5.0 out of 5 stars Improves the quality of your water and your life
After looking at a cup of tea I'd made which had a slight film on the top, I decided that I'd had enough of drinking and making tea & coffee with hard water and looked to amazon for a reasonably priced water filter. After looking at a few products, I decided that this was the size I wanted and, more importantly, the amount of money I wanted to spend.

A day...
Published on 1 July 2008 by A. Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic function good, but a couple of small irritations
Fundamentally, this does what you buy it for; i.e. filter tap water so that it tastes nicer and doesn't fuzz up your kettle with limescale. It has a nicer design that the older Classic type jug, is a little easier to hold and the little flap through which you can run tap water is handy.

However, it has some small annoyances. Firstly, and this could just be...
Published on 18 May 2010 by Orange Prose

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves the quality of your water and your life, 1 July 2008
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)

A day later, my Brita Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug was in my hands. After a quick and easy assembly of all the parts (and a quick wash, naturally) it was ready to use and looking very smart. I took a glass of water from it and I was immediately impressed by just how clean tasting the water was - it was difficult to believe that the water I was drinking had come from my South London tap.

It also passed the tea and coffee test with flying colours. The taste of my freshly brewed coffee really comes through when it isn't fighting the impurities of hard water. For the very reasonable price of this water filter, the improvement in the quality of your water - and subsequently your life - is very noticable.

For those thinking of getting a water filter and worried about the running costs, it apparently gets through one cartridge a month on average and I bought myself a pack of three cartridges to go with this from amazon for just over the 10 mark. They are also available at all leading supermarkets, so you don't have to go hunting around specialist stores to keep your water filter going.

If you have noticably impure water, I would strongly recommend you invest in one of these handy little jugs. It fits right on my fridge door and, to be honest, I don't know why I waited this long to get one. Go on, treat yourself, you deserve great, clean tasting water.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more scummy tea or coffee, 19 Oct 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 4:33 Mins

After years of putting up with foul tasting water, kettles that didn't last for more than a year and tea / coffee with a scummy residue on top I decided it was time to purchase a water filter.

This Brita Marella filter is easy to assemble straight out of the box. It has three main parts plus one filter cartridge. The cartridge needs to be submerged under water until there are no more air bubbles and then placed into the internal jug. This jug fits inside the main container where the water is filtered and stored. The lid fits snugly on top of the main container.

Once the lid has been attached there is no need to remove it except for washing the jug or changing the filter. It fits snugly, perhaps a little too snugly as I have scratched my fingers a couple of times when trying to remove it. The lid feels flimsy, I'm not convinced it would stand up to a lot of wear and tear.

A sensor is fitted into the lid. To activate it for the first time you need to remove the plastic and then hold the start button down for around 6-10 seconds until all four bars appear. The sensor doesn't measure actual usage, instead it seems to be time based knocking off one bar per week until all four bars have disappeared. The filter says that it lasts for 100 uses so it all depends on how heavy a user you are of the jug and cartridge. However, it does act as a handy reminder because I have never remembered to keep count of how many times I've used the jug.

The jug is easy to clean in hot soapy water - it will go into the dishwasher but I've so far only washed mine by hand. There is a section underneath the lid and also under the base of the jug into which water gets trapped and it is difficult to get it out and dry the jug completely. I've ended up shaking mine a lot to get the last drips of water out.

Overall, it has made a huge difference to the taste of my water and the look of my tea and coffee - I no longer had a scummy residue on the top of them. So as a result I'm very happy with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic function good, but a couple of small irritations, 18 May 2010
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)

However, it has some small annoyances. Firstly, and this could just be peculiar to my kitchen, it doesn't fit in the door of my fridge - it's too fat.

