5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Def not necessary....
Hi there!

Just a few words to those wondering if the 360 is worth buying if you don't have a high defenition telly.

Published on 28 Jan. 2007 by M. Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Very basic starter pack
Let me start by saying how amazing the games and the graphics look on this console. On my HD tv the picture is amazing...now why I give 2 stars.

Microsoft don't want you to have much fun with the core system. The only reason I bought the basic package was because I'm not a big gamer but I did want to see what all the fuss was about.

When you open the...
Published on 17 Sept. 2007 by S. Stratton

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Def not necessary...., 28 Jan. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Console Core System (Includes: Xbox 360, wired controller and composite TV connection & SCART adaptor) (Video Game)
Hi there!

The 360 works fab on any standard TV made during the last seven years or so. As long as your telly accepts a 60hz signal, you're good to go. This is pretty important as some games will not be playable in 50hz (techy and boring, but it's all to do with screen refresh rates).

If you're planning to use the 360 on a standard telly, the AV cables you get with either the core, or premium system, won't do it justice.

For best performance, you should get yourself the official microsoft scart cable, which carries and RGB (red, green, blue) signal. This will give you a gorgeous picture - the best you can get on a standard TV. Trust me, the picture still looks amazing and, although Hi-Def is better, you'll still be beaming.

If you still crave Hi-Def, you can always hook your 360 up to a computer monitor with the official VGA cable. However, I really wouldn't be too fussed if your TV is 28' inches or lower.

Thanks for the memory?

Well, if you plan to connect up to xbox live, then a hard drive is the best option, as you'll be able to upload your gamer profile and download updates for your console (they do this a lot; very handy, although game-specific updates, apart from those designed to fix bugs, usually cost "microsoft points", which you can pick up at Virgin or HMV). Xbox live is top banana - especially if you play co-op with friends!

If you're not venturing online, then a memory card will work just dandy and will save a lot of game data (achievements, settings, etc.).

Hope the above helps! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for MS Second Attempt!, 24 Jan. 2006
P. Storey (London) - See all my reviews
I have had an Xbox360 since release day. Initially I managed to get a core system through a friend but just before Christmas I got luck when I walked in Game and they had just got 1 in stock 5 mins before. I purchased this as I needed the HiDef cable (Im lucky enough to use a hidef 42" plasma) and wanted to play my old xbox games (Halo2 mainly!).

Since using the premium I have found it to freeze a lot more on xb live, especially when in a lobby area. I have found this with several games, namely PGR3, Quake 4 and Call of Duty2. As yet is hasn't froozen while playing Perfect Dark so maybe in a few updates it will be fine!

The core system should be adequate for most people and I think I actually prefer the plain white fascia of a core! If you are going to play original xbox games, want hidef and are going to store lots of info on the hard drive, fine go for a premium but if you just want to play games, have an ipod you can plug in the front for music and dont have a hidef tv then core should be ok (as previously mentioned you will need a memory card though). Also the core system controller can be used on a PC which is a bonus (quite liked having a decent controller on my PC for a change and Im going to buy another wired controller now!)

The actual console is very good but not perfect. Its not overly quiet with the fans and drive producing a fair bit of noise but once a game is loaded I have never noticed it, secondly the intial launch titles, although good are not superb. Sure the graphics are great and sound excellent but that is expected with a new console and so much power. But in all fairness how many consoles have a great lineup on launch? (People will now say Halo on Xbox and yes that was a good game but it was unexpected and unheard of). The console has lots of potential and should please most people.

The best part of the experience is XBox Live. Playing against real people in all the games brings everything to a much higher level. I dont play single player anymore as its so boring. People say quake is ok but in multiplayer its great (in many respects it outperforms Halo2 online as I suffer hardly any lag in the UK). Get a group of friends together and start up PGR3 and it takes the game to a new level (although playing against unknown people isnt as good as you end up racing with only the Ferrari F50 wheras when with friends everyone uses the same car which changes all the time is so much fun.

All in all a good console and with it being first off the mark should be well established when the PS3 is released and give it a run for its money (especially as Sony announced recently they are leaving online support down to developers which will cause problems and inconsistency) (but I would like to point out I am not loyal to any particular console and own a PSP (which I dont rate that highly), a PS2, and an original Xbox (as well as a lot older consoles!)

