Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

on 2 April 2006
Being a young child of the '70's, the name Mr. Benn evokes memories of stiff-legged animation, the voice of the great Ray Brooks, an unmistakable theme tune, a variety of costumes and not forgetting the magical double act of Mr. Benn and the Shopkeeper. This no-frills DVD release delivers what is says on the case - all the episodes of this classic part of my childhood.
The quality of the DVD is excellent; the picture is sharp and the sound is excellent. Unlike a number of childhood programmes, Mr. Benn is just as good as I remember it to be - a charming series of moral-based stories which grab the attention. The DVD has the extra of an extra story of our hero as a gladiator. The new episode is successful in retaining the feel of the original stories and, hopefully, more stories are in the pipeline. The only gripe about the DVD is that there are no extras - a 'Making Of...' documentary would have been more than welcome. However, it is certainly a long-awaited release and a welcome addition to my DVD collection. Highly recommended!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2005
About time too!
The vhs collections have long been deleted and as such fetched very high prices on a certain popular auction website.
Now you can get all the televised episodes of Mr Benn on a no-frills dvd plus one new episode which apart from newly recorded music could easily have been from the original series.
Kids will love Mr Benn, his adventures involve pirates, dinosaurs, sea monsters, spacemen - great marketing(!) but i'd imagine this DVD will appeal just as much to people who loved watching this series when they were young, me for instance!
By the way, don't expect any trailers, making of documentaries, or biographies on this dvd, all you get is is every episode of Mr Benn from the 70s plus Mr Benn - Gladiator, the new story - that's it.
What more do you want?
on 14 November 2006
As soon as I heard that this had been released it brought memories of childhood flooding back to me. As one of my favourites growing up, I simply had to have it. Compared with modern animation it has a lot to live up to, but the stories and the imagination involved are just fantastic. Definitely one to have in the collection. The best thing is that because they are such short episodes you can watch it whenever, squeeze it in when you have a few spare minutes.
on 5 March 2006
The animation is beautifully uncluttered (and often subtler than first appears), the stories neat, humorous and with a quiet moral, and the music - perhaps because of the presence of Kenny Wheeler in the band - often has echoes of Miles Davis, especially Sketches of Spain. Who could ask for anything more?
on 30 January 2007
For me, watching Mr. Benn was a trip down memory lane. For my wife and kids, however, this was a brand new experience because we live in America and they've never seen Mr. Benn before. The result? They loved it! I mean, really loved it! My kids saw it once and haven't stopped asking for it since. And my wife, who could be forgiven for not sharing my enthusiasm, says it's already one of her favourites. Add to that the fact that the menus and picture quality are far better than I was expecting and you've got the best kids' DVD £5 can buy!
on 18 July 2006
Our oldest (almost 3 years) loves Mr Benn! She is re-enacting his adventures pretending to be a pirate or a dinosaur and loves it.

It is nostalgic watching all those episodes again, it amazes me how much I still remembered.

This is a no-frill Mr Benn DVD, all episodes ever made, no extras, but who needs them anyway?
on 15 October 2005
Mr. Benn is a true king of preschool entertainment!!! His wonderful and highly imagintive adventures make my imagination whizz, and Roald Dahl also whizzes my imagination with tremendous ideas for my Minni-Stories, but anyhow Mr. Benn used to make me laugh out loud when I was a young toddler because of his theme tune of the show, and with the hilarous chracters! And because of this line; 'And as if my by magic, the shopkepper appered!' When I watch this DVD Box Set it feels like I'm walking back down Memory Lane, when I was a toddler, so this DVD Box Set for any Mr. Benn fan! (Such as my mum!)
From a giant Roald Dahl fan,
Max William James Keogh
12 years old.
on 14 November 2008
I bought this DVD for my young son when he was two years old, with a degree of nostalgia in mind. I would not have anticipated quite what a hit it has been. The gentle, moral tales have captivated him to an amazing degree. We must have been watching these for a year now and he doesn't tire of them at all. The animation of the pictures is very simple but effective, the music is just wonderful. Unlike some other DVDs I've bought (Trumpton, Clangers) this one has lasted the test of time wonderfully - my only complaint is that the new Gladiator tale jars slightly image wise and leaves utterly unexplained how Mr Benn is supposed to know Basher in the first place!!
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2006
I was concerned that Mr Benn might not appeal as much to my children, 6 and 4, as it does to nostalgic adults. Clearly, this is not Toy Story, it's not Shrek, and it's in a completely different universe from the Incredibles. However, I'm pleased to say that they loved it. I think that the charm of the series is its simplicity, and that the stories are very like simple childhood games. I do not expect to find my children "playing Mr Benn", as they have been recently "playing Narnia." They've been playing this sort of story all along.
on 2 September 2010
My 2 year old loves this dvd. The first story is about a knight and a dragon and it completely captivated him. I recommend this to anyone who wants to entertain their children with tv that isn't fast and furious with young over-excited presenters doing what tv executives think children like. The pace of Mr Benn is just right and takes the viewer through a number of gentle adventures based upon the costume Mr Benn tries on in the fancy dress shop. This is a popular dvd for chilling out at the end of busy day before bed time, when my little one likes to let it wash over him as he gets lost in the fantasy world of Mr Benn and when, lets face it, I don't want him to be stirred up into a frenzy by over energised tv. It has also made its way into his imaginative play, which is lovely to see. I would recommend this to anyone with small children, whether it is part their own childhood or not.