5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet
I've been a casual fan of GLC since I heard 'Guns Don't Kill People..' off the first album. Pure genius but it sounded like they recorded it and everything since then on someone's broken 4 track. Really bad production and levels.
This album changes all that.
Published on 21 Sept. 2005 by Afrosheen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gags - shame about the gags
I love the GLC. Greatest Hits still cracks me up every time I listen to it, and makes me proud to live in the country next to Wales, but Safe as F***? I'm not quite convinced.

Published on 20 May 2006 by William Burn

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 21 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
This album changes all that.
It almost seems like these clarts decided to stop monkeying around and get more serious at least from the production side. Lyrics are still classic GLC, plenty of stuff to remember and laugh about. The rapping is on time and so clean now, it's almost like a different, turbocharged, racing-striped GLC.
Most people outside of the UK may not know the GLC and they're really missing out. I'm in the US and will continue to love the GLC and the draw until one of them ends.

5.0 out of 5 stars F*****g Safe as F***, 8 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
Having shot to fame in 2004 with 'Guns Don't Kill People Rappers Do', the Newport rap Octet rounded off 2005 with what is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of last year. Some may scoff, but I value music as an entertainment medium and out of pretty much every album that I bought last year, this one entertained me the most.
More refined than their first commercial release 'Greatest Hits', 'Safe as F***' is a perfect blend of interesting production, street lyricism (and cynicism) and straight up p***-taking. Whilst it's safe to say that you have to be of a certain frame of mind to enjoy most of the humour, there is still something here to make pretty much anyone smile.
As a parody of the current dastardly Chav movement, the GLCs choice of subject matter to stretch over the 12 songs is inspired; whether discussing dodgy girlfriends, the compensation culture or the dangers of certain GM 'crops', each member has something interesting and downright hilarious to say. Favourite tracks on the album include 'Bad Boy Limp', 'HRT', 'Hit Song' and 'Short Term' and whilst I don't quite feel the same about 'Maggot at Midnight' or 'Monkey Love', I don't think there is anything that could be labelled a 'bad track' on the album - which is a feat in itself.
Out of all of the members, I think Adam Hussein shines the most on this CD, as although he isn't the best emcee, his combination of puerile anecdotes and hilarious punchlines had me laughing out loud on several occasions. For example, on the track 'Short Term', which discusses the dangers of 'herb'-related memory loss, he states "Should I give up weed/maybe I outta/F*** that spar/send me up another quarter"
Overall, this is a great album. I've listened to it countless dozens of times and it still makes me laugh, so if you liked the GLCs previous endeavour 'Greatest Hits', you'll love this, clat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great gags - shame about the gags, 20 May 2006
William Burn "gingerburn" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)

Not that there's anything wrong with the album: it's an absolute belter. Every track is sharp, funny and pokes fun at some or other self-satisfied conceit of chart music, but the problem lies elsewhere. And that problem is Greatest Hits. The most disappointing thing about this disc is that the gag is essentially the same as last time, and no matter how clever the rhymes are, the fundamental knowingly-innocent premise of the band's success is identical to the earlier CD.

So where do the GLC go from here? Who knows. Probably a day trip to Caerphilly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe as f**k!, 22 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
The second album by the Newport octet, and this one shows how the "Beastie Boyos" have developed their talent.
Once again, the Maggot is the delight of the album with his dedicated track "Maggot at Midnight", and songs "R n B" and "Hit Song" are sure to be singles in the near future.
You are sure to laugh and cringe at the witty lyrics. Also includes Grange Hill (Adam's Charmschool) and Aled Jones (Paranoid) parodies.
One of the albums of the year. You knows it clarts!

