4.0 out of 5 stars Jet Li takes on both Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman
Published on 13 Oct 2005 by Lawrance M. Bernabo

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special.
PQ is grainy. Too much I think.
AQ is average.
The movie has no soul. Bought it because of Morgan Freeman. Unfortunately, his character as a blind pianist (or rather a person who repair piano) is very ordinary i.e anybody can play that character, doesn't have to be a somebody as 'big' as Freeman.
Published 12 months ago by Mohd. Yusoff Hamid

4.0 out of 5 stars Jet Li takes on both Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman, 13 Oct 2005
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
I feel like I have been watching trailers for "Unleashed" for about a year before it finally came out on DVD this week. So if there was one thing I knew it about this movie it was that Bart (Bob Hoskins) has trained Danny (Jet Li) like he was a dog. While Danny is wearing his collar he is nice and calm, but when the collar comes off Danny is (altogether now) unleashed and becomes a fighting if not killing machine. Then Danny meets up with Victoria (Kerry Condon), who does not treat him like an animal, which suggests that he does not have to behave like one the next time the collar comes off.
You know what sort of action sequences to expect in a Jet Li movie, and on that score "Unleashed" does not disappoint. But in coming up with this story writer Luc Besson ("La Femme Nikita") and first time director Louis Leterrier (who went on to do Besson's script for "Transporter 2") are trying to provide Li with some depth, or at least a role out of the ordinary. However, the most important things they did in putting this movie together was to get Hoskins, who does one of his patented mad dog routines, as the villain, and to get Morgan Freeman to sign up as Sam, the blind piano tuner who is the first to treat Danny the Dog like a human being. There are not many sins in a movie script or plot line that cannot be forgiven if Morgan Freeman is there to keep things together.
If you are expecting wall-to-wall action from "Unleashed," that is not the case. There is also as much piano playing as there is martial arts. But the fighting actually represents an escalation for Danny. The basic gig was that Bart loans people money and if they make the mistake of not paying him back he turns Danny loose. But now he has a found a new arena, literally, where guys fight to the death for the betting enjoyment of high rollers. Here we go from the extreme of Danny being too good in the sense that he is too skilled as a fighter and the fights should last longer than a second, to being too good because he does not want to hurt people any more so that he is given the incentive of more opponents (just to make things fair).
The results are engaging enough and I know that some of my disappointment in "Unleashed" is simply because I it had such a big buildup in mind after watching the trailer a couple of times each month (I have no idea when it went from "In Theaters Soon" to "Coming on DVD Soon" so it really does seem like it has been all year). But I have not seen that many Jet Li movies ("Ying xiong" is the only one that comes to mind and "Unleashed" is not in that league) so I am not jaded on all the punching and kicking. Still, I enjoyed the scenes between Li and both Hoskins and Freeman more than the fighting, so Besson certainly succeeded in giving Li something different to do this time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the Jet li's best movie ever, 20 Mar 2006
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
Jet li is on top form, some the fight scenes are truly amazing, though jet plays the role of danny superbly as well. This is a must for any jet li / martial arts fan / action movie fan although the violence isnt mindless as there is a deep story behind this film "danny the dog".
A very good film with good morals.....please do watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smacked me straight between the eyes..., 3 Sep 2009
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
My description above is the best I can give on this film. Never before have I been as surprised as I was when I watched this film. The first thing that struck me as odd was the lead roles being played by Jet Li, Bob Hoskins and Morgan Freeman. I would never have put these in a line up to star in a film together. Surprisingly it worked. Incredibly well!

I was expecting a typical martial arts film (not my first love when it comes to films I must admit), however this film manages to create a very unusual storyline, and integrate both fight scenes as well as a love story (believe it or not).

Danny (Jet Li) has been brought up and trained to behave like an animal. He is kept on a leash until his master (Bob Hoskins) "unleashes" him and his command is to kill whoever and whatever is in his way. Danny has a chance meeting with a blind man (Morgan Freeman) and his stepdaughter and is shown an alternative way to life as he knows it.

This won't be everybody's cup of tea but I must say that I absolutely loved it. If you are looking for a straight up Jet Li Martial arts film this isn't it. What it is however, is a brilliant mix of actors and storyline with some fantastic fight scenes.

If you haven't seen it give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST JET LI EVER!!!, 12 July 2006
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
That's a very good movie indeed!

