on 7 June 2006
King Tubby pioneered dub reggae and so left his mark on much of today's music.

There's hundreds of King Tubby CDs out there, some of them very dodgy packages featuring tired rythmns that somebody once waved in the general direction of Tubbs. A lot of them have been nowhere near King Tubby's mixing skills. This one is different.

There's a vast selection of tracks from some of his best known work such as "Roots of Dub" and "Meets the Upsetter at the Grass Roots of Dub". Much of this is King Tubby in his prime.

Fans will already have much if this elsewhere, but there are a few gems that were new to me. For newcomers to dub, this is probably the best possible introduction. Bargain priced, over 3 hours of music, good mastering and some damn hot rythmns.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2009
Noticed that Crucial Dub is in the Frequently bought together bit, it's actually one of the three CDs in Father Of Dub.
on 2 July 2009
Gibby's Ghost has summed this up so well that I have little to say other than I agree.What is nice about this set is the riddims covered span from the early rockers years (Aggrovators,Revolutionaries etc.) right through to the massive influence Tubby had on developing the early reggae dance hall sound (Radics).The bargain price for 3 Cds makes this an essential purchase for anyone first tasting dub reggae.Just play and try to remember which dub came from what original riddim. You might want to consider checking out some Johhny Clark,Gladiators,Cornell Campell,Dillinger, U-Roy and John Holt to give yourself a nice set of roots reggae that you can mix up inna yah own dance!It's a criminal shame that Tubby never lived to see the revival in his music which I predict will only get better.I have converted my 20 year old son to the riddims.True roots reggae music live on!
on 22 January 2012
I love these CDs.
I bought them as the price was good and King Tubby is always consistently good. However I was surprised how good it was on listening.
No bad tracks but Hijack the Barber, Roots of Dub and Sinsemelia Dub are fabulous.
Note that the actual CDs are:
1. Crucial Dub
2. Dub Fever
3. Declaration of Dub
If I knew how good they were I would happily have paid much more!
P.S.The tracklisting is awry on Dub Fever, but at this price I'm not complaining!
on 18 September 2011
First heard this being played in a shop I was browsing in in Freeport at Braintree Essex. Stayed in the shop longer than I needed to just to hear the next track before I finally asked the assistant what it was and then rushed home and bought it on Amazon, which was the cheapest place to purchase it! Have had it in the car ever since. At 54 years of age, I think I surprised the wife with my enjoyment of it!
Great value collection of a big range of work from this visionary record producer who specialised in the art of Dub, the reverbed hihats and highly echo chambered sub-terranean bass all burbling along at an intestinal level.

Great music, great producer, great value. Get it!
on 14 September 2010
Father of Dub

Outstanding dub music, if you're new to this sound then this is a great intro ....
on 30 October 2009
I've heard bits of King Tubby's stuff down the years, but thought it might be intimidating to listen to three albums straight , one after the other, and straight indeed, none of the ol' international 'erb. Reason I'm saying that is that it was good on solid air, so its a black star liner for high times. Keeps the interest the whole time , without being intrusive. Got a light mood, nothing vibey that isn't good vibes.
If you like the dub and haven't got it got to get it, all in your own time.
Three great CD tributes to the man whose influence pervades reggae, ska and the best punk and jive.
on 30 July 2014
Loved this in the 70s glad to have it back now, lovely original Dub from the King.
on 3 January 2016
Bought for a gift for my brother and he loves it!