4.0 out of 5 stars Its big
Despite the reviews mentioning this canister being large, I don't think I really comprehended just how big it would be. I have uploaded some images with a ruler to demonstrate the size. Despite the size I am still pleased with this.

Published 23 months ago by SBno1

1.0 out of 5 stars I Really wanted to like this
Having both a Zippo lighter and x2 Zippo hand warmers (which are decent well made products) I had no hesitation in buying this.
The supplier that sent this was exceptional and I feel sorry for them that I have to return it as it's not the suppliers fault.
Published 19 months ago by AJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Its big, 14 May 2013
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)

I use 2 of these to top up my hand warmers when away and the fuel is the right amount to fill up both. When filling up the breather holes do their job and allow a smooth clean flow. These canisters are an ideal top-up size without the need of taking an entire can of the stuff on a trip. I don't think that it is really practical to carry one of these as a key ring and fortunately I don't need to.

It is very well made and the seals are good enough to prevent leakage. The housing is thick enough that I feel confident it would survive a lorry driving over it or a drop from a great height without fracturing. I would advise being careful when unscrewing the main key ring cap and the nozzle cover as you could inadvertently loosen the nozzle on main canister.

I can't mark it down for the size as this is designed to hold sufficient fuel for 1 hand warmer - well maybe half a mark, I think there is space to be saved without compromising safety. I am also taking off half a mark for the cluttered top end of the key-ring (although easily remedied)

Reasonable price, well engineered, robust and good quality materials that you would expect from Zippo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's fire up the Zippo !, 17 Aug. 2011
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
Like much of the male population, I like making fire, and I especially like making it with a Zippo lighter (by that I obviously mean I like using a Zippo to make fire with, not getting "jiggy" with one, so no crass comments please), but even I have to admit that the way they haemorrhage fuel is annoying. You fill up your Zippo, put it away for a few weeks and in that time the fluid has all but disappeared. You would think that Zippo would have found a way to seal their lighters so that the fuel doesn't evaporate so quickly, but maybe they have a good reason for not having done it.

Well, partly in answer to that it seems that Zippo have indeed tried to solve the problem, not by going down the obvious route of sealing their lighters better, but by making this canister. A cylindrical tube about the size of an average thumb, the canister comes in 3 parts - the fuel-holding base, a screw-on dispensing nozzle, a screw-on nozzle cap and a screw-on top that covers the nozzle and cap and seals everything in. The whole item is made from aluminium and the nozzle and nozzle cap each have a rubber washer to prevent fuel leakage; I also like the idea of having both a nozzle cap and a top, which combined make the prospect of fuel getting out and into your trouser pocket much less likely.

The canister's aluminium is surprisingly thick so, unless you're particularly rough, superficial damage is all you're likely to ever do to it. And apart from the inevitable minor scratches that it comes with from the factory, the only other negative point about the look of the canister is the single `Zippo' transfer on the side that tells you who made it. Maybe Zippo hope that (like their lighters) this canister will be easily recognisable so more permanent branding isn't necessary, but I think we're a long way from this becoming the style icon that their lighters are. It's a non-point, really, but worth mentioning for the benefit of brand-junkies.

To fill the canister up, you unscrew the top, nozzle cap and nozzle, which allows access to the base inner, in to which you pour fuel directly from a can. It holds enough liquid to fill my Zippo without flooding it, and a second hole in the nozzle top lets air in as fuel comes out, so the canister empties quickly, but sometimes only after a little shaking. A lobster clasp is attached to the canister's top for easy attachment to your key-ring, but whether you'd want to leave it there is debatable as the aluminium body, while tough, is quite easily scratched, so your keys would certainly do it some (at least visual) damage. Zippo have included a small aluminium token on the chain which you can use to undo your lighter's flint screw, and a small rubber holder for spare flints but unfortunately no space in any part of the canister for spare wicks, so this is two-thirds refuelling device and only one-third Zippo maintenance kit.

I think that this item would appeal to anyone who uses their Zippo irregularly and who finds the evaporation of fuel from it to be a problem. It does mean having yet another thing to remember taking with you, unless you're happy to have it hanging from your key-ring that is, but this is one of those instances where the product really does do what it says on the proverbial tin. If you're in the market for a small canister to hold extra fuel for your Zippo or other brand lighter, then this is probably as good a solution as you'll find.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Really wanted to like this, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
But no mater how much or little I filled this up with (yes Zippo) lighter fluid it came gushing out around the thread when laying down on the table.
Of corse, if you keep it upright and still it's fine, but i intended to have this in my pocket and not hanging off a Christmas tree!
The device has a lovely look and quality feel with rubber washers to seal in the fluid (and Zippo branding too) so I really persevered with this for about an hour eventually calling Time as it just kept leaking when laying flat.
This is truly inexcusable from Zippo. Considering it's sole function is to keep one of the most flammable materials known to man sealed tightly it fails very badly. I wouldn't trust it to hold sand it's that bad!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't do what it says, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
I put some lighter fluid inside it and when it came to topping up my lighter it was empty. so my guess is that my one has a water tight error because other people didn't seem to have the same problem

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
Got here in good time and was as described but leaks fuel, that's okay but what isn't is a one line response from the seller telling me I didn't screw it on properly.....astonished at such bad customer service. So to anyone who buys this - these commonly have a thread too short for the washers provided. There are replacement washers available on ebay that do fit and fix this problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great Zippo product, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
I'm a Zippo fan, lots of lighters and accessories. Thought this was a great idea but each time I have gone to refill my lighter from it in an emergency it is almost empty, have checked the seals and they seem fine but it can't be airtight and the fuel is evaporating. A great idea but not so great in reality. More than a little disappointed which is a shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fuel Filler, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
These are rubbish, I cant believe Zippo put their name to them. I bought one; the first had a miss-cut thread which wouldn't tighten, I got a replacement and within a couple of days the key chain broke. So I have a portable zippo fuel cannister which sits in a drawer at home (next to my tin of lighter fuel) what a pile of junk. I doubt very much if they are actually made at the Zippo factory in America and the material, cheap aluminum, is really aweful; almost makes your teeth itch when your tightening the lid. And as for the ridiculous flint screw loosener, if you need something like this to loosen your screw...... You've overtightened it in the first place.

If you want a backup for your Zippo buy a 'True Utility FIRE STASH KEYRING - Mini Petrol Lighter' These are very hardwearing and an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 11 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
It isn't without it's faults but the main thing is that it holds the fuel adequately and that's all I was really concerned about. It does this well. Seems to have been measured to the exact amount you need to put in because it never floods my Zippo.

I attach it to my keys and so it's always with me when I need to refuel. I've been using it for around a year now. I'd guess maybe 3 times the screw on lid has managed to work itself loose inside my pocket. That's ok though because there is another screw on lid inside of that which is fitted with a little O-ring designed to prevent leakage and stop fuel evaporating. It would be unlikely that both would come loose.

The spout is well thought out too, there are 2 holes, one for the fuel to come out and one for oxygen to get in when pouring, this allows the fuel to flow out at a nice steady pace if you pour with the oxygen hole to the top. If it's underneath the spout when pouring the fuel drips out drop by drop. I think that this is a damage limitation measure just incase both lids come loose and your canister trys to flood your pocket with lighter fluid (highly unlikely).

I've figured out that 3 refills from this canister equates to a full measuring jug for the Zippo hand warmer, it's definetly easier and less messy to deliver fuel to the hand warmer with the canister instead of the jug supplied with the hand warmer which is just poorly designed. Well, there is nothing wrong with the jug, it's the opening you're expected to put the fuel in that is ridiculous. I'm currently burning my hand warmer on one canister of fuel to find out how long it can last, so far I'm at the 5 hour mark so I guess it's good for this too.

After 2 days of jangling around in my pocket the black Zippo logo had come off completely. I just feel that is very non-Zippo and expected a little bit more. Considering the lighters, you're left to wonder if you got a fake fuel canister.

Then there is the little piece of rubber that holds a couple of flints, completely useless, maybe if you don't keep the canister in your pocket it would work fine but for me this thing broke off in one day. I never did get around to putting a flint in there, electing instead to keep a spare under the pad inside my Zippo insert as I always do.

There's a small flat edged piece of metal attached which is supposed to serve as a means of loosening the screw for access to the flint chamber, it's a nice touch but I don't find it to be much use. Usually I can open mine with my thumbnail, failing that I can use the lip of the lid on the lighter. It does have the Zippo logo engraved on it which is the only indication that my canister is infact made by Zippo. Maybe they should have done that with the other logo too.

Anyway regardless of its flaws, I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The simple ideas are the best, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
Simple idea that keeps your lighter running, in fact the volume is half the filling jug for the zippo hand warmer. So you can carry fuel safely for your warmer, being prepared for winter

Make sure your flints are long enough if carrying one in the rubber tube, it could get lost. but you always lose a flint at an unfortunate time.

Wanted one for years and it stands up to that wait.

Be mindful that the logo is screen printed hence will wear off over time quicker if hung from keys, the little disc to turn the fling screw is stamped with the zippo logo.

I would buy this again as a stocking filler for a friend who has a zippo or other brand of fluid lighter

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy product, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Zippo Fuel Canister - Aluminum (Sports)
Very handy to have some extra fuel as you always run out at the wrong time. The key ring holder and clip are a bit of a clutter together with the flint holder which is not very practical. Container itself is very well made and safe.

Zippo Fuel Canister  - Aluminum