Published on 11 Nov 2011 by Purple Ferret

1.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't keep time!
Lovely watch to look at, but unless you wake up in the middle of the night and wave it about, even if you have been active all day, it either loses time or stops.

Published 19 months ago by Stef C

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value watch you will ever buy (and probably the last!), 11 Nov 2011
Purple Ferret "TPW" (Harrogate UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Seiko Men's SKX007K Black Rubber Automatic Watch with Black Dial (Watch)
I bought one of these in 1998 as a present to myself when I could first afford a "decent watch". Since then I have also gone on to have a couple of Omegas (Speedmaster and a Seamaster) as well as a couple of other premium Seikos but this one has, without doubt, proved to be the best value of the lot. Throughout all of this time it hasn't missed a beat, it's built like brick outhouse and still looks as good as the day I bought it despite regular use.

The automatic movement is ideal for a diver's watch as battery replacement becomes expensive if water resistant seals need replacing every time, and the supposed loss of accuracy over a quartz movement has proved negligible to non existent in my experience. The face is a lesson in simplicity with big clear lumibrite markings making it easy to see in the dark. The sweep second hand also has a "counterbalance style" lumibrite tab which I think is a nice feature. I find the addition of day as well as date in the 3 o'clock window a useful feature for us "old shift workers" who loose track of which day it is too easily. Adjustment is made using a screw down crown (for those who can't bothered to read the instructions turn it one way to adjust the date and the other for the day), and the depth rating to 20 atm means that it really will perform if called to.

The cost of this watch is a fraction of the service cost alone for my Omegas, yet it has proved more accurate and I think looks just as good. It's a little heavier, but then this is a big heavy watch - and I like it that way.

This model is available on a stainless steel bracelet or rubber strap. My experience with the bracelet was that some of the links stretched over time, I replaced it with a rubber strap (which technically is truer to the ethos being a diver's watch after all) and all has been well since.

This watch is my trusty old friend, and I look forward to many more years together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Built like an outhouse., 19 April 2011
F. Patel (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Years ago as a combat engineer I found that I was going through a new watch once a month. The thing is I tended (like the rest) to purchase a very popular Japanese brand. However their plastic parts couldn't take the strain of bridge building . I bought those built for extreme conditions, those with metal bars and those with metal bracelets and every month saw me back at the local jewellers opening my wallet.
During a posting to Belize ,I spent a little more cash in which to buy a watch which would (hopefully) last my tour. It lasted a week. A visit to the NAAFI and they had two watches on sale. The Sekio and a cheap plastic watch. I bought the Sekio and it lasted me over 14 years.

I've since replaced it with the above watch and out of a collection of Chris Ward watches and a Tag, I find myself wearing this the most. Why? Because it is the most comfortable watch going, it never lets me down and it must be made by people who drink Irn-Bru. (Made from girders)

The watch is a little on the heavy side, but that is simply due to its construction. The weakest part is the strap. Oh the Sekio strap is a lot better than it used to be, but if anything is to fail on the watch it will be the strap but then I've gotten 3 years out of wearing mine day in day out. I replaced mine with one from the Strap shop (Cheaper than the high street)

In order to change the date and time on this watch you just turn the knob in opposite directions. (I know I should have read the booklet) Better you know now rather than spend ages trying to find the right notch.

Finally a tip for anybody who does purchase this watch, if it starts to slow down, (Usually after a few years) take it to the local watch jewellers and ask them for a service. It's amazing how a drop of oil works wonders.as I mentioned, I own a number of very nice watches , watches which cost a lot more than this one, but this is the one I always wear. That says everything to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value, 14 May 2013
The real thing is as good as the pictures. Excellent quality and outstanding value.
Purchased as a good day to,day watch which will take a few knocks while I am working on my boat but looks like it is up to the task. So far so good. You won't get any better for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first Sight., 23 Sep 2010
I didn't buy my skx007 from this seller but I'd like to leave a review of the watch that I bought several years ago. This is a really lovely watch, heavy, about 12mm thick & carved from a solid piece of stainless steel. The uncluttered, open face is large (just over 3cm of glass, 4cm incl' the bezel) and is easy to read. The luminosity is exceptionally good. The glass is very scratch resistant (from experience!). The rubber strap is thick and heavy and built to last. The time keeping is excellent* (to within 2-3 seconds per 24hrs of the Atomic Clock). And of course you can wear it for extended far away adventures and never have the hassle of a battery failing. It's a really handsome rugged watch with a LONG history of daily use by professional divers/submariners and I totally adore mine.
* As this is an automatic watch you might need to adjust the timekeeping to suit your own level of activity, see comments below or search online for some instruction.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT WATCH!!!, 15 Nov 2011
A great watch!

