5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent image quality for a compact point-and-shoot camera
I was looking for a compact, point-and-shoot camera which was small and durable enough to carry in my pocket, and which gave good picture quality in all lighting conditions. After reading several glowing reviews of the Ixus 750 I couldn't wait to get my hands on one, and I have absolutely no regrets.

I have two main uses for a compact camera: holiday photos,...
Published on 25 Jun 2006 by B. James

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad
The Good.

Published on 13 Jun 2006 by G. Crossett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent image quality for a compact point-and-shoot camera, 25 Jun 2006
B. James (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Digital IXUS 750 Silver Digital Camera [7MP, 3 x Optical Zoom] (Electronics)

I have two main uses for a compact camera: holiday photos, and shots in low lighting conditions. I hate using the flash when indoors, as it tends to lead to unflattering pictures of pasty-white people against dark backgrounds, but even in cameras of above-average quality the alternative is usually noisy, blurred pictures. Not so with the Ixus 750; I was very impressed when I uploaded my first indoor pictures to my computer and studied them in detail to find almost zero noise or graininess, even in dark areas.

Being able to take pictures quickly and easily is very important to me in a compact camera. So I was delighted with the fast startup time and low shutter lag of the Ixus 750.

Build quality and durability are also essential to me, as I tend not to carry my compact camera in a case. The Ixus 750 looks and feels luxurious, but is also more than adequately sturdy. The matte surface of the metal body is resistant to scratches, the "feel" of the buttons is just right, and the cover for the AV and USB ports does not look as if it will drop off at any moment. The large screen has a durable coating so fingerprints can be wiped away without too much fear of scratching it. The size of the camera is such that I can slip it into my jeans pocket and carry it all day without even noticing it is there.

But the most important thing to me, at the end of the day when I upload the images onto my computer, is always going to be the image quality. I was actually dumbstruck when, after trying some macro photography in a well-lit room, I viewed the images at 100% zoom on my screen to find that they were completely pin-sharp.

Is there anything bad about this camera? Well, the tiny optical viewfinder is useless and badly positioned, but you're a moron anyway if you are going to use it instead of the huge, bright screen. If you want a camera which will take your cautious expectations of a point-and-shoot compact at the 200 mark, laugh at them, piss all over them and return them to you in sodden shreds this is the camera for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be the best out there at the moment, 29 Mar 2006
Crispin Coombs (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera as a replacement for an old APS compact camera. Not being a major camera enthusiast I wanted another compact but the comments below reflect what I used to make my decision. This is also my first proper digital camera.
I spent quite a lot of time reviewing the compact digital cameras available and the Canon 750 seemed to come out the best almost all the time. Which? also included the Ixus 700 as one of their best buys (earlier model by a few months) - the 750 has a bigger LCD screen than the 700 which helps although the resolution could be a little better - not that it's a major drawback (other than that they're pretty much the same from what I can tell from the reviews).
The 32mb memory card which comes with the camera is far too small to be useful. I bought a 512K ultra II sandisk card and it works fine and gives around 225 shots - compared to 9 on the 32mb card! However, the 32mb card does give you something to start playing with.
Batteries seem to be described in terms of how many shots a camera can take but a lot of it depends on how long you have the LCD screen on for to review your photos. I've found the battery life to be acceptable if not amazing. Having the option of the viewfinder helps as you can always turn off the screen if your battery is dying or it's really sunny. I have decided to buy a spare battery so that I don't get caught out.
As ever with a compact camera, red eye is a problem - however, the free Arcsoft software that comes with the camera has an auto red eye function that seems to work pretty well (two clicks and red eyes are gone) although you do have to touch up all the required photos.
Overall, I've been really impressed with the quality of the photo's that I've taken so far. The macro feature works really well for close up zoom shots (e.g. on flower petals) and the movies seems pretty good. The menus are clear and pretty easy to use. This camera does give some more options than my old compact, such as portrait mode (keeping the main person in the photo in focus and blurring the background a bit) which are fun to play with.
I would happily recommend this camera although be prepared to buy another SD memory card, case (the leather one from Canon for the IXUS 750 is nice) and think about a spare battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!, 31 May 2006
Having recieved my camera today, I have tested it and compared it to my previous camera, a Canon Ixus V3 and I can see great differences already. I disagree with a previous review that slates the camera for being poor at night because I have found it is just as sharp and full of colour at night as well as day time. Check your settings!

The 2.5" screen is superb and sharp and carries all the info needed to check correct operation.

I like the flash screen whilst checking your photos out too.

I'm glad I didn't go for the larger screened Canon Ixus 65 as having previously looked at it in a shop, I think the screen (very much similar to a mobile phone plastic screen) will be easily scratched and will ruin it. It also leaves very little area to hold the camera and the risk of getting your fingerprints all over it!