It's a martial art oriented movie but there are no pointless fighting scenes such as flying people or Steven Segal's style like 30 minutes fight and no scratch...

It's brilliantly directed and mixes perfectly the action and the characterization of the actors, which are delivering some great performances. There's a quite touching plot and story and I loved the way it melts in the surroundings..

The soundtrack is superb and enrichs the atmoshpere and the suspance. top marks on my board!!

5.0 out of 5 stars not for the mindless, 10 April 2006
T. J. Bacon "TJB" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
everyone told me to avoid this film like it was the plague - yet last night i sat down to watch something that i thought was going to be horrible and was pleasantly surprised. this is one of the best "acted" performances of jet li's career without a doubt. if you really want to see li finally used in a way that flexes both his power to impress his physical presence upon us combined with a tender, understaed ablity to actually act - the go no further than here. it really is worth it.
if all you want is non-stop action then don't bother ... simple as!
this is kung fu for an audience that can think!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 6 Sep 2006
Davron (Exeter, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
Easily Jet Li's finest acting even though he doesn't speak! As unlikely as the storyline is I was drawn in because the fight scenes were very good and the distinguished supporting cast added that extra dimension. Must see for all Li and Hoskins fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Luc Besson does it again, 6 Sep 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I had no idea what this film was about when I first saw it a few years ago. I thought I would give it 10 mins and if it hasn't grabbed my attention, then I can just switch off. After the first few minutes I knew I would be watching it to the end. If you are a fan of action films with well choreographed fight scenes, you are in for a treat.

Danny (Jet Li) is a meek and mild child-like possession of Bart (Bob Hoskins). He has been brought up by Bart and treated like a dog, kept in a cage, fed morsels and wearing a collar. The collar has a hold on Danny and seems to subdue him, but when Bart releases the collar and utters the magic words, Danny turns into a doberman on crack cocaine. Bart is a local thug and he uses Danny to strong-arm others into paying money owed and for his own personal protection and so he is feared in the London underworld.

After one hustle too many, Bart has his car rammed where Danny walks away from the accident fearing every one in the car dead. He is helped by Sam (Morgan Freeman) and his daughter Victoria (Kerry Condon). It is here that you start to see an intelligence in Danny and a much softer innocent side, a polar opposite to his killer alter-ego. Not-so-dead Bart finds Danny and he is brought back to the world of thuggery, but Danny learns a secret from his past and his encounter with Sam and Victoria have changed him into something that Bart does not like.

The acrobatic fight scenes are so well scripted and acted that it will have your muscles twitching with involuntary invisible punching. The idea of using what appears to be a vacant shell of a man suddenly turn into a lethal killing machine when the collar is popped off was quite new to me at the time and so it was refreshing to see a new theme on an old thug story. The rest of the acting is good. I thought Bob Hoskins was a good choice for a thug who needs protection himself as he is too unfit to stand up for himself. Morgan Freeman has the same relaxed unfazed air about him that he has become famous for and the right choice to calm a savage killer.

The blue-ray quality is what you would expect, crisp sharp images, vibrant colour, and foreground image details being drawn out. A definite improvement on the DVD. I can't say if the audio quality is better than the DVD as my sound comes out of the cheap TV speakers, but it seemed clear enough to me

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected... Surprise!!!, 30 Oct 2012
Stigson (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
After I ordered this, I realised I'd made a mistake. I hadn't realised that this was region 1, and as I live in the UK, we use Region 2. It was too late to cancel the order so I waited til it arrived from the US. To my surprise it played. My Blu-Ray player is multi-regional... Surprise!!! The disc was in excellent condition, the movie definitely improved in HD. And the bonus features were ok too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film - well worth seeing., 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
In this film, Bob Hoskins plays the iconic thuggish London gangster (shades of "The Long Good Friday") and Jet Li his very effective slave assassin who despite his deadliness has a vulnerable side to him. The fight scenes are particularly good and flow like a ballet. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars JET LI AT HIS BEST, 21 Sep 2005
This review is from: Unleashed [DVD] (DVD)
The best film / jet li film i have seen in a long time.
A must for any jet li / martial arts fan / action movie fan although the violence isnt mindless as there is a deep story behind this film "danny the dog".
Not often i go to the cinema twice to see one film but i had to for this.

Unleashed [DVD]
Unleashed [DVD] by Louis Leterrier (DVD - 2005)
2.50