5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the best horror series gets its due on DVD!
The Phantasm series is my favourite horror movie series. Much as I love Romero's Dead and Raimi's Evil Dead films, Phantasm's loopy dream logic and anything-goes weirdness beats them hands down (and I like Reggie better than Ash too). However in terms of DVD coverage, the series has been treated poorly - until now.
BIG kudos to Anchor Bay for the...
Published on 23 Nov 2005 by Joey Narcotic

3.0 out of 5 stars once and once only?
I watched this whole series of films back-to-back on 4 nights when my other half was sofa-bound and pregnant. They drove her nuts, and me likewise. Infuriatingly bad, nonsensical gibberish that somehow manages to be compulsive viewing too. We swore it'd be a once in a lifetime thing, but something about how the whole experience of watching the Phantasm series will make...
Published on 8 Dec 2009 by Ian Mackenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the best horror series gets its due on DVD!, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
BIG kudos to Anchor Bay for the stellar job they've done on this release. Every movie is beautifully remastered, and I've noticed a lot more visual detail than ever before - on the VHS release of Phantasm II I couldn't even see that one of the spheres was a different colour to the others!
The supplements are fappo too. The commentaries on all four discs are great, though III does suffer a little from Don Coscarelli's absence. Up & coming Brit cult auteur Jake (Razor Blade Smile, Evil Aliens) West contributes a phantastic doco on the bonus disc, and the other more minor supplements (the Reggie tour etc) are mostly worthwhile. Even some of the easter eggs are substantial featurettes in themselves!
The packaging is beautiful. Who hasn't wanted one of those lovely silver spheres on their shelf? Like all novelty packaging it's a bit suspect for actually storing the DVDs safely, but it looks damn cool - a lot better than Anchor Bay's chintzy Hellraiser puzzlebox.
The movies themselves are the real fappo. My personal favourite is II, because the first time I saw it I felt like I'd already dreamt it. I is a spooky and cool kid's nightmare a la Invaders From Mars and The 5000 Fingers Of Dr. T. III is a fun (if silly) action/comedy entry. IV is a beautiful return to the aesthetics of the original.
These movies are not for those who value coherent storylines and polished Hollywood acting above all else. However if you like a touch (or a huge dollop) of surrealism in your horror, the Phantasm movies are a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss it!, 31 Aug 2008
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
For years I hesitated to purchase this set, especialy after the introduction of Blu-Ray, thinking that the quality would be more or less similar to those of VHS and early DVDs. What a grave misjudgement! The picture quality of 1 and 2 is almost equal to Blu-Ray (I watched on PS3 and Full HD Sony 46V3000) and the sound is the best it could be, so if you ever had a soft spot for The Tall Man and The Spheres don't hesitate. It already hard to find item, so Amazon UK is your last resort, as was to me. No time to wait, trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars this isn't so much a review as a warning!, 24 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
this has nothing to do with the films- they are all great and any one reading this will already know that. but please be very careful when opening your box as the outer package is so flimsy that it will rip the box open (like mine did) when you try to get inside. just a little warning!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Unique Collection & A Kewl Piece of Art!!, 26 Nov 2011
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
"A True Find...". I have been looking for this title everywhere only to find it has never been released on DVD in America so it is always nice to know I can reach across the pond and receive it with no problems which I can now enjoy...

5.0 out of 5 stars sphere with wings, 16 Sep 2010
Wendy Fani "The Castle" (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Great to have in my collection, looks very interesting.
Good presentation in the sphere too, simple but very well done!
One collectible to buy*

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Box Set, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Although the box arrives a bit battered (packing cound have been better) the box itself and the sphere are great. I remember going to the cinema in Newcastle to watch the first film and now love the 'very' 1970s style to the film. Some great moments and well worth it if your a fan of the first or any of the films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Stuff!, 1 Jun 2010
C. LeGrow "Worgel" (St. John's, NL, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
The Phantasm films to me represent that time in my life when everything just clicked even if it was just for a relatively short time. It was like 12 or 1am when I watched the first one for the first time which was perfect for this kind of movie. Its a dreamy flick to begin with and goes great with dreamy substances that you share with friends (finger touching nose motion or wink wink, which ever one gets the message across). Overall the film is like going back to your childhood/early teenage years when just about anything was possible or at least it seemed that way. The movie has it all, a great villan, sympathetic good guys, car chases, guns, ghouls, a boob or two and lots of other stuff. I won't give anything else away, I've said too much already. I can feel the "Tall Man" in my mind already. I must go now!

Oh no!
Its too late!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best colection of thiscut film, 5 April 2009
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Now you holding in your hand the coolest colection of this clasic masterpiese whith a sphere shaped box set all four movies plus extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set! Not Available in the USA, 2 Nov 2007
Weatherman (Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Here is one great set of movies! And in the Phantasm Sphere to store the movies yet!

Yet here we are almost three years after it's release and it's still not available in the USA!!??? And even if you wanted to purchase the complete set(sphere is not available), plus movie two (Phantasm II: The Ball is Back)is not available at all for purchase be it on DVD or VHS even!

So those who want these Phantasm movies need to have a multi-region (America is Region 1 and UK DVD are region 2) DVD player along with the player having an internal PAL/NTSC converter (we in America have NTSC TV).

This is one fine set of movies!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star box set!, 29 Dec 2006
This review is from: Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
In the states we can only get Phantasm 1 and 4. They won't release the other two on DVD. For that reason I bought this set and I'm more than happy. Due to some being better than others I wish they would have made it a trilogy instead. I'm still glad they made the fourth one to clear up loose ends. The sphere is well made with the discs sitting securely in foam. The movies never looked better and DTS sound is more than I could have asked for. You should pick up this set since you may never see it again.

Phantasm Sphere : The Complete Collection [DVD]