5.0 out of 5 stars UK rap album of the year!!, 5 Oct. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
The glc hit the mark again with new album, 'Safe As F*ck'. The critics are giving them a pasting now, but they're much more than a one-trick pony and pull off some really solid raps, especially on 'Bad Boy Limp', 'Hit Song' and 'HRT'. The 'Walking In The Air' rip off on 'Paranoia' is one of the funniest things I've heard since...well since their first album! But despite the humour, it's a fairly serious and dark subject. And 'Sister' is a track that I think a lot of people can relate to...
What I think's great is that they seem determined to up their skills as rappers, and they could easily do a 100% serious record if they wanted. Who knows, they might do that one day. But now they rule at what they do.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Know's it!, 5 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
I saw GLC at V festival this year and they performed a taster of 4/5 tracks from the new album and I will definatly be buying this on its release.
If you have never heard any of their work (masterpieces) before then you should have a listen, its not to everyones taste, but if you like catchy tunes with great lyrics and you have a good scense of humor then pick this up!! If you have their old album then you will love this!
Sister, Charmschool (remixing the old grange hill soundtrack) and You're misses is a nutter are all superb tracks and defaintly on par with the hits from there 1st album.
Their lyrics are pure genius and each of there songs tells a story which in some way shape or form everyone can relate to (well apart from 'You're Misses is a nutter' I hope!!).
Another smash hit album from the GLC. Get it Boyo - TIDY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Have you heard the first Goldie Lookin' Chain album? Then you've heard this, 29 Jun. 2007
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
Just with different words. Some people are one trick pony's. But to be fair, what a trick. If they're not careful though it will wear thinner than Kate Moss on a Cocaine Diet.

So what is Safe As F**k? First, big ups them not opting for calling it "Safe as Fcuk", but also, it's really nothing new. Whilst they're surfing a tepid wave of determindedly retro and vapid beats, if you listen to it for the music, you really are a cause more lost than a bunch of cutout stereotypes stranded on a desert island. And nothing is taboo - they think the unthinkable, say the unsayable, and rap the unrappable. Especially on "Sister" : `if you leave me now, can I f**k your sister - and your best friend?' which must be a thought that has passed the mind of everyone with a penis.

"Safe as F**k" is without doubt, a joke album. But who is the joke on? For me, I'm laughing at and with them. Their particular brand of chav-stoner-pop is without doubt crass, juvenile, and utterly vicious : in the style of a burlesque rap group, who else has manged to produce a convincing, yet merciless pastiche of a genre? The Darkness, possibly. Born out of both a deep love for - and a deep loathing - of the original genre, "Safe As F**k" lacks anything as immediate or as concise as "Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do", yet manages to steamroller that Difficult Second Album Syndrome like KITT on the warpath.

However when it does strike, and normally there's a couple of killer songs on any album, it's better than Alanis Morrisette's entire career. And "Hit Song" is da Bomb. Like an Eminem song covered by the Binatone Orchestra, "Hit Song" utterly destroys entire genres of generic, characterless pop with a lyric that describes the brand of Pop Herpes that you can find in any fast food joint, taxi, disco, shop, and spewing forth everywhere. It's the type of song that should be the National Friday Night Kebab Anthem.

Safe as F**k isn't a conventional pop album, but some kind of weird, bitter deconstruction of a barren and popular culture with beats. Think of less as a pop album, more as a bitter diatribe against the lowrent aspirations and achievements of a bankrupt culture that permates the Red Tops and the weekly gossip magazines. You knows it. Clart.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Monkey!, 17 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
The GLC have done it again. This album is not only a shining example of British urban culture, but full of laughs as the GLC poke fun at the hand that feeds them. Bad Boy Limp will soon be used in adverts for Claims Direct. RnB and Hit Song are exactly what so many of us are thinking when yet another same-old-sound song features on MTV. HRT and Monkey Love will make you fall over with laughter. Listen to the backing vocals and I dare you to not enjoy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it (with one exception) despite not being a "rapper"...., 7 Jan. 2013
A B "FatAndy" (Colwyn Bay, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
I'm not by nature a rap fan but I find this CD both funny and inventive and it's pretty much guaranteed to raise a chuckle or two, assuming you've got a pulse that is. My personal favourite is "Sister" (which I'm never going to able to play when the wife is around!) while "HRT" and "Monkey Love" always make me laugh, albeit due to some pretty childish and puerile lyrics. The one disappointment for me is "Maggot At Midnight" on which the lyrics are drowned out by the rather annoying backing track but otherwise it all works well enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Goldie, 21 Feb. 2010
Mr. Peter J. Wade "PJW" (Newton Abbot) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Safe As F*** (Audio CD)
Having bought the "Greatest Hits" CD a few years ago and thought it very funny and clever with it I have meaning to get the next CD for ages. Having bought it my first thoughts were that it was not as good, not as varied as the "Greatest Hits". As always thyere are clever lyrics with that oddball Newport rapping style, but more off the tracks will need time to grow on me, as they will.

Safe As F***
Safe As F*** by Goldie Lookin Chain (Audio CD - 2005)