Irritation number two: the Maxtra cartridge doesn't fit properly. Even when you 'click' it down, there is a gap between where the filter stops and where it is supposed to sit. A small amount of water gathers in this gap and doesn't filter through, as the hole through which filtered water is meant to pass has a raised ridge around the edge. Not sure that this water sits around long enough to get stagnant, but it's not very nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 11 April 2013
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
I haven't had a water filter jug before but having read an article about them I decided to invest in a reasonable priced one to start with. This was an amazing price and a great size. I didn't want a huge one so this fits the bill. The oly thing that, up to now, after a week the dot on the lid is still flashing in the same place as if I haven't used any water. I don't know if this is actually going to tell me when I need to change the cartridge. It has 4 bars and the instructions say approx. one bar per week but this isn't moving. May be I haven't used enough water! I don't know, but overall I great buy. I ordered the Matrix cartridges at the same time as they were so much cheaper than the shops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly and is great value, 9 Mar 2009
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
I've used this jug for a year now without problems. It's sturdy and provides enough water for a 2-person household. If you drink a lot of water or have a bigger household you'll probably need the larger size jug, but this one produces enough drinkable water for a day's usage.

The only issue is the battery operated indicator on the lid, which is an unnecessary addition and is often hard to get working. It's easier and more sensible to just go on taste. It's geared up to tell you when a month has passed. But drink a lot and you need to change filters more often than monthly and drink less and the filter lasts longer. You don't need an indicator to help you work that one out!

1.0 out of 5 stars A step down from the classic Brita filter systems., 28 Dec 2008
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
I can't comment on the taste of the water as I am lucky enough to receive relatively fresh tasting water on tap. The filtered water therefore makes little difference. The water here is quite hard though. After 10 years faithful service I decided to upgrade to this fridge door friendly type and threw out my old Brita Classic.

In the last 4 months (since moving to the new type of filter), light use of my seven year old kettle has seen it's element going from looking brand new to now being completely covered in thick, crusty limescale. I am still living in the same house, same water supply, the only thing that has changed is the filter I use for the water. I should point out that I always look after the filters, ensure they don't dry out and only use about one jug load of water a day on average.

Just in case it was me, I tried 3 new cartridges in the first two months, to no avail. For me it has to be one a one star rating as reducing the waters hardness is what I bought it for and it doesn't do it.

I am now on the lookout for a reasonably priced classic cartidge model to replace this one with.

**** UPDATE - 22nd March 2009 ****
Since the above review I carried on with the Marella using the "new and improved" Maxtra cartridges and my kettle continued to build up with limescale as did any saucepan when boiling vegatables. Two weeks ago I got so fed up I went through with my threat and bought an old style filter jug that uses the classic Brita filters.

Already I can once again see the element of my kettle (the limescale is breaking away, in chunks!) and my vegatables cook cleanly, leaving no residue on the cookware. There is also no longer any scum on top of my tea and everything made with the water tastes a lot, lot better than it did from the Marella filter.

Really this should be a Zero rated device as frankly, it is hopeless. I've thrown it away. (Into a recycler I might add!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and great tasting water, 30 May 2007
A. V. Stones (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
I live in an area where the water tastes absolutely foul, and after wasting money and effort buying bottled water I thought I'd give a water filter a go. I'm so pleased I did because this jug gets rid of every last trace of the nasty chlorine/chemical taste and is really easy to use with the lid flap you can flip open with your thumb. I've also found I drink a lot more water than I used to because I don't have to worry about supplies running out! Very pleased indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartburn......, 27 Dec 2008
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
I suffered from heartburn for more than 18 months, tried all the drugs, camera down the throat, the works - realised I didn't get heartburn on holiday and found a forum where a lady had discovered her problem was chlorinated tapwater.

Bought one of these a year ago - problem solved, I have to be stupid to get heartburn now but you have to use filtered water for cooking, brews, the lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting water!, 17 April 2009
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this around Christmas time and have never looked back.
My green tea tastes 10 times better and so does the water.

I love it and the cartridges aren't too expensive either!

Very simple and easy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars BRITA! Please change that mould promoting base, 14 Jan 2011
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BRITA Marella Cool White Water Filter Jug (Kitchen & Home)
The water filter works very well, it fits nicely in the fridge door and the cartridges are cheap.

But, like all Brita filter jugs, it has an open edge, a few millimetres deep, running around the base of the jug. It's enclosed, and often gets wet, and is very difficult to clean out, so is a perfect place for mould to grow. Which is does... very well...

So, every few months I get sick of trying to scrape the mould out with cocktail sticks and toothbrushes, and just give up and buy a new jug. I guess that's why BRITA keep that mould trap in place.