on 3 January 2007
This remote is a slick piece of kit, and it's very easy to use. However, having used it for a couple of days I am left wondering how essential it really is. Sure, I can navigate through TV channels and the XBox 360 at the touch of a button, but since it doesn't have an AV button on there I still have to use my regular remote to get to the console screen in the first place (making the TV side of things pretty useless).

If you are considering this item, you probably use your 360 as a DVD player on top of a games console. If this is you then I would recommend the product; it puts a stop to fiddling around with the controller and speeds up the whole process. This is especially useful for those with the HDDVD drive add-on (probably why they included it in the kit).

The bottom line is that if you don't watch DVDs on your console too often and can make do with the controller, then do so. If you're a gadget freak like myself and want to make your life ever so slightly easier, then go for it.
on 5 October 2006
Whilst the Universal Media Remote is well made & designed, it is not explained anywhere on the packaging or product description that it is not compatible with all televisions sets. Unfortunately I found this out the hard way after purchasing it & attempting to tune it to my television set, which is a newly purchased Bush LCD HD TV, so I knew it was not because of an outdated TV set, after I enquired on the xbox website I discovered that not all television brands are compatible with the remote.

The control is well made, looks cool & the functionality of it does appear to be excellent, but before buying I'd advise you to check out the list of compatible television brands at [...]
55 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2011
I brought this product simply because firstly, i use my xbox as the household DVD player, and constantly turning the controller off and on was a nightmare as i wanted to save the batteries for when i play games. Secondly, i recently had a new TV and the supplied remote is frankly poor. It took me a good 15 minutes to set it up with the TV. I used the codes on xbox's website and had no luck connecting it with my TV, so i tried the scanning option - which worked. However, there are some buttons, key buttons, which don't work. Such as, Guide to see the programmes, mute and i can't turn my TV on with the remote, but i can turn it off..? However, they are the only bad issues with it. The look, and feel is exactly the same design as the controllers.. made to fit your hand, that lush texture and colour. The buttons have a lovely soft feel to them and impressively light up green when pressed. All the features work with the xbox, such as turning it on, accessing the middle button in a game. It's much easier to navigate and select with the remote too. Overall, if you're using the remote simply for the xbox, 5/5. overall looks and design, 5/5. But for what its meant to do, universal, it's a 4/5 for the key features which don't work.
on 23 January 2011
Needed a remote as I was getting fed up of turning my wireless controller off & on every time i wanted to watch a movie.
I stumbled upon this 360 remote & have not looked back since. it has all the buttons you require other than an av button to which in my case means I then need another remote to changeto av, but this isn't a huge downfall. Very easy to rig up to my TV. Just went on help on X-box 360 live - went to the help section & searched for remote control. Brought up the section I required & a huge list of TV codes that you can program into your remote so that it connects to your TV. very simple :O)
Also lights up green when using so when you are watching a good horror late, with no lighting, this can be very handy indeed.
I love it & i'm glad I made the purchase.
on 17 September 2010
I often use my 360 as an extender for my Windows Media Centre PC that is in a different room and for that purpose this product has been ideal. I don't play DVDs on my XBox but I imagine this remote is just as useful for those that do.

Physically the remote is comfortable and fits the hand nicely, although it doesn't balance in the middle so can feel a little bottom heavy though this will only bother you if you're very very fussy. The buttons light up brightly when you press one and the layout is reasonable. I like having insant access to Live TV and the Guide from the red and yellow buttons respectively and the "windows" button usefully turns on the XBox from cold and boots straight into the Media Centre extender program.

One thing to note is that this remote works using infra red rather than radio. This has both a good and a bad result. On the positive side there is no radio to "wake up" and so pressing a button after having not used the remote for a period of time, still works straight away without having to "wake" it up like you would with a standard 360 wireless controller. The downside, of course, is that you have to point the remote at the xbox when pressing the buttons.

I tried briefly to set up the "universal" functionality to control my TV but couldn't find the right code and as I usually want access to buttons such as aspect I didn't persevere.
on 18 June 2011
I recently had to start using the Xbox to watch video due to an issue with our other player. Watching DVDs was a nightmare when we wanted to pause for something as we had to press the X button on the controller, wait for that before we could pause etc. It is a joy to watch stuff now with this remote, it turns the Xbox on super quickly and off, no need to keep pressing the X button it works immediately. If you are intending to do a lot of viewing on the Xbox then buy this remote.
on 11 May 2010
This is an official microsoft xbox 360 Remote, what more can you ask for at a bargain price.
I wasn't sure at first about ordering but item arrived sealed and brand new so am very happy with purchase.
Fast delivery as well was impressed!! Comes with 2 AA Duracell Batteries inside packaging.

And if you lucky to have your xbox360 linked up to you pc with media player extender then you need this remote what a dream to use!
on 11 February 2008
I use my xbox to watch alot of media stored on my computer. Every time i wanted to pause something I found that my wireless controll had gone into power save and I coulndt reallyt undeerstand what the buttons were supposed to do..
The media remote has changed all that. I dont use any of its extra functions like programmed it to my TV so I find the remote a bit bigger than it needs to be, and its a bit annoying because you need to point it directly at the xbox 360 to get it to work. (my other telly remotes seem to work as long as you ponint them in th egeneral direction of the telly.)

Good bit of kit if you watch media, or use your xbox for doing more than just "games"
This is pretty essential if you want to kick back and enjoy DVDs, music and stream media fom your 360. It is designed well to match the 360 console, has all needed fuctions and doesn`t put a dent in your pocket at the price it is selling for. If that wasn`t enough, the buttons are backlit as well so you can navigate through functions in dim light. All in all, a great piece of kit from microsoft.
on 16 March 2013
To use Xbox 360 as a media centre device, this is the remote controller that you will want to use it, it has the buttons precisely for about everything (except RB/RT and LB/LT).

The remote uses two normal batteries and it has a green led which makes it perfectly usable to use at night which is when it becomes dark, as light's usually out.

For Xbox 360, the remote is already configured for the console, however, for a TV you will need to check via this list and the codes that are available: [...]
Here's the disadvantage of this Xbox Media Remote: Within 2-3 weeks the batteries will start to phase out and it will no longer be able to function correctly as a TV/Xbox remote because the batteries have to be replaced.

So either, have a dozen new batteries or rechargeable batteries. It's the only downside of the Xbox Media Remote, really.