5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Nostalgia and for new kids on the block
Published on 19 Jun 2008 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT Uncut...SAME AS REGION 1 DVD'S
Published on 11 Dec 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Nostalgia and for new kids on the block, 19 Jun 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Unlike other reviewers, who seem to be die hard fans and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of whether you will get the episodes in the right order etc, which is all good stuff to know if you want that kind of thing, all I remember is that when I was a child I used to sit in front of the television on a Sunday night desperate for the muppets to start. It was a lifesaver of a show set amongst things like The Money Programme and Songs of Praise. I loved it. It was funny, the characters were great, and my parents liked it because it had that classic quality of a great kids television show, in that the humour worked on many levels.

My children are now of an age to enjoy the muppets and I ordered this with great trepidation thinking like many other things from my childhood, it might not live up to expectation. Thankfully it does. It really does. I still love it, and now my kids love it too. Our particular favourite sketch has got to be the classic Mnah, Mnah, which still had me falling about after all these years. It is still fresh, still original and still highly entertaining. The kids and I have a lasting fondness for the wonderful figure of Gonzo, who gets perpetually blown up, and as an adult I now realise that Kermit isn't as boring as I used to think he was!

Great extras, lots of episodes to enjoy. A real treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great presentation of a classic show, 30 April 2006
A. Jeet (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Don't be fooled by some of the other comments suggesting that the order of the shows is incorrect and that scenes are missing.

For starters if Rien had bothered to switch on the very informative muppets trivia on the DVD he would have had the explanation of why Scooter is introduced in episode 6 after appearing in earlier shows. A quick check of imdb.com also confirms the episode order is correct on the DVDs.

Enabling the trivia also explains perhaps why not every scene is shown. Originally, when The Muppet Show was broadcast in the UK different scenes were substituted to give the show a more local appeal. What is presented, on the UK DVD, at least is the UK version of the shows so clearly there will be some scenes missing is you lok at it from an American point of view.

Overall the presentation is good and the additional Muppet trivia is very very interesting. A must for any Muppet fan or person wanting to re-live for childhood memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 April 2006
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Its fantastic to see The Muppets back! Timeless comedy, even if you haven't heard of half the guest stars!!

A good feature on the DVD's are the "Muppet Morsels", information about the episode you're watching with all the dates tha the show was made and when it was first aired. It explains how the characters developed throughout the series, like for example, Scooter is in the first few episodes, then disappears, then reappears being introduced as the new kid. This was because the Americans didn't see the first 3 shows and so Scooter had to be re-introduced into the Muppet world.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a kid again, 14 April 2010
I. Balogh "derWahn" (Spillern) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I grew up in Austria watching SKY and BBC to learn English. If my marks improved I can not remember. At least it saved me with the pronunciation. I know for sure that I spent every Saturday morning with the Muppets and now I relive these dear moments again. The DVD quality of all three seasons is wonderful. I find the space-saving thin cases are especially well designed. Despite the fact that there are 2 more seasons to come this was a good decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Think That's What is Called a Running Gag.", 19 Jun 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The 1970's saw a lot of variety shows on TV, but none were as unique as The Muppet Show. Here, you had large puppets doing the dances, singing the songs, telling the jokes, and performing the skits. And they do it well.

It's hard to describe the typical episode because they have some variety. Each episode features a special guest star (more on that later) who is involved in a few of the scenes. There are usually a variety of skits and at least one or two song and dance numbers. And there's the behind the scenes drama. We are always treated to some backstage antics as poor host Kermit the Frog has to put up with the temperamental stars of the show. Whether its stand up comic Fozzie Bear who thinks no one wants him around to a band who has decided the theme song isn't hip enough so they plan to quit, he's got to make sure the show goes on.

There are some regular skits. There's always a segment where we are treated to jokes by people at a dance. There are lots of Special News Bulletins with some wacky news items. Veterinarian's Hospital is an excuse for really bad puns, so naturally, I love it. And everything is commented on by Statler and Waldorf, the two gentlemen in the balcony who heckle everything, especially poor Fozzie as he tries to tell some jokes.

I do know enough about the show to know that some things haven't fully developed yet. Miss Piggy's looks change later. Beaker isn't helping Dr. Bunsen Honeydew in the lap yet. And my favorite recurring segment, "Pigs in Space" isn't anywhere to be seen. But what is here is still very funny.

