen your blades to a nice finish.

Cons: Ok, so I'm being slightly over-critical here. This set isn't complete. You pretty much HAVE to have a Lansky pedestal to go along with this. I tried to sharpen without the pedestal just to see the difference and it was extremely difficult to say the least. Nevermind the increased risk of cutting yourself. Also, for a perfect finish, you need the leather stropping hone (also an additional purchase). Lack of instructions included with the system was a bit of a downer. EDIT: Also, the rubber pads that come on the clamp have slightly dislodged with only about 1 hour of use. I'm pretty gutted about this, but I will buy some epoxy and stick those suckers back in place once they no longer hold their place. I would have expected a very high grade glue used, but alas it wasn't that great. I managed to realign them just by pushing on the side and they moved back in place. Hey Lansky, if you're listening, improve the glue on the rubber grips!

Conclusion: Works really well, and brought my notched blunt kitchen knife back into working service. I still have quite a bit of work left to work out my notches, but eventually it'll be brilliant. I rated this 4/5 because the leather strop was an additional purchase. In my opinion, and feel free to disagree with me here, is that a "Deluxe" sharpening system should have a leather strop included to do a professional finish. But that's just my 2c! If you're new to this system, buy this kit with a pedestal, and if you really want to do a great finish, get the leather strop too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
This kit is like nothing iv seen, came across this when a work mate brought it in to sharpen a knife, the way it works is amazing, you can put a perfect edge on your blade leaving it razor sharp, very easy to use, if you have good quality knifes this kit is a must you will be amazed how sharp you can get a knife that's as blunt as blunt gets.

4.0 out of 5 stars not too bad, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
pleased overall but think the support rods could be made better as they are quite awkward to get right. quite expensive for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 July 2011
This review is from: Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System (Sports)
If you search on the interweb you will find many good guides on how to sharpen almost anything of any size with this... all i can say is my knives have NEVER ever been this sharp and they hold a good edge too! - this is the only way to sharpen properly as it creates an easy to maintain edge through precise angles. Absolutely love it, wife can't believe how sharp the kitchen knives are now!

Lansky Deluxe Knife Sharpening System