As an update to this review, having played the console a lot more, its true potential is slowly appearing. Only now can I say there are dedicated next gen titles that rely on the power of the console (dead rising, test drive unlimited just for starters), the original glitches I mentioned with live freezing have now been resolved and everything is working great and only getting better. Plus the upcoming exclusive next gen launches of Pro Evo and Fifa and the 360 is really setting the benchmarks that sony will find difficult to beat for originallity (I will admit I will probably at some point buy a PS3 but after owning the 360, there is no way I am going to rush out and get one as I cant see it having a perfect rival to xb live, being release with unoriginal games, and be a decent price (plus everyone stats how great the PS3 will be as it has a blue ray drive but I hate to point out that blueray has a rival and the modern betamax vhs war is only just starting!).

In conclusion now, I think the 360 has a great future as does the nintendo wii but as for the PS3, this generations Sega Saturn anyone!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant if You Get a Good One, 16 July 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Had the original XBOX, never had a PS2 so it was inevitable that I'd get a 360. I purchased mine at launch, and although I wasn't impressed with the quality of the launch games my opinion soon changed when the big guns arrived like Gears of War.

The graphics on the console are stunning, the detail as never been so intense and real. Gears of War, Call of Duty 3 and Fight Night Round 3 represent some of the best games visually and also in terms of gameplay. Obviously with the added bonus of high definition gaming it adds to detail, which offers almost surreal picture quality, although 720p is superior to 1080i simply beacause it's progressive and therefore offers smoother gameplay.

The 360 dashboard offers many feature you won't be finding on the PS3 such as connection to Windows Messenger to chat to your friends on their home computers and also built in Windows Media Center. Media Center allows you to get video, photo and sounds from all computers in your home and stream them to you TV. Above all the dashboard is very easy to use and navigate allowing you to access videos, images and music stored on the hard drive and browse files up for download on the web.

The controller differs only slightly from the original XBOX, which are larger than the PS3 ones but in my opinion it makes them more comfortable and easy to use.

I would have given the console a 5 but I've had a few technical issues with it. Not as many as other people thankfully. My system very rarely locks up but every now and again I do get the classic "Dirty Disc Error", not yet had the red ring of death (thank god)! My 360 does get roastin just like many have pointed out, and yes it's true you can pritty much fry an egg on it. My key issue has been with the DVD drive not opening when the console is stood vertically without a disc in the drive. So I have to constantely leave a disc in the drive as I don't have space to lye it flat. My other issue is how loud it tends to be, it seriously does sound like a fighter jet is taking off! The faceplates are also mass produced junk and the flaps that protect the USB and memory slots break off very easily - as I found. Microsoft did however provide a replacement.

One thing to avoid if your buying a 360 is being conned by the reduced price of the core system. Your more than likely going to purchase the extras. Infact to even save your games a memory unit is needed, which can set you back around 15 pounds. The console is nothing without the hard drive which will set you back around 70 quid. You will also lack the headset to talk to your friends if you connect up to the net and you'll have to cope with the wired controllers. Another issue is that if your buying the 360 for High Def playback then you need the component leads that come with the premium package otherwise you will also need to purchase those before you can get High Def graphics. Unless you simply just want to play a quick game and not even save it get the premium package it saves allot of money in the long run, I ended up spending around £100 more than I should have by getting the core and then upgrading later.