I recommend a larger SD card, preferably a Sandisk Extreme III either 1gb (approx 315 photos on max setting) or 2gb version (around 600 photos). I have the 1gb version and it is one awesome card. Saving now for a spare 2gb one!

Also a spare battery is helpful too.

Connecting the camera to a PC is really simple and moving your photos to the PC is quick and easy. Make sure you insert the CD (supplied) first before connecting camera! I like the features of downloading profiles (supplied) to your camera too. Just makes it a bit more fun.

I have found you can view car regestration numbers from around 200+ feet when zoomed in and the digital macro is a neat touch.

All in all, it's a compact camera, you can put it in your pocket and take great photos anytime, if you are after superb quality pictures and lots of messing about then fork out for a Digital SLR which will not fit in your pocket! Canon and Nikon are the best in the range so stick to them!

I give it 10/10.

Well done Canon!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant camera, 19 Mar 2006
Dean Calculator (newport, gwent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
On my third digital camera in the last five years,Fuji,Pentax optio and now The IXUS 750.
I read all the reviews on this camera and its Sony equivalent and went for the Canon,mostly because i have SD memory cards already and i have a canon printer which I really rate.
The camera looks absolutely gorgeous,and the picture quality is stunning,the manual settings let you have almost every photo option you can think of,yet the auto function does it all for you If thats what you prefer.
Why only 4 stars ?? I still can't believe you spend this amount of money and you don't get a case !(although all cameras are the same) also you only get a basic booklet with it ,the full manual ,100+ pages is only accessed by the disc,which is a real pain.But once you find your way around the camera it is very logical.
Overall a great camera,and the Amazon price was to good to miss

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 28 Feb 2006
BruceB (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Bought the camera at the end of November to replace a Fuji.
Have used it continually since then and the only possible shortcomings are the red eye [easily fixed, and I only use flash in extremis anyway] and the proprietary battery. In short, these are not really important.
Results are excellent and particularly impressive is the movie capability - I have bought 1Gb and 2Gb cards for this.
The camera is immensely portable, robust, reliable. Having reviewed the market extensively before buying, I am absolutely delighted with my choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera for sale, excluding IXUS 800 IS, 4 Oct 2006
Philip Hale "halep09" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
First Impressions:
Small, light, well made. The silver finish adds to the style of this camera. The lack of a case is very annoying, as is a screen cleaning cloth. Software mediocre, I'd use picasa - available free from Google. Start up time phenomenal. Very initiative controls.

Ergonomics and aesthetics:
Matte silver finish, VERY small, excellent attention to detail, even the sticker with the serial number on it looks classy.
Nice, sturdy feel to it, no creeks or bending.

Taking photos:
I find the pictures taken come out a little blurry unless the camera is resting on your knee or something. This is something which is very hard to get used to with smaller cameras, but don't assume its just the 750, as smaller things are harder to balance. The viewfinder is a nice touch, but in my opinion useless, as you have to press you face against the screen, creating smudges on the screen. As said before, start up time unreal, less than a second for sure; I'd say around 0.5 seconds.

Modes:
Well, the fully automatic mode is excellent, but I would like to be able to have a fully automatic mode with a few more options unlocked.
The my colours feature is so much fun. You can create really artistic pictures with this, choosing only certain colours to show through, or replacing all the white colours with black and visa versa. As far as fun goes, this camera is unrivaled.
The different scene modes seem to me as more of a gimmick, but I am sure someone has benefited from them.
The flash is effective, but over zealous. I hate flashes personally, they ruin a good picture. I'd have preferred it if canon had ditched the flash altogether and added an image stabilizer, which is essential for a camera this small.
Macro mode is good, have some nice pics of petals etc. Resolution is all one could ever need. Remember, your screen resolution or your printers limit you so resolutions above 3000 are insane for everyday.

Niggles or Unexpected cool features:
-- Battery indicator only shows if the cameras about to die. Can be very frustrating.
-- Flimsy plastic covers for lead access
-- Battery has to be charged separately
+ If you take a portrait photo, then view it on 'play' mode later the image flips the right way for you
+ Cool animations on menu items
+ Sounds and images can be custom recorded with the camera (e.g. shutter sound)
+ Battery takes only an hour to recharge (approx.)
+ Comes with 100MB free web space to host your photos.

In conclusion, this review comes across more negative then this camera deserves, but I believe the other reviews list the positives of this camera anyway, I noticed a lack of criticism, which unsurprisingly this camera has. I would give it five or even six stars, but there is one major letdown:
The screen resolution is lower than I expected. I previously had a camera with a much smaller screen, but the resolution and brightness was a lot higher. (EDIT: after about 6 months of using the camera, the brightness and resolution is not an issue at all)

Final Line...
If you have the money, or a willing to wait, buy the ixus 800 IS. It has a longer battery, is the same size, has a higher resolution screen, has an image stabilizer, and basically fixes this camera's flaws. However, it costs more like 300 quid, whereas this beauty is a mere 207. (Prices have now changed enough for the 800 IS to be the more sensible buy).

