Sin City is an enthralling cinematic adaptation of various stories from the graphic novels of Frank Miller.

The presentation and production values are unusual but excellent, utilising 'green scene' photography to allow the graphic and distorted backgrounds to be rich in detail and reproduce the 1950s American-style 'world' in and around the fictional story location of 'Basin City'.

The picture is largely black and white, with certain aspects accentuated with flashes of vivid or florescent colour; the overall effect is superb.

The stories are violent, sexist and basic; but this does mean the film is not utterly entertaining, shocking or mesmerising. It demands to be watched on a large screen with a good audio presentation, but DVD playback on a decent telly will do !

The 3 storylines are intertwined and feature murder, revenge, rough justice and conflict featuring a wealth of well-known actors such as Bruce Willis, Rutger Hauer, Rosario Dawson and (most significantly) Mickey Rourke.

The cast of characters contain a mixture of the grotesque, beautiful and powerful and compliment the picture and storylines beautifully.

The DVD picture and sound quality are excellent, especially the DTS soundtrack, and there are a wealth of worthwhile extras.

---

The DVD exists in many versions, with this Recut and Extended boxset being the best (it also contains a reproduction graphic novel) as it has both versions of the film.

But watch out, only the USA edition of the Region 1 version has DTS (for the original theatrical release) - the Canadian version, which can be spotted by it having French text on the packaging, omits DTS.

Also watch out - some USA-based Amazon sellers provide the CANADIAN version !

The Scandinavian Region 2 edition also has DTS, but has subtitle anomalies.

There are also differences regarding certain featurettes, but I think again the Region 1 version is best as it has the 'Sin-Chroni-City interactive feature', which is NOT a 'game' as described on the packaging ! This featurette is also on the Region 4 version, but that does not have DTS...

---

Having said all that, whatever version you get will have the main feature, which provides the most entertainment !
on 28 September 2005
I watched this movie, aware of both the good and bad reviews, and wary of this being another case of hype. I was hopeful, but then the pre-credit sequence started with its distracting voice-over and distracting visuals... and I thought this would be movie I would hate.
I was wrong. Once we got into the movie proper I got caught up in the story and soon not only adjusted to the visual and narrative style but began to enjoy it immensely, a feast of dark humour, cartoon violence and wild colours. By the end of the movie I was disappointed that it couldn't have gone on longer.
My favourite performances were from Mickey Rourke and Bruce Willis, but in fact everybody was pretty good. Note that I'm not a comic book fan: I don't care if a movie is based on a comic book, the movie still has to stand on its own, and this one does. But, one is always aware of the resemblance to a comic book, both in the visuals and in the dialogue - but this is not a criticism, it is part of the universe that the movie creates, that you are asked to buy into. And I'll gladly buy into it when the reward is this much fun. Nor was it a problem for me that the movie has three mostly unrelated stories: who says that a movie has to be a single story?
Sin City is quite unlike any movie I've seen before, and for that reason alone it deserves high marks.
on 20 November 2010
Already owning Sin City on DVD (theatrical cut), this was one of those 'do-I-really-need-it?' purchases. But after having bought this, I am very happy that I did.

It's hard to imagine, how greatly HD improves the amazing aesthetics of the film. The colours and sharpness are greatly enhanced.

As for the re-cut version, I concur with the people saying, that it shouldn't have been cut up like it was. Although some interesting new scenes, which help explain the nature of some characters, are added, the new cut ruins the flow of it all. As an example (and beware, a very slight SPOILER) the scene with The Salesman in the end loses all it's excitement, because it comes in the very beginning of the film, should you choose to watch all stories at once. Also, there are credits after each story, which annoys me even further.

But should you choose to buy this (and I think you should, it's absolutely amazing), I recommend first watching the theatrical cut, and then the re-cut versions, so you get the flow of it all.

As for the extra features, I think they are all great, although they are not in HD, so that's a bit poor.

A solid 5/5 from me!
on 3 October 2005
I saw this film when it came out in the cinema, with my Dad. We both came out thinking exactly the same...the film is brilliant!! The use of colour, or lack of, just makes the film beautiful rather than gruesome. Because its so violent I don't think I could have stomached it if it was in normal colour, but because its in black and white with bits of random colour you get more of an unreal feeling. The black and white makes it classy, and the true like-ness to the original comic strip is amazing! The characters and the way they move is sooo much like the comic, its extremely clever. Clive Owen who plays Dwight looks fab, and Rosario Dawson who plays Gail looks like shes been literally taken out of the comic and put on the screen. As soon as I'd seen it in the cinema I couldn't wait for it to come out on dvd and now it is, I've lost count already of how many times Ive watched it and how many friends I've shown it too whove had the same reaction as me the first time round that they watch it. This is a true film masterpiece, its shocking and it plays with your emotions...It's wicked!
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2009
From the very first scene of this film I was gripped! I watched it all the way through and then just started again.

