VINE VOICEon 11 November 2011
I bought one of these in 1998 as a present to myself when I could first afford a "decent watch". Since then I have also gone on to have a couple of Omegas (Speedmaster and a Seamaster) as well as a couple of other premium Seikos but this one has, without doubt, proved to be the best value of the lot. Throughout all of this time it hasn't missed a beat, it's built like brick outhouse and still looks as good as the day I bought it despite regular use.

The automatic movement is ideal for a diver's watch as battery replacement becomes expensive if water resistant seals need replacing every time, and the supposed loss of accuracy over a quartz movement has proved negligible to non existent in my experience. The face is a lesson in simplicity with big clear lumibrite markings making it easy to see in the dark. The sweep second hand also has a "counterbalance style" lumibrite tab which I think is a nice feature. I find the addition of day as well as date in the 3 o'clock window a useful feature for us "old shift workers" who loose track of which day it is too easily. Adjustment is made using a screw down crown (for those who can't bothered to read the instructions turn it one way to adjust the date and the other for the day), and the depth rating to 20 atm means that it really will perform if called to.

The cost of this watch is a fraction of the service cost alone for my Omegas, yet it has proved more accurate and I think looks just as good. It's a little heavier, but then this is a big heavy watch - and I like it that way.

This model is available on a stainless steel bracelet or rubber strap. My experience with the bracelet was that some of the links stretched over time, I replaced it with a rubber strap (which technically is truer to the ethos being a diver's watch after all) and all has been well since.

This watch is my trusty old friend, and I look forward to many more years together!
on 21 May 2015
How Seiko make a profit on these watches baffling. The build quality is astonishingly good for the modest outlay and is even comparable to some Rolex's and Omegas in terms of fit and finish. In addition to the cost/value ratio, the main reason this watch has stood the test of time is due to it's image - it is simply the quintessential divers watch. It's looks reek of the 1970's which might prove off putting to some buyers but personally speaking it nails the retro look with aplomb. With the majority of products (watches not withstanding) there is always a concession to be made toward form or function which the 007 doesn't deem necessary to make - it looks just as good worn on a metal strap with a suit or sat next to your dive computer on a wet-suit sleeve.

Whilst the Casio G Shock is the arguably the toughest watch you can buy, the Seiko isn't far behind and there are numerous testament to this in the form of videos of the 007 being frozen then boiled and not missing a beat. The ancestor of the 007 were also common on the wrists of US Soldiers in Vietnam due to their durability The only drawback of the Seiko is that it is a mechanical watch - it will not be as resistant to knocks as a digital piece and will not maintain the same accuracy. My Seiko gains roughly a minute a week which is perfectly acceptable for a mechanical watch and unlike quartz will never need a battery replacement.

In short at under £200 this watch is a veritable bargain, and if serviced at the manufacturers recommended intervals will easily outlive the owner.

Buy one now.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 April 2011
Years ago as a combat engineer I found that I was going through a new watch once a month. The thing is I tended (like the rest) to purchase a very popular Japanese brand. However their plastic parts couldn't take the strain of bridge building . I bought those built for extreme conditions, those with metal bars and those with metal bracelets and every month saw me back at the local jewellers opening my wallet.
During a posting to Belize ,I spent a little more cash in which to buy a watch which would (hopefully) last my tour. It lasted a week. A visit to the NAAFI and they had two watches on sale. The Sekio and a cheap plastic watch. I bought the Sekio and it lasted me over 14 years.

I've since replaced it with the above watch and out of a collection of Chris Ward watches and a Tag, I find myself wearing this the most. Why? Because it is the most comfortable watch going, it never lets me down and it must be made by people who drink Irn-Bru. (Made from girders)

The watch is a little on the heavy side, but that is simply due to its construction. The weakest part is the strap. Oh the Sekio strap is a lot better than it used to be, but if anything is to fail on the watch it will be the strap but then I've gotten 3 years out of wearing mine day in day out. I replaced mine with one from the Strap shop (Cheaper than the high street)

In order to change the date and time on this watch you just turn the knob in opposite directions. (I know I should have read the booklet) Better you know now rather than spend ages trying to find the right notch.

Finally a tip for anybody who does purchase this watch, if it starts to slow down, (Usually after a few years) take it to the local watch jewellers and ask them for a service. It's amazing how a drop of oil works wonders.as I mentioned, I own a number of very nice watches , watches which cost a lot more than this one, but this is the one I always wear. That says everything to me.
33 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2015
I've had mine for about 4 years now and it is by far the most reliable and rugged watch I've ever had. It keeps better time than my tag, omega or hamilton watches that cost way, way more. I have dived all over the world with it and it has never let me down. Also a great holiday watch you can just leave on all day: beach, pool, bar or out to dinner, it always looks good. I'm a bit of a collector so swap straps a lot on my watches. Didn't like the plastic/rubber strap it came with so changed it a few times. Finally decided on a nato strap which is perfect. Got a 'vintage bond' one from amazon which looks great. Honestly the best all rounder your ever own.
review image
on 26 June 2015
I love the watch it is exactly as advertised. The day / date is easy to read and my eye sight is not the best. I changed the strap for a black NATO web type strap as I think it looks better and is more comfortable. The rubber strap that this watch comes with is a little uncomfortable, but this is me being a bit nit picky.