As I mentioned earlier, each episode has a guest star. While I recognize some of them, like Joel Grey, Florence Henderson, Candice Bergen, or Valerie Harper, I don't know who most of them are. After all, the show is 30 years old. But that doesn't matter because the jokes are still funny and the songs are still great.

As long as we're mentioned the songs, be on the look out for the classic "It's Not Easy Being Green" and the Muppet version of "Mahna-Mahna." Plus this set is a rare chance to hear the words to "Never Smile at a Crocodile."

The set contains 24 half hour episodes on four discs. All the episodes come with "Muppet Morsels" which are trivia tidbits that appear on screen every so often. The final disc feature the original pitch reel and the original pilot, which is much different and not nearly as funny. Finally, there are some fun promos that aired during the first season.

I avoided getting this season for a long time. Why? Because I was afraid I would love it and immediately decide I needed the rest of the seasons. And guess what. I'm looking to buy seasons 2 and 3. This show is hysterically funny and still highly entertaining. It hasn't aged a bit in 30 years.

So if you want a show that will make the entire family laugh, get this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully uncut, 4 Nov 2005
Frank (Amsterdam, Holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the US version and it is great. I can't wait to get the next seasons. In the US version some songs have been cut out due to missing copy rights like Vincent Price's "You've got a friend" and Jim Nabors' "Gone with the wind". That is really sad.
I wonder of the same cuts are out as well on this release; on dvdanswers.com, they state that the region 2 is complete, without cuts. In that case I would buy it once more.
So, people who bought this one: please inform the others on the cuts!!
Anyway, it is worth it anyway, image and sound quality are really great for an old show like this and the lot of extra's are great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for bringing back this happy memory from my childhood, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
One of the few sad things about growing up is that often when you see a book or a movie or a TV show that you loved as a child, you find that it's not so good anymore - you have grown too old to enjoy it. Not so with The Muppet Show. It's as good as it ever was, and even better, since by now my English has improved so much that I can actually understand all the jokes, song texts and stuff.

Everyone in my generation knows The Muppet Show. I was too young to remember many details from the show when it was on TV, but I remembered the feeling how much I liked it. It must have been almost 30 years that I have been dreaming about seeing it again. But they never re-ran it on TV. I succeeded in finding the theme song and lots of pictures, and I saw several Muppet movies, but they were not the real thing. Then, a few years ago, I got my hands on some kind of a "Best of" compilation of Muppet sketches, and that wasn't the real thing either. This 4 DVD box is the real thing. It contains all Season 1 shows, unabridged, just the way they were.

I watched through this twice, and bought Season 2, too. I can't get enough of the Muppets. They're one of the best things that has happened to me in recent years.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT Uncut...SAME AS REGION 1 DVD'S, 11 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Some other reviews mentioned the region 2 dvd's are completely uncut unlike the American region 1 dvd's that have some songs cut for music rights reasons and some sketches cut for reasons unknown. I bought the r2 dvd set based on these reviews having previously purchased the r1's. DON'T BE FOOLED...the same cuts that are in the r1's are also in the r2's...the exact same edits occur. The only reason for American fans of The Muppet Show to buy the UK discs would be either for completist collection sake or if you would like to hear the show in French or view subtitles in different languages. If you're looking for the material cut from the American discs, you WON'T find them here, i'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars its time to light the lights, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Awesome DVD the muppets first ever apppearence credited as the muppets because Kermit has appeared on Sam and friends I really do recomend getting this because it is funny and everyone will love it great songs and lots of fun 5 stars were easily given for me buy it now

5.0 out of 5 stars timeless fun, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
After reading Jim Henson's biography decided to return to the original Muppet shows from my childhood , watching them now the humour is very hit and miss but every minute is still a joy to watch and can now appreciate the skill and hard work that went into each show.
You will learn to love characters you didn't before and enjoy the guests stars some long forgotten..and also the complete zaniness of everything going on.
Stadler and Waldorf in the viewing box are constantly hilarious and cutting and each Muppet really has it's own personality and feelings.
I have bought all 3 seasons and wait patiently for the release of Seasons 4 and 5..if they ever emerge, i'm guessing there are some legal setbacks somewhere.
The special features are somewhat limited, making of documentaries would have been great, but you do get Muppet morsels which when chosen has snippets of interesting facts as you watch it happen on screen.
Also if you have younger children like me that are now into Muppets because of the new films then they may enjoy seeing where it started.

The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD]
The Muppet Show - Season 1 [DVD] by The Muppet Show (DVD - 2005)
11.36