5.0 out of 5 stars In the Court of the Crimson Jazzmen!, 24 Dec 2005
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: King Crimson Songbook Vol.1 (Audio CD)
Wow!!!!! I bought this for my wife for Christmas (really a "Pooh" present - because she LOVES "Red", and I love all Crimson - even the 21st Century Schizoid Band).
This is brilliant - echoes of the Crimson masterpieces wrapped in a piano-bass-drums jazz trio. Like Esbjorn Svensson in their rockier moments.
Don't expect faithful renditions of old favourites - do expect a tight jazz trio improvising around the Crimson tracks.
Highlights include a storming piano-led "Catfood" (which sounds as if it was always a Jazz track - but had never dared mention it!), a glorious bass line in "Starless", and "Red". Well, Mrs. Shackelford loved it - so that's good enough for me.
As Mr. Fripp says in the sleeve notes - can't wait for Volume 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 12 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: King Crimson Songbook Vol.1 (Audio CD)
I bought this through intrigue rather than expectation and was delighted that one of those chances I sometimes take with a CD, came off. Fantastic musicianship and strongly linked to the originals - it kept me playing it for weeks and my father - in his 70's- and a modern jazz expert very impressed
Like King Crimson or not - if you enjoy modern jazz, buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars long live the king, 28 Dec 2009
P. Cottom "petercottom" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King Crimson Songbook Vol.1 (Audio CD)
I stumbled across this album whilst searfing around and, totally mystified as to what a jazz trio could do with KC material, decided to take a risk and get it. I first became a KC-aholic after hearing In the Court of the Crimson King, and my second album purchase as a 15 year old was In the Wake of Poseidon. There follows a life long relationship and total inspiration by most things Frippery, and particularly Bill Bruford who remains, despite his retirement, my all time favourite man behind a kit.

I've had a little experience of bands being given the "jazz" going over - notably Steely Dan and Pat Metheny Group both with big band takes, and both attempts coming out with some respectability.

I've got to say this came as a total slap about the face. Firstly, don't expect to hear a trio attempt to play these pieces like the originals (now that would be crap). This is not an attempt to do cover versions - more a "traditional" jazz way of taking a song as a starting point and then going wherever the muse takes you. KC pieces are ripped up, shaken and stirred, with an occasional motif or theme coming through.

Think EST with a shot of absinthe, Tord Gustavsen with a Whisky chaser, Lyle Mays piano led passages of mid era Pat Metheny Group. And then some.

It's all so wonderful, engrossing, and you get the occasional nod to the original which satisfies the familiarity aspect. Matte Kudasai has been on perma-play since I got this, and easily raced to be in the top 5 new toons I've heard this year. Great ensemble playing, Tim Landers' wonderful bass playing, particularly his Jaco-esque stylings, and ex Crimson drummer Ian Wallace, who sadly died in 2007. There is a volume 2, which sadly is also not easily available - as great music generally isn't these days - and I'll get that asap. Somehow that makes finding music like this that much more rewarding and enjoyable.

If you love music, know King Crimson material, or even if you don't, you should get this - you shouldn't be disappointed.

What next for the CJT? Hey Mr Bruford, don't suppose you'd care to take to the throne? Now that would be something to behold...........

5.0 out of 5 stars Crimson Jazz Trio Volume One, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: King Crimson Songbook Vol.1 (Audio CD)
What a great album, this will appeal to King Crimson diehards and also people who like smooth jazz.

Being a big King Crimson fan and knowing all their songs almost note for note its a great experience listening to this CD.
From the semi-laid back vesion of Schizoid Man to a very upbeat Ladies For The Road.
I don't want to harp on too much or give more details - part of the fun with this album is the 'discovery phase' listening to the versions and intrepretations for the first time,

I have noticed that the 2nd hand prices for this album are quite over the top. It seems to be out of print but while copies are hard to get there are new copies around. I ordered mine direct from the supplier (DGM) it took 2.5 months but they were able to sell it to me for the normal retail price of US14.99.

If you like this also get Volume 2 which is just as good

King Crimson Songbook Vol.1
King Crimson Songbook Vol.1 by The Crimson Jazz Trio (Audio CD - 2005)