Needed Accessories:
*The included memory card can hold less then 10 pictures on high quality, so a 1-gig card is needed. There's one on Amazon for 13 plus 4 P&P so I'm going for that. (EDIT: worth noting that when the quality is reduced to a minimum 640x480, 1GB gives you almost 10 thousand pictures!)
* A case. The canon branded ixus 700/750/800 IS case looks like the one to get.

I'm happy with my purchase, and if you go ahead and buy this camera, I guarantee you will be too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little marvel!, 29 Sep 2005
Mr. T (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
No bigger/heavier than a deck of cards but it packs a mega punch! Image quality is quite outstandinding, and I was surprised at just how good. Some excellent features like stitch-assist for panoramas...my colours...scene modes etc......oh and that 2.5in. screen is just amazing! Build quality is excellent as one would expect from Canon and of course it's drop dead gorgeous. Can be a little fiddly if you have big hands but a worthwhile trade off for the magnificent images you can capture with this little gem.
I traded in my Powershot S50 when I bought the Ixus...I loved the old camera but this is very special. Totally portable ( yes it will slip in a shirt pocket! ) I am lucky enough to own a Canon DSLR also but I'm afraid it will be gathering dust for a while as I get to grips with all the Ixus 750 features.
You will not be disappointed in this camera...in fact you will be amazed! A design icon of the future!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, 13 Jun 2006
G. Crossett (UK) - See all my reviews
The Good.

The IXUS 750 has great resolution and can take very good close ups. It is very useful to be able to change the metering and also the AiAF to AF (centre spot). For portrait shots, wide angle (x1 zoom), the only thing you could possibly complain about is redeye, however this can easily be removed post-processing. The 750 has a fast continues shot mode when using a fast SD card. Shots taken in low light situations without flash were amazingly good. Down loading shots to a PC was fast and easy.

The Bad.

It is extremely difficult to hold the 750 still enough to get crisp shots. On many occasions I would have to take 5 shots to get one that was not blurred (AiAF or AF) and this was resting my hand on something. If you use the optical zoom things get worse. For example at x3 zoom placed on a table using the timer to take the shot, the hand shake icon would still be flashing. However shot taken when place on a table or tripod would not actually be blurred. The 750's ability to focus on landscapes, whether in landscape mode (infinity) or not, were never crisp. In fact a shot of anything 20m away or more was not crisp, nor was it very blurred though. In short it is not easy to hold the 750 still enough, even using the self timer to operate the shutter, to get a non blurred shot. If you are willing to take several shots and inspect each one by zooming in, then the 750 is a very good less than 20m camera and a fair landscape snapper.

And yes it would be great if canon would allow more manual control in manual mode, but they don't and you know that when you buy the camera.

7.1 Mega pixels is only useful if you can easily take sharp focused shots. If you can't take sharp shots 6 Mega pixels with an image stabilizing system is better, so go for the IXUS 800.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 15 Mar 2006
Having had this camera a few weeks I feel I've now had the experience to get a review up on my thoughts.
Opening the box the first thing that strikes you is just how well made it is, and the size is ideal. The screen on the back is big and bright enough for me to never have used the optical viewfinder yet, though it's reassuring to have it.
As said already in other reviews the 'intelligent' focusing isn't too great, but that's not a real problem as it can be turned off.
The main things I've been really pleased with is the Macro mode which works exceptionally well, and the stitch assist, which make taking panoramics easy on the camera, then the computer software strings them all together into a big JPEG or Quicktime VR. Another nice bonus is that the antishake works well, despite Cannon not shouting about it.
My only criticism other than the intelligent focus is the Mac software which is quite nasty to use, apart from the Stich Assist which is a seperate application. The plus side is that iPhoto is fully compatible, so if you use Mac OS X you can use that, just connect the USB lead and hit the button on the camera with a picture of a printer. Those two things are the only thing stopping it getting a 5*, but on the whole I'm very happy with its performance and it comes highly recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful little gem, 1 Jan 2006
Got this camera just before X-mas. Stunned by perfect appearance, superfast start-up, fast downloading and amazing pictures. Only drawbacks: my LCD has 1 defective pixel (which is within manufacturers limits), the AiAF is not THAT intelligent so better turned off most of the time, and the camera does not present the memory as a flash disk to the computer but acts as a "still camera", so it is not like your standard MP3-Player that you can use as a USB-Stick - but getting the pictures onto your computer is much more comfortable like this. I L O V E that camera!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›