5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia
Published on 2 April 2006 by Jivespin

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for grandchildren
My children loved this but the grandchildren do not take to, what seems to them, old fashioned, stilted presentation and will not watch it for more than a few moments. They are used to slick, in your face type graphic cartoons and this is too gentle and slow even for the two year old. It is a shame but the current style of children's programmes and advertisements have a...
Published 8 months ago by toots

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia, 2 April 2006
Jivespin (Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Being a young child of the '70's, the name Mr. Benn evokes memories of stiff-legged animation, the voice of the great Ray Brooks, an unmistakable theme tune, a variety of costumes and not forgetting the magical double act of Mr. Benn and the Shopkeeper. This no-frills DVD release delivers what is says on the case - all the episodes of this classic part of my childhood.
The quality of the DVD is excellent; the picture is sharp and the sound is excellent. Unlike a number of childhood programmes, Mr. Benn is just as good as I remember it to be - a charming series of moral-based stories which grab the attention. The DVD has the extra of an extra story of our hero as a gladiator. The new episode is successful in retaining the feel of the original stories and, hopefully, more stories are in the pipeline. The only gripe about the DVD is that there are no extras - a 'Making Of...' documentary would have been more than welcome. However, it is certainly a long-awaited release and a welcome addition to my DVD collection. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever pieces of children's TV, 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Mr Benn is easily one of my favourite children's programmes, short and simple but also magical and truly unforgettable. I never realised that only 14 episodes were made though, maybe it is because time goes a lot slower as a child, that and the fact that by the time an episode was repeated, I must have thought it was a brand new episode but anyway, quality will always be more important than quantity plus it is proof that Mr Benn has great replay value.

Another great thing about Mr Benn is that every episode is almost identical up until the point where he changes into the costume and so I could watch any episode randomly and never be quite sure which costume it was going to be, very clever. AN ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL CHILDREN'S TV CLASSIC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens classic, 15 Oct 2005
By A Customer
About time too!
The vhs collections have long been deleted and as such fetched very high prices on a certain popular auction website.
Now you can get all the televised episodes of Mr Benn on a no-frills dvd plus one new episode which apart from newly recorded music could easily have been from the original series.
Kids will love Mr Benn, his adventures involve pirates, dinosaurs, sea monsters, spacemen - great marketing(!) but i'd imagine this DVD will appeal just as much to people who loved watching this series when they were young, me for instance!
By the way, don't expect any trailers, making of documentaries, or biographies on this dvd, all you get is is every episode of Mr Benn from the 70s plus Mr Benn - Gladiator, the new story - that's it.
What more do you want?
Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 5 Mar 2006
Em (ST NEOTS, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
The animation is beautifully uncluttered (and often subtler than first appears), the stories neat, humorous and with a quiet moral, and the music - perhaps because of the presence of Kenny Wheeler in the band - often has echoes of Miles Davis, especially Sketches of Spain. Who could ask for anything more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at it's best, 14 Nov 2006
Louise (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
As soon as I heard that this had been released it brought memories of childhood flooding back to me. As one of my favourites growing up, I simply had to have it. Compared with modern animation it has a lot to live up to, but the stories and the imagination involved are just fantastic. Definitely one to have in the collection. The best thing is that because they are such short episodes you can watch it whenever, squeeze it in when you have a few spare minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant hit!, 30 Jan 2007
G. Fry (Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
For me, watching Mr. Benn was a trip down memory lane. For my wife and kids, however, this was a brand new experience because we live in America and they've never seen Mr. Benn before. The result? They loved it! I mean, really loved it! My kids saw it once and haven't stopped asking for it since. And my wife, who could be forgiven for not sharing my enthusiasm, says it's already one of her favourites. Add to that the fact that the menus and picture quality are far better than I was expecting and you've got the best kids' DVD 5 can buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Classic - And kids still love it, 18 July 2006
T Collins (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Our oldest (almost 3 years) loves Mr Benn! She is re-enacting his adventures pretending to be a pirate or a dinosaur and loves it.

It is nostalgic watching all those episodes again, it amazes me how much I still remembered.

This is a no-frill Mr Benn DVD, all episodes ever made, no extras, but who needs them anyway?

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm walking back down Memory Lane!, 15 Oct 2005
Max (England, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Mr. Benn is a true king of preschool entertainment!!! His wonderful and highly imagintive adventures make my imagination whizz, and Roald Dahl also whizzes my imagination with tremendous ideas for my Minni-Stories, but anyhow Mr. Benn used to make me laugh out loud when I was a young toddler because of his theme tune of the show, and with the hilarous chracters! And because of this line; 'And as if my by magic, the shopkepper appered!' When I watch this DVD Box Set it feels like I'm walking back down Memory Lane, when I was a toddler, so this DVD Box Set for any Mr. Benn fan! (Such as my mum!)
From a giant Roald Dahl fan,
Max William James Keogh
12 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good now as it was then...., 14 Nov 2008
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD for my young son when he was two years old, with a degree of nostalgia in mind. I would not have anticipated quite what a hit it has been. The gentle, moral tales have captivated him to an amazing degree. We must have been watching these for a year now and he doesn't tire of them at all. The animation of the pictures is very simple but effective, the music is just wonderful. Unlike some other DVDs I've bought (Trumpton, Clangers) this one has lasted the test of time wonderfully - my only complaint is that the new Gladiator tale jars slightly image wise and leaves utterly unexplained how Mr Benn is supposed to know Basher in the first place!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still has appeal to children, 26 Jan 2006
John Ault (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I was concerned that Mr Benn might not appeal as much to my children, 6 and 4, as it does to nostalgic adults. Clearly, this is not Toy Story, it's not Shrek, and it's in a completely different universe from the Incredibles. However, I'm pleased to say that they loved it. I think that the charm of the series is its simplicity, and that the stories are very like simple childhood games. I do not expect to find my children "playing Mr Benn", as they have been recently "playing Narnia." They've been playing this sort of story all along.

Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD]
Mr Benn: The Complete Series [DVD] by Mr Benn (DVD - 2005)
10.00