Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Learn more

on 20 February 2006
I have been running tom tom mobile 5 on my nokia N70 for about two weeks now. So far it runs really well. The downside is that I feel a bit overcharged as the RS-MMC card is only a 128mb(for UK) so I have had to buy a card reader to transfer the software plus the my photos etc. also there are new updates which come out about every 6 month. Traffic and weather reports require your phone to be connected to the web so check the tariff of your network provider to avoid nasty bills.
Speed cameras databases can also be purchased online and again a card reader is needed to transfer these as POI's or points of interest. Other POI's can be downloaded such as petrol stations, beefeater restaurants, etc.. Other features include being able to download voices, John Clease is avaiable from the tom tom website at a heafty cost , not wanting to miss an opertunity to cash in. Although there are some others for free.
If you are wondering, yes you can still make and receive phone calls whilest using the software to navigate. I would advise first time buyers to check the ttm5 web site forum at pocketgpsworld.co.uk to find out more and for downloads and info. This web link is also avaiable from the tom tom web site also.
on 26 October 2005
I did have my doubts - would the screen be big enough (I've a Nokia 6630), would it run OK, would it be a scaled down version of the bulky Tomtom GO?
But I am truly amazed. It's not similar, but exactly the same as the Tomtom Go for just over half the price. It comes with a tomtom bluetooth GPS receiver, which is the size of packet of matches and can be tucked away in your pocket or your bag.
Sticking it in my car on a mount, the graphics are perfectly clear (although you might have trouble with the detailed info like average speed), and it gives loud voice directions anyway.
The software is amazingly quick- it works out a route to pretty much anywhere in about 5 secs
And the maps seem to be accurate too. Only had it a couple of days and it does a tremendous job of finding alternative routes when you're stuck in a traffic jam.
I've used it on my bike too (turn off the sound though!), and although it's not got all the cycle routes in, it works a treat for cycling through London roads.
All in all, absolutely no complaints whatsover, and has given me a reason for having a smartphone.
on 6 January 2006
Absolutely perfect! I have a Nokia 6600 and it was pretty much as easy as putting in the MMC memory card and away you go.
In certain areas the GPS reciever can be quite slow in picking up a signal, but once connected it rarely drops out.
Clear voice commands. I did think the screen would be too small but it's very clear and still has the same zoom functions as the other TomTom products.
The only slight downside I have found is that it sometimes forgets the activation details, so you have to enter them again. But a minor glitch, I'd rather spend a couple of minutes doing that than getting lost !
It's an exceptionally reasonable price as well if you compare it to the TomTom Go models for example. you still get all the functions of your mobile phone, which is a lot more compact and easy to carry than the bulky Go units.
A must if you're looking for a handheld GPS solution and already own a compatible smartphone.
on 23 February 2006
I have being using tom tom (ttm5)on my Nokia N70 and it runs smooth and quickly. I had no problems installing the sofware onto my phone nor running it. I can make and receive phone calls whilest it is running.
The problems I have had is with the pricing, tom tom charge for everything. For example you get a month free traffic but have to pay for the rest of the time you use it,and also pay your network provider for the data transfered. The RS-MMC card issued is a measly 128mb for the uk so you will need to buy a bigger card for your photos , if not then after a few tom tom updates you will be forced to. After spending, am I being greedy expecting a bigger card? Updates can only be installed using a card reader, so shop around and make sure they read the correct card.
It doesn't end there with the profiteering, the speed camera database which I think should perhaps already be included will set you back to in the uk (valid for 1 year i think)but cheaper in other parts of the EU. Other things such as having John Clease's voice to give directions will set you back, there are some voices for free though.
Other free downloads include points of interest or POI's, they are things like shops, garages, beefeaters, cinemas, and the uk network chain of these can be added easily into your phone and are widely avalible.
on 18 November 2005
Very clever, detailed mapping, even to small lanes in Cornwall. Easily get from A to B and never get lost again. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Check your mobile compatibility first though!!
on 10 September 2006
I use this with the Nokia 6680. It's greatest advantage is its portabilty and you can walk, cycle or drive with it.

The menus are clear and easy to navigate despite the size of the screen.

Comes highly recommended though you will have to buy a larger RS-MMC (1 GB ideally).
on 22 May 2006
I WAS VERY IMPRESSED AT THE EASE OF INSTALLATION - JUST PLUG IN THE MMC AND THE PROGRAM WAS ACTIVATED EMEDIATELY, WITHIN FIVE MINUTES IT WAS UP AND RUNNING.

VERY GOOD VALUE
on 16 April 2006
Be warned- the item being sold is only compatible with Nokia phones, I bought it for a Sony Ericsson, and it does not work! You can get a Sony version.