I bought mine 4 years ago for a very good price about 100 pounds
and it's been with me around the world a couple of times since that time.
I've looked on amazon in those times but could only find them on Amazon.com.
had another look and found one in the Netherlands, in the parallel import.

Very robust and keeps on working in all kinds of circumstances, hot, cold countries,
sealevel, high altitude, never had a better watch than this one and I had a few in
my time. Tears in my eyes when I consider how much money I could have saved if this
watch would have been my first ever.

Seiko is one of few brands that have their production entirely in their
own hands in Japan and abroad, bringing great quality for many years now.
One fo the first quarz controlled watches was also from the hands of Hattori
Seiko, founder of the Seiko company.

This is probably my the last watch I bought, for life, I saw a simular Seiko in
1987 and was finally lucky enough to find this one in 2007

I also considered purchasing a Rolex submariner at the time as I thought never
to find the watch I wanted for so many years, good thing I didn't, I enjoyed a
couple of great holidays for the money I otherwise would have spend on the Rolex.

To keep it short, GREAT WATCH!!!

They also make great gifts!

Seiko Men's Watch SKX007K

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical watch, good looking and well priced!, 26 Oct 2011
Great watch which looks rugged and well made. I love the "counter balance" second hand set up. I also like the strap, chunky and robust looking. Mine only arrived today so can't comment on its durability but others recommend it on this front. The quality of the machine work in the case and bezel are of a very high standard. My only caution is to not buy it from CHIC TIME who were awful - can't emphasise enough how bad they were!

So, update after 6 months: This watch is awesome. It has been covered in dirt, oil and swarf --- and it has all had no effect whatsoever on the watch , even the glass. I often scratch watch glass within a week of having them. I have also found it holds wonderful time, better than the digital clocks on my satnav and car when checked against the big ben chimes on the radio. I can confirm it survives dishwashing with no ill effects) either, I put it on the side in the kitchen and scooped it accidentally into the dishwasher - it had no effect whatsoever (but wouldn't recommend it! I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent watch!, 18 Aug 2012
I cannot overstate the quality of this watch. The case is beautifully machined from a substantial block of stainless steel and with a tasteful combination of polished and satin finishes. The face is a model of clarity in a classic and classy sort of way, but if you want it to tell you the phases of the moon and the time in 30 different time zones, look elsewhere! As mentioned in other reviews, this is a chunky watch, certainly compared with the one I replaced. However I quickly got used to wearing it and the strap is very comfortable, especially if not worn tightly on the wrist. I don't often write product reviews, usually only when I'm particularly impressed or disappointed; this is one of those highly impressed occasions. Incidentally, I also recommend Mr Watch, who despite supplying from the US delivered very promptly with same or next day despatch, including DHL tracking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most expensive watch I've bought but worth it!, 12 Jan 2012
Monsieur (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got it from another seller for a little less than amazon and am well chuffed with it!
Looks great, feels great and hope to keep wearing this for many years to come.
Comes with the day in two languages - just set the day to the language you want and it should change over without any problems. Remember to push and turn the crown in when setting finished.
Seiko advise not to set the watch between 9pm - 4am.

1.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't keep time!, 18 Feb 2013

It came to me from Singapore, and it has just cost me £15 to return it! It has not been replaced, I have got the same watch back, although it seems to keep time better now. In future I will check where my buy is coming from!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Divers Watch, 8 April 2014
Watch is very nice. Easy to read time and date. The beziel seems solid and is not loose when rotating it. Overall all very happy at the moment.