Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£31.89+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 8 November 2005
Akercocke remain one of britains most unique extreme bands. Their unusual blend of death, black and progressive music went to new levels on the last album, "Choronzon" and here it steps up yet again.
I loved Choronzon, but the only criticism i had of it was that it was a bit fragmented. You had your straight up death metal bits, your frosty black metal bits, and your progressive melodic bits. All of these on thier own were excellent adaptations of the style, but sometimes they seemed to me a bit bolted together. A criticism you cannot level at "Words...".
A lot has been made of the arrival of aussie guitarist Matt Wilcock, and perhaps his impact on this album is what Akercocke needed to bring everything in line. The metal parts of this album now thrash and bludgeon more than before, and the musicianship is impeccable as ever. But the best thing about this album is the way it mixes everything up, and comes out with some of the best songs Akercocke have done. The melodies that creep into songs like Shelter from the sand are nothing short of beautiful, and Akercocke now don't seem frightened to string out a good melody or harmony without interjecting it with a blastbeat. Not to say they don't, in places, but the variety is great.
A big step forward A+
on 9 January 2006
I had this sent to me in Thailand for my birthday, as I couldn't wait to get home before buying it. This was due entirely to the fact that Akercocke's two previous releases are simply the best things to have come out of the british extreme metal scene in ages !!!
With "Goat of Mendes", you have a pretty straight forward death/black cross over record, worthy of massive praise for its slightly different approach to the whole sound.
Then came the Delectable Choronzon, with its super-fast riffing, mind bending drumming and very original vocal patterns (something that really sets this lot apart from the pack).
So what about this new album? Well it doesn't have any massivly well endowed women on the cover, so thats a first.
Secondly, its just about as innovative as you can get when you are talking about extreme metal. And it is "extreme metal", not "death" metal, or "black" metal.
It has mixes of death metal and black metal, of course. Its Akercocke !! But its so much more than that.
The opening track, Verdelet, starts with a typical Akercocke death blast and Jason Mendonca gutteral bellow, but a few verses in and there is a real softening of the pace, and some clean vocals...infact, quite a lot of clean vocals.
The riffing on this particular track, when it all gets going again is enough to induce some serious trauma to the neck if head banging is your thing.(a common trend through out).
Track 3, Shelter from the sand, has one of the best vocal openings of any Akercocke song known to man. Mendonca reminds me of David Vincent with his deep, proud speaking style, usually followed by a totally unintelligable death growl, or high pitched black scream.
I'm not going to describe every track, but I will say that there is some electronica on here, some sampled vocals and a hell of a lot of switching (seamlessly mind you) between death metal, black metal, avantegarde moments and everything in between !!!
Mendonca was quoted as describing this album as " getting Terrorizer and Rush, throwing them in alift and letting them have a big fight".
Kind of.....
This album is not as "extreme" as previous offerings in that it has far more breaks from the all out death riffing, or black metal blasting of the previous albums. Its more refined, intelligent, and for want of a better word "grown up".
A thoroughly brilliant album.
Brilliant.........
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Akercocke have released one of the most innovative metal albums of the decade, and this is it. A furious mixture of Prog/Black/Death/metal that flows seamlessy together in a grandoise and frightening formula is what puts this album high above the rest of the stale metal scene.

There are so many atmospheres and such a grand scale of dynamics that you can listen to this over and over and never grow bored. The vocals cross over from death growls, to behind-the-mix black metal shrieks, to gothic singing perfectly in sync with the rest of the band. There are very melodic passages, blinding death/black metal madness and even at times a tinge of electronica, but none of the elements ever overpower each other. This album lacks absolutely nothing.
on 30 March 2006
I'd been listening to Akercocke infrequently since I saw them in 2001. I never actually bought any of their albums until this one last year. Having been impressed by 'The Goat of Mendes' and utterly blown away by 'Choronzon'; 'Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone' is just outrageously incredible.
An important factor in my liking of this album is the fact that several parts of it sound very 'London', as is the band's hometown. Of course, I may be the only person who feels this way and it's probably unitentional. I'm referring to some of the melodic sections during 'Verdelet' and 'Shelter from the sand'.
Musicianship is wonderful. I'd call a mix of black, progressive and melodic metal. It's evil atmosphere works in parallel with pulverising riffs, intricate melodic layers, blasting drums and a very distinctive bass sound which is clear, loud and superbly executed by Peter Theobalds.
My favourite songs on here (although I could name about nine....) are 'Intractable', written by Mendonca and displays brilliant mood and melody; 'Shelter from the sand' a mammoth progressive epic with great vocals and chords, 'Eyes of the dawn' with its majestic outro and last of all 'Verdelet'. This song has the most amazing outro melody I've ever heard. It's slow, simple and downright hyptonic, not to mention Satanic.
This album is the best I've heard for many years. It'd be far to early now to call my favourite album of all time, but who knows.........
Stunning.
on 1 June 2007
I have not been listening to Akercocke for that long, only a few years, but after listening to Goat Of Mendes I was hooked. Words That Go Unspoken is a different album to Goat Of Mendes, that is what makes them the most exciting black metal band in the UK. They are willing to take risks, and they are one of the few bands that have the ability to deliver. Words is a lot more progressive than their previous efforts, but still packs that Akercocke punch that totally immerses you and sucks you right in. It is an album which takes more than one listen, I found myself listening to it at least 5 times before I got it.

From the opening track Verdelet you know that they mean business. I don't rate albums on individual tracks, I rate it on the whole album, this album is flawless and in my opinion is joint 1st place with Nevermore's This Godless Endeavour as the metal album of 2005. They adapt effortlessly, one minute it's all gun's blazing with amazing drumming, crunching riffs, then it changes suddenly and becomes more progressive. The grunting along with screams works so well, and then they throw in some clear vocals as well. The sign of a true band is how they sound live, I have not had the luxury of seeing Akercocke live yet so I went onto a web site and watched them play the Verdelet the 1st track on the album. It sounded exactly like the studio recording, this band oozes quality.

I give this album the 5 stars it deserves,it probably deserves more. The truth be told Akercocke are the best metal band in the UK, and this album is a blueprint of how black metal should be in the future, exciting, intelligent and willing to take risks that will undeniably pay off.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was more than happy when I saw a new album by Akercocke.
Well it took me a few listens, about 5, to realise that I really liked this album. At first I only found the third track, "shelter from the sand" to be the most memorable. It has the most amazing opening since Infernal Rites on "the Goat of Mendes"...then, one by one, each song grew on me.
If you have a really open mind to different music and sound, its worth a listen. If you like death metal which contains growling and screaming then this is a fine progression, with scary horns and guitar distortions that are quite chilling.
What other death/extreme metal bands don't have that Akercocke do is style, innovation in sound, and a certain refined quality. Whilst they certainly are among the most evil sounding band around it's not beyond them to go for harmonious lyrics and singing.
If you can destinguish between death/extreme metal bands, then you will notice these guys are far more unique than others.
This album is a far progression from the first and if you loved the first you may not like this and think they are merely selling out. Not true, since "Goat of Mendes" they have been truly quality, and being signed onto Earache record label has done alot of good.
I listen to this music, I dont know half the lyrics, I dont walk around in death metal clothes or wear make up, (more like tesco clothes) I certainly dont beleive in the devil or act moody and swear at my parents. You dont have to to enjoy them! It doesnt influence my lifestyle in anyway...just listen to the fantastic noises and pray you dont go to hell. Of course, to most people it will sound like a dog choking, but hey, thats the way it goes these days...it's not like you'd expect to see a youth listening to Beethoven.
on 2 April 2015
very good item, excellent seller