1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars more stunning tales..., 13 May 2007
This review is from: Zatoichi 1: TV Series [DVD] [1974] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
This review is written for the benefit of those who have seen and loved the Shintaro Katsu films. I will be pasting this review on each of the five tv dvd sets I've viewed,since my comments apply equally to each set

The tv series dvds each come with two discs,containing about 4 episodes -except vol. 1 which has 5. Each episode lasts about 1 hour.So they are good value.

I was worried -before seeing them - that the 4:3 aspect ratio would have a detrimental effect. I paricularly like the 2.35:1 aspect ratio in films, and of course the Zatoichi movies are all filmed in that format. BUT,to my surprise,I never noticed this change in any negative way whatsoever

The next important-and reassuring- point to make is that the casting, the sets,cinematography and story of these episodes is every bit as good as the movies.In a nutshell then, these tv episodes are just 'slightly shorter Zatoichi films in a tv aspect ratio'

Any negatives? Print quality is very nearly,not quite as perfect as the films, but once into the story,I simply did not notice. ~The stories do,however, repeat several scenarios from the films. This may annoy some,but since Zatoichi is such an archetype,and since the films also repeat themes, I have to say it did not bother me in the least!

In summary then-I have loved every single episode of these tv series dvds, and will buy as many as are made. This is a 100% recommendation!