5.0 out of 5 stars All you need for gym-based heart monitoring
This review was amended in January 2013 order to make clear the distinction between the Polar T31 transmitter and the separately available Polar wristband displays.

The T31 is the standard Polar chest band heart rate transmitter. It is also available in a package with Polar wrist band heart rate displays such as the Polar F4, F6, F7 etc.

If you work...
Published on 3 Aug. 2009 by John Jamieson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very bad show and environmentally sinful
Having opened the previous one that had failed after many years of use, I opened it and found the device to be powered by a standard CR 25 battery. The device is cynically designed to make changing that battery almost impossible. Very bad show and environmentally sinful. There should be some means of legally forcing manufacturers to provide for replacement of service...
Published 26 days ago by Johnny

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need for gym-based heart monitoring, 3 Aug. 2009
John Jamieson "JJ" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)

If you work out in a gym equipped with modern treadmills, cross trainers, steppers, cycle exercisers etc you will find that the machines are all capable of picking up and displaying the heart-rate signals transmitted by the T31. So if you only work out in the gym using modern exercise machines (e.g. Technogym) just buy the T31 at less than half the price of the full transmitter and monitor package. If you later decide to use it for running, cycling or swimming, just add a Polar wrist band monitor.

The T31 is good value for money, in my opinion. Just ensure that the two conductive strips (look like carbon fibre) on the inner face are slightly damp before starting: once you get into the calorie burning zone your perspiration will keep them that way!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy replacement strap, 16 Nov. 2009
C. Norris "the ancient mariner" (bucks, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
I got this as my T31 strap stopped working with my Polar HRM after about 2 years. I thought I would have to sync or somehow configure the watch to accept the new strap but it started working as soon as I put it on. Neat!

For anyone having problems just remember to wet the hatched areas that go against your skin. I give them a quick lick which does the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one to swim with, 19 Mar. 2013
Most heart rate monitors seem to be water resistant, which means they dont drown when you go swimming, but it says nothing about whether they work while under water.
I like swimming and this pickup works under water. I wanted a heart rate monitor to help gague how hard I was working. I get sensible values for heart rate while in the water (unlike some others which only work when you take them out of the water). I beleive this is down to the frequency of the radio transmitