Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2014
Loved the movie great sound track brings all the memories back and more
on 20 May 2015
A great CD of the music from the movie...love it :)
on 20 November 2014
Didnt have the main musics from the film.
on 10 April 2015
Saw the film, bought the music.
on 12 July 2015
Good soundtrack
on 10 November 2014
Good value
on 17 February 2014
For me, what worked so well in the film fell short of expectations in audio alone. It's just my opinion.
on 21 August 2006
Two films before this, Cameron Crowe made ALMOST FAMOUS, which is easily one of my Top 10 all-time movies. Not only is the story endearing, well-acted and well-told, but the selection of songs from the late 1960s and early 1970s is impeccable. But given that Crowe was a famous rock critic of that period, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

However the selection of tunes for ELIZABETHTOWN is very poor. Most are taken from the past five years, many of them completely unknown to me. Even the self-penned ditty by his wife Nancy Wilson doesn't compare with what she composed for ALMOST FAMOUS.

Some reviewers of the DVD have written that ELIZABETHTOWN looks like a string of pop videos -- almost implying that the tunes were chosen first, then the plot of the movie was constructed from the lyrics of those songs. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why the movie didn't succeed on anything like the level of ALMOST FAMOUS, or even the flawed VANILLA SKY -- the songs were just too feeble. Some of the versions chosen are bizarre -- why choose the Hollies' version of 'Jesus was a cross-maker' when the original by the composer of the tune (Judee Sill) is superior?

What worries me most about the selection is that the songs virtually all seem to be based on acoustic guitar strumming, and within a very narrow range at that. On VANILLA SKY there was at least one keyboards-based tune (an excellent song from Radiohead's KID A). I now question Crowe's taste, which I never did before.

The only merit of the soundtrack for me is that it summons forth memories of Kirsten Dunst, who, contrary to all my previous impressions, is gorgeous in this movie.