I should confess I am a watch freak so you may well find the strap ok.

Overall I love this product it represents great value for money and looks very smart.
on 26 October 2011
Great watch which looks rugged and well made. I love the "counter balance" second hand set up. I also like the strap, chunky and robust looking. Mine only arrived today so can't comment on its durability but others recommend it on this front. The quality of the machine work in the case and bezel are of a very high standard. My only caution is to not buy it from CHIC TIME who were awful - can't emphasise enough how bad they were!

So, update after 6 months: This watch is awesome. It has been covered in dirt, oil and swarf --- and it has all had no effect whatsoever on the watch , even the glass. I often scratch watch glass within a week of having them. I have also found it holds wonderful time, better than the digital clocks on my satnav and car when checked against the big ben chimes on the radio. I can confirm it survives dishwashing with no ill effects) either, I put it on the side in the kitchen and scooped it accidentally into the dishwasher - it had no effect whatsoever (but wouldn't recommend it! I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.
on 23 September 2010
I didn't buy my skx007 from this seller but I'd like to leave a review of the watch that I bought several years ago. This is a really lovely watch, heavy, about 12mm thick & carved from a solid piece of stainless steel. The uncluttered, open face is large (just over 3cm of glass, 4cm incl' the bezel) and is easy to read. The luminosity is exceptionally good. The glass is very scratch resistant (from experience!). The rubber strap is thick and heavy and built to last. The time keeping is excellent* (to within 2-3 seconds per 24hrs of the Atomic Clock). And of course you can wear it for extended far away adventures and never have the hassle of a battery failing. It's a really handsome rugged watch with a LONG history of daily use by professional divers/submariners and I totally adore mine.
* As this is an automatic watch you might need to adjust the timekeeping to suit your own level of activity, see comments below or search online for some instruction.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2015
I'm very pleased with this watch. I've had it a couple of months now and it's everything I wanted. I was looking for a masculine looking watch that was waterproof, fairly tough (i.e. wouldn't get too scratched up) but looked smart enough for work.

I replaced the rubber strap with a shark mesh bracelet and it's really transformed it. I could post pictures, but it'd be just as easy for you to Google "seiko diver shark mesh", if you want to see what it looks like.

Okay, alright, I've done it for you.

Apart from that. It appears to have very good build quality and is accurate to about 3 seconds per day. It's got an automatic movement which is great as it means you won't loose the waterproofing when you change the battery. It also means that it has a nice sweep second hand.

Overall a great watch and on par with a lot of much more expensive watches.
on 29 February 2016
What a shame, I have been wanting a Seiko divers watch for many years, I finally had enough to buy one. On arrival I was bitterly disappointed that, despite following the instructions, the watch wouldn't run for more than a minute, and even then would stop for no reason, even when being worn and moved about. This is not the quality of the seiko watches I remember, their quality control appears to be poor. Having said that this watch was made in Malaysia rather than Japan which may account for the poor quality, the watch is being returned to Amazon as defective. I will add that Amazon refunded the same day I returned the watch ( subject to the usual 5-7 working days) so top marks to Amazon for great service.
on 15 November 2011
A great watch!

I bought mine 4 years ago for a very good price about 100 pounds
and it's been with me around the world a couple of times since that time.
I've looked on amazon in those times but could only find them on Amazon.com.
had another look and found one in the Netherlands, in the parallel import.

Very robust and keeps on working in all kinds of circumstances, hot, cold countries,
sealevel, high altitude, never had a better watch than this one and I had a few in
my time. Tears in my eyes when I consider how much money I could have saved if this
watch would have been my first ever.

Seiko is one of few brands that have their production entirely in their
own hands in Japan and abroad, bringing great quality for many years now.
One fo the first quarz controlled watches was also from the hands of Hattori
Seiko, founder of the Seiko company.

This is probably my the last watch I bought, for life, I saw a simular Seiko in
1987 and was finally lucky enough to find this one in 2007

I also considered purchasing a Rolex submariner at the time as I thought never
to find the watch I wanted for so many years, good thing I didn't, I enjoyed a
couple of great holidays for the money I otherwise would have spend on the Rolex.

To keep it short, GREAT WATCH!!!

They also make great gifts!

Seiko Men's Watch SKX007K