Format: DVD|Change

on 8 October 2006
It would be unfair to judge this DVD too harshly just because it's not what I expected. If you purchased a CD entitled 'The Best of Eric Clapton' or 'The Best of Pink Floyd', you'd expect to get a fine selection of their best songs - whole songs, probably from a variety of concerts. That was the sort of thing I was hoping for from this DVD: a simple collection of the best performances spliced seamlessly together in sequence to give the impression of a pleasingly coherent whole. There are a few sections where we're treated to a whole dance and I enjoyed those very much. However, an unbelievable amount of savage butchery was carried out on too many of the dances, making them seem terribly disjointed. In these sections we see a few seconds of a group dancing on say, a brightly lit stage wearing green dresses in one country, then it suddenly changes to a group performing a different dance (or possibly a different part of the same dance) to the same music, wearing red dresses on a darkly lit stage in another country, then it quickly changes again, and so on. This is so horribly disorientating that I stopped watching until the dance finished and the next nice, smooth, unmangled dance was shown. And in addition to this awful jerky presentation, the dances and songs were interspersed with sections where a lady stands or walks about talking to the camera, explaining what the next bit will be about. I wish they'd included a printed programme in the DVD box instead of subjecting us to these constant annoying interruptions. If only I'd known what to expect, I might have enjoyed it more. It's almost like buying what you expect to be a concert and discovering when you get it home that you've accidentally bought a documentary about the concert instead. There's enough on this DVD to make me want more than ever to see an entire, unmutilated and uninterrupted performance of Riverdance. Most of the parts that the editing hackers left unscathed are truly wonderful. So my recommendation to anyone wishing to buy a DVD of Riverdance is, try to get a version that's unadulterated and entire. I see that there are other DVD versions of Riverdance for sale here at Amazon. But if you want a documentary and a montage of Riverdance, this DVD will probably suit you well enough.
11 comment|190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2007
The backgrounds, colouring & imagery are lovely and the dances impressive and sparkling.

But I find it necessary to emphasize the mixing/editing as others have done. Some of the numbers contain video from 3 different shows. Therefore (as mentioned) sometimes the colour of the dancers' clothes very noticably changes between red and green whenever the camera view changes, for instance. Of course the lead dancers also often magically change within these numbers.

The music is excellent and runs smoothly. However this means that the music comes only from one show at a time. While the editors have done a very good job, occasionally you notice that the video from one or two of the other shows isn't quite in sync with the music. If the show didn't contain tap dancing, I might not have noticed - unfortunate.

I think Riverdance is excellent and there were several numbers I hadn't seen earlier, but I'd rather have the Live from New York version, which I expect to give 5 stars. Make sure you get the version you want.
on 12 May 2007
Unfortunateley this DVD ruined Riverdance for me. I eagerly bought it but, rather than showing the best performance of each itemn, I was presented with edits of three different performances, chopping and changing in mid item with no continuity. I'll just have to hope that the original, which I have on video, is released on DVD (seems a forlorn hope now), or buy the New York show.
on 2 December 2005
Although I enjoyed most of this DVD - as I enjoyed the show - I was disappointed to see that some of the dances had been edited almost to death. Riverdance itself exists as a heavily-edited version of the Eurovision performance; and then as a collection of two- or three-second snippets clumsily edited together to avoid showing the same two lead dancers.
This is like playing a piece of music with two or three second bits from various performances spliced together i.e. a massive disappointment.
on 17 January 2006
I was surprised how much this dvd focused on spanish dance, tap and singing considering the show is call RIVER "DANCE". In fact not much irish dancing at all and each scene swaps from show to show to show and does get pretty tedious after a while and you don't actually get to see an entire dance set at all. You have to endure the large proportion of singing and playing of intruments which is ideal if you wanted a documentary on the show. To call this the best of River "DANCE" is Shameful to say the least. IN fact the only good thing about this DVD is the Tap Dancer scene which is amazing and the first time I had ever seen it. If you want to see Irish Dancing in it's glory buy Lord of the Dance or Feet of Flames they are amazing and a complete credit to Micheal Flatley and his team who have worked really hard to produce shows of absolute brilliance which will be hard to beat. Maybe I have been spoilt !!!
on 11 September 2011
I bought this dvd for my mother who loves Michael Flatley. The dvd is excellent but unfortunately there are hardly any sequences with the man himself. If you just like Irish dancing and Riverdance this is excellent but if you want Michael Flatley in particular you need to by something else.
on 28 December 2009
Here's Michael Flatley and his Riverdance team doing their magnificent interpretations of the traditional (and not so traditional) Irish Jig. It's really fantastic what they can do with their feet, and the steps in complete unison in group form are unbelieveable.
on 9 April 2009
A little disappointing in that it consists of several performances cut together rather than one set of "stars". The "Behind the Scenes" Extra was dreadful and not worth including.
on 2 April 2011
This is a classical example of editing vandalism. If you love Riverdance (as I do) then DON'T buy this version, it will only raise your blood pressure and leave your eyes spinning. The editor went berserk with his/her scissors and thought it would be clever to collect all the Riverdance clips that could be found, throw them into a large pot, stir a few times and serve. The result is a confusing kaleidoscope that leaves the viewer bewildered and dizzy. The lovely Jean Butler dance over to the equally lovely Michael Flatley and when they meet not only has she had a complete costume change she's also had a face-lift (no she hasn't, she's changed into another woman!) The women step forward dressed in green then dance back again dressed in red.
All continuity and flow of the Dance is trampled underfoot. I don't know who the Editor was trying to impress, perhaps him/herself, certainly not me.
on 12 July 2010
This is a great compilation of Riverdance performances and is a 'must have' item for lovers of the genre