Colour Name: Silver|Change

on 11 July 2013
Mine arrived yesterday and there's no other word for it but awesome. I'm my late 30's so these things take me back to my youth when I'd browse the Argos catalogue imagining being able to slip such a watch on my wrist. The look on my girlfriend's face when she first saw it however was priceless (don't think she's as big a fan as I am to put it mildly). To be clear though, this is pure 80's cheese. I love catching a glimpse of it's shiny golden awesomness from under my shirt cuff/coat sleeve/etc. I think it would go well with the grey leather jacket Johnny Depp's character wears in the 2nd half of the film blow.

Otherwise bracelet doesn't trap as many hairs as I would have imagined (hardly any in fact). Face is easy to read, slim case (so doesn't get caught in shirt cuffs) and waterproof to 30m (i.e. showerproof), so all round a pretty practical watch.

As other's have said, no instructions included meaning you have to spend a few seconds working out how to turn on/off the hourly chime. As no-one else seems to have shared how this is done - I believe you press and hold for a second the top right button until you hear a beep.

But if you have a bit of nostaligia for the 80 and don't mind people having a strong opinion either way on your watch, get one!
on 11 January 2010
This watch does everything I require of it - it tells the time and is gold with a retro-feel. Tres bien.
on 20 February 2010
I love the retro look and feel to it and you get a lot of watch for under £20.
Nice expandable bracelet, which I must admit I was going to replace because I prefer secure fastenings, but now I'm used to it - easy on and off and no hassle!
I have quite a small wrist being female, but I do have a preference for larger watches and this fits the bill.
I set the date, time and alarm function without using the instructions which are housed in the hard bit inside the box, so don't throw it away! Great buy.
on 6 March 2014
The watch is ok but...

It says on the amazon page that the case material is brass but it's plastic...
It also says the dial window is mineral but it's also plastic ... (not that I would have ever believed it had mineral galss at this price)
It obviously does not weigh 245 grams, more like 50 (48.7 to be precise).
Width and height (in the picture with the ruler) are also off by a couple of mm (smaller) but they're correct in the specs below.

I would not have bought it if I had known the case was plastic so for this I will only give it one star.
on 26 February 2016
Even though it comes without an instructions booklet a quick fiddle with the buttons will reveal their functions. I figured out how to work this watch in a matter of minutes, in the HIGHLY unlikely circumstance that you find yourself stumped, Google is your best friend. Its very comfy and I would regard it as a decent watch for telling the time, as its easy to see in most lights/angles and has an additional blue back light (accessed via the bottom right button). The watch face is also relatively flush with the strap, which is a bungee like, and gives your arm unhindered motion and after wearing it for a few minutes you forget that you put it on. If your hand is hairy and your debating whether to bother, I would advise running a finger under the strap from one side to the other to avoid getting your hairs pulling and also getting your skin pinched. The watch features time/date and an alarm function, a relatively low fuss product that just does the job of watch and for the price, I'd say its a good enough quality for the price.

I choose this watch because I set out to find a professional and stylish looking watch and I think I found that very watch.
on 26 April 2013
I am a surfer & need something to go over a winter wetsuit & winter gloves. The expanding bracelet on this watch is superb. Most of the dive watches on Amazon have only mens standard watch straps & even a mens long struggles with winter kit.

The watch itself is only depth rated to 10m which effectively means it is not much better than splash proof but my last watch took over 2 years of punishment in cold winter waves before finally dying recently. At around £20 it cost only a few pence per use. it is much more rugged than the specs suggest. The display is very clear & can be seen is bright sunlight. The hourly beep which is irritating to some reviewers is very helpful when surfing & you can easily loose track of time.

I would dearly love something like a citizen eco drive but until manufacturers of dive watches actually offer a usable extra long strap as an option, it looks like I will be sticking with the cheap & cheerful timex
on 9 December 2009
I had a similarly-priced Casio Casio Db-360N-1Aef Mens Digital Watch that I liked, but it only lasted about a year, and the replacement only lasted another year. I got this, hoping it will last longer.

Initial impressions are good. There's not a huge selection of digital watches that look decent, for a reasonable price. But this is good.

It doesn't have anywhere near as many features as the Casio. It has an alarm (one alarm, a similarly priced Casio might have five alarms), and a stop watch. A similarly priced Casio will have a lot more features.

I haven't had this watch very long to compare durability to the Casio, but hopefully the improvement will be significant enough to make up for the loss of features.

UPDATE: this kept running fine until the strap broke when I stepped on it in the dark in late 2013. Replaced with another of the same model. I'm happy with it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2012
I am a female, and I love this watch. It doesn't look to male-like. The expanding bracelet is handy, I had to take some links out as it was way too big for my thin wrist. The time is spot on, and has all the typical features a digital watch should have. Really pleased with it.
on 27 February 2014
I wanted a cheap watch for everyday use without the fuss of a fixed clasp which can be awkward.. The only surprising thing is that it looks rather nice when it is on your wrist - much better than the picture on the website.
on 9 November 2012
A few compainies such as Casio are jumping on the retro band wagon. I decided to buy this gem in gold just to be a little different (it is the same size as the equivilent casio within a mm or so). I love it, for the price it's a really eye-catching watch and oozes the retro charm you would want from buying such a time piece. If it's this look you want then buy this watch. Shiney gold surround to the black face and an elasticated band with a blocky brushed gold look which gives it a classy and expensive look beyond its price. You get the old school blue illumination on the face when you press the light, but in some lights the face appears to light up in green. 5 stars.