The film is actually a series of short stories that link and twist with each other. The film splits these stories into various chunks and changes from one to the other throughout. The splitting is very logical and adds to the tension of the stories. If this is not your bag then the Blu-ray has each story separated and played through in its entirety.

The film is taken from the comic books, but with an incredible eye for detail. The sound and picture are some of the finest I have seen.

The stories are emotional, gritty, far-fetched, sometimes repulsive and shocking but very very good. The acting is good - particularly Elijah Wood who makes quite an alarming transition from a cute Hobbit to a psycopath!

This film will certainly not appeal to everyone due to the stylised nature of the direction and the very graphic scenes. But for me it is a classic which I have watched many times and will continue to do so.
VINE VOICEon 8 August 2014
A former boxer framed for murder hunts down the real killer of the love of his life. A disgraced ex cop protects a young woman from the evil son of a corrupt senator and prostitutes defend themselves from retaliation from the mob after the murder of a corrupt cop. 3 gritty hard boiled crime stories in this excellent visually stunning adaptation of Frank Miller's Sin City graphic novels. An excellent cast including Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Benicio Deltoro, Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba, Powers Booth and Elijah Wood in a role a million miles away from Lord Of The Rings star in stories set in a corrupt city. 2 different versions of the film here, the original superior cinematic edition and a very different recut version showing the stories in chronological order. If anyone says comic books and comic book movies are for kids, this is one of the movies to show them. Strictly for adults only in stunning black and white with dashes of colour thrown in.
Shot using an innovative style that really evokes the graphic novel origins, Sin City is a stylish piece of film making in which the style does not overcome the substance.

Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller have made a great job of bringing Miller's graphic novels to the screen. Rodriguez brings his trademark violence, humour and unbelievable weaponry to the film, along with a very impressive visual style that really set the bar and led the way for films such as 300. It's a fractured film, telling the stories of several characters who find themselves in Basin City, a regular den of iniquity. The individual stories are thrilling, short and sharp and link together slightly. The feeling is of adult noir - it's rooted in classic films such as Maltese Falcon, but has far more sex, violence, gore and black humour. It's entertaining, and a visual feast that aids rather than detracts from the film. 4 stars.
on 17 January 2008
The whole being greater than the sum of the parts, it was a good film. Running the risk of sounding controversial, I remain uncertain as to the benefit of the colour scheming. It worked in some places (ninja-cannibal and orange man), but not in others (luminous elastoplast).

I also find the Mickey Spillane/ Mike Hammer approach to narration and dialogue excruciating, so given that this was the style the film chose to use I had to give up watching it part-way through and come back another day when I was in a better mood.

Nevertheless, elements of the story(s) were brilliantly done; I enjoyed the silent ninja-cannibal entity, and the balances created between the characters, from the impossible-to-knock-down muscle man to Bruce Willis' ailing and vulnerable cop.

And I enjoyed the the ladies costumes, of course.

A good helping of comic book action in the new steam-punk genre.
VINE VOICEon 20 February 2010
A wonderful albeit extremely violent movie based on 4 of the stories from Frank Millers Sin city collection not for the feint of heart.

The Transfer onto Blu ray is stunning in every way and the use of black and white cinematography with touches of colour for highlighting is phenomanlly good on Blu Ray supported with a great audio track. The 2nd disc is a recut but not in the traditional sense. It actually breaks the 4 books they used in the film and makes them into episodes with end credits for each. 3 of the stories run for 45 minutes with additonal footage not used in the cinema relase to allow the stories to become more self contained. One of the stories is only 8 minutes long though.

All in all a great Movie that looks in even better on Blu Ray but as i said the level of violence is not something everyone will be able to stomach
on 17 March 2015
These movies thunder over you like a juggernaut! Fast cars, fast women, enough bullets to bring down a small country and Mickey Rourke as Marv. What more could you ask for? Well this set has more. I was drooling like Homer Simpson as I worked my way through it. Do yourself a favour and give in to temptation. You know you want to....... Welcome to Sin City!