So to conclude, the 360 is a great console but has allot of technical issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why buy the core pack?, 4 Dec. 2005
Well I’ll tell you why. I initially ordered the premium pack for £279.99 from Amazon.co.uk because it is generally thought of as the better value pack, and it is.....depending on what type of gamer you are, but if you on a budget, maybe not, if you are reading this and have an interest in the console I’m sure you know the difference in the two packages (core and premium) and the attractions of the premium pack are aimed at gamers who already have a lavish home entertainment system (HD TV, Media Centre PC, Wireless Broadband, Xbox Live etc) and if you have that (or intend to get them) then the 360 is a great priced system and worth buying over the core pack, but me, personally, like the majority, don’t have these things and probably wont for a year or two until the prices come down, for now, like many, I have my standard PC and DSL set-up and a portable TV set in my room.
Now the items such as the HD AV cable is really only needed for a HD TV, so right out I knew I didn’t need that, the mini remote I kind of wanted because I had the Original Xbox and DVD playback kit and thought I would need one for the 360 to watch my DVD's but I did my research and found out I could use the controller to operate the DVD functions of the 360, the mini remote is there if you want it for DVD but its more aimed at using a Media Centre PC which I don’t have, so I don’t need that item either, the headset also is cool but if you don’t have or intend to take the 360 online then its pretty much useless, I am sure some games will be enabled to have voice commands set for offline gaming (Rainbow Six 3 on the Xbox for example) but I always felt kind of silly shouting out commands at my TV set (I’m sure other people in the house must have thought I was nuts). The wireless controller is a great idea and I wanted one a lot but I got to thinking how the pads lasts for 25 hours (it does warn hours before its out of power apparently) and I didn’t want to have to stop gaming and leave it charge for a while, and I know I could buy a play and charge kit and keep on going but as I said if, like me, your on a budget and you just spend nigh on £300 on a games system (and that’s before you buy any games) the last thing you want is to splash out on more expensive hardware, so it turned out that the wired pad was a selling point with me for with core pack.
Now we come to the biggest decision I had to make when choosing a package.......the hard drive, I knew I wanted, no needed this (for backwards compatibility. I decided a while back I wasn’t going to get a launch title seeing how they were nothing special, if you want my advice play the stellar Xbox games you already have and wait till spring for the real next generation games, incidentally you'll need to download an update onto your 360 hard disk from Xbox Live, if like me you don’t have Xbox Live just go to Microsoft’s homepage and download the patch, burn it to disk and pop it in the 360) to play games like Halo 2 and Half - Life 2.
When you weigh up the facts you cant deny that if you go for the core pack and buy the hard drive separate it will cost the same as the premium pack only without the free (but perhaps unnecessary) items, I knew in essence that I’m going to pay the same and get less, initially, but I thought on it and realised that if I went with the premium pack I would still want to buy the play and charge kit for the wireless controller and I knew the extra items that came in the box…..would stay in the box, the things I would actually be using I would get with either pack, I would get a 360 with a wired controller (no charging) and I would just have to get a hard drive to play my original Xbox games.
The bottom line is that your going spend 280 either way if you want to play your old games (the core pack is aimed at people who want just to play 360 games and not old ones, granted but you will still need a memory card or hard disk to save game progress), which most people will (even if you didn’t have the first Xbox the great thing with the 360 is that you can still, provided you have a hard drive, pick up the classics like Halo 1 and 2), and if you go with the premium pack your still likely to want to buy a play and charge kit, so depending on your needs you could argue that you could save money either way, if you just want a 360 for your bedroom and a normal TV go with the core pack and hard drive, you'll get value on money, if you have all the latest gear to take advantage of the 360's power, go premium, you'll get value for money.
One advantage the 360 core pack has right now is that your much more likely to get one for new years than a premium pack, only one minor regret about not getting the premium that I have, is that the premium has a chrome disk tray and the cores disk tray is just plain. Since it launched over in North America and here in Europe I have been to countless websites, forums etc and feel I know as much about the 360 as I possibly could without having it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Gen Is Here, 20 Feb. 2006
Gj Kelly (UK) - See all my reviews
Whoa this console really is a next gen machine, talk about clarity on your T.V. I have had HD for a few years and have whacked my PC through it for driving games a lot, but I never achieved the anti aliasing smoothness that the 360 produces, I am really impressed, it's a bit like when half-life 2 came out on the PC, that kinda jump in tech is what the 360 has written all over it, Of course ps3 will no doubt be just as good with the added ability to play HD DVDs, but if you want the next gen feeling right now you'll have to go with the 360, and you certainly wont be disappointed if you have a HDTV. TBH you cant really get much better graphically until they up the pixels on the HDTV’s themselves the differing specs of the next gen consoles will not be apparent, they will be as clear as the 360, but then its all about titles.
Fan noise? anything worth its salt has fan noise now adays, roll on liquid cooling across the board. You wont hear the fan once you boot a game up;)
Also has a great force feedback controller, sturdy, comfortable and great for driving. (prob will order a wireless for the neat effect)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best console known to man, 26 Feb. 2006
Mr. Pj Jones "dvdgod" (chichester west sussex) - See all my reviews
I bought mine a couple of weeks ago,already having xbox live meant i could get into multiplayer straight away.The graphics are out of this world,sure it's heavy and loud but when a console is pumping out that kind of power it has a right to be.It's not just a console by no means,it's virtually a digital media center,allowing you to connect anything from an ipod to a digital camera,and if you have a psp or phone with a usb connection you can charge em up.I cannot understand the negitive feedback that this machine is getting,it's next gen gaming at it's best.Sure the games are expensive but if you take into account every console that has come out,all thier games have been expensive.If you want pc graphics for half the price then this is the console for you.GET IT NOW!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer machine, 27 Jan. 2007
Mr. J. M. Rowley "bluebossa" (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
What a great machine - but it's more than a PS2 replacement.

I've hooked it up into my home Network, used it to stream photos from an upstairs PC and fed movies through it onto my TV from a Media Centre PC.

The downloads and X Box Live just add another layer of free stuff and the wireless controllers rock. Who needs PS3...

Oh and the gaming is pretty good too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very basic starter pack, 17 Sept. 2007
S. Stratton "stratts2000" (London) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

When you open the box it all seems very impressive. I connected my Xbox to the TV and put in a game. First I was told I cannot save any games as I need to purchase a memory card or hard drive. This is really bad, Microsoft make a console with all the latest wizzardry but can't even stick in some basic memory.

Next I wanted to connect to my HDTV but again no lead, so I have to buy one otherwise whats the point in having a TV with HD. Next I decided to connect to the internet to try out the Xbox Live system. Surprise Surprise I couldn't view any videos or download any demos because I need a Hard drive plus I need to buy points or something. Lastly if you want to play old xbox games then you will be disappointed unless you fork out for the hard drive.

To sum up I think the core system is totally useless, you may aswell go for the next package up because with all the extras you NEED to buy to have any fun you might as well pay the extra.

Microsoft are not daft, £179 is a good price but add on the first game, HDtv lead, memory card, internet lead and Hard drive and you're almost at the £300 mark.

I was blind...if I'd have known I would have given it a miss and waited for the Xbox 360 sale next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Other reviewers please GET A GRIP!, 31 May 2006
Murray "Murray79" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Let's start things off by challenging some of the brainless things said by other reviewers about games etc. This system has been available for about 6 months. It has taken most developers YEARS to get to grips with the current generation of consoles in order to make their games look amazing. If anyone out there has a PS2 library with games from 2001 and games from 2006 then you can see the difference. I agree that at the moment most of the games on the 360 don't look quite as good as they could, but give it time - these titles will look amazing. It's already happening with games like GRAW and Hitman - Bloodmoney. They look great - and there's potential for more!

Also, there seems to be some general Microsoft bashing going on for the sake of it! I'm no great fan of the monopoly of MS but let's get this straight - they have hit the mark with the 360. The fact that Sony are, basically, ripping off the Xbox Live system for the (vastly overpriced) PS3 tells you everything you need to know about the 360's real attraction - online play! It's online where the 360 really grabs you and WONT let go! The joy of playing someone from across the other side of the planet at Quake 4 or EA Fight Night is emmense!

Overall, let me please beg you to ignore the idiots on here who probably haven't touched a 360, let alone own one to review. Yes there have been minor glitches, yes there is a way to go with the graphical quality of the games - but this system really is amazing. Oh, one last point, it might be worth holding off till nearer Xmas if you are thinking of getting one. Sony release the PS3 in Nov, and you can bet your house that Microsoft will respond with a fairly big price drop for the 360.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for Premium, 19 Feb. 2007
D. Cadman "Gaming Expert" (England) - See all my reviews
[...]
The Premium XBox 360 console is much more value for money than the Core system.
The wireless controller is brilliant (not annoying) and the re-charge kit which can be purchased separetly is definitely worth buying, as you will never need batteries for your wireless controller again.
With the wireless controller you can walk around your house without the hassle of the cord being pulled out of your console or getting caught etc.

The hard drive you will need as you will play a lot of games on the XBox 360 as it is overally addictive, 64mb is not a lot.

Plus with the Premium you get your headset for online play on XBox Live so you can communicate over XBox Live while playing games or talk to pople in chat, this being another thing you won't hav to fork out for.

As for the ethernet cable being long I don't know how you can fault that, it came in massive use for me when I used it to run from my downstairs modem to my upstairs bedroom.
Microsoft providing a long ethernet cable was very generous, as other companies tend to only give you about a metre.

Overall, if you are debating whether to get the Core XBox 360 or the Premium then I would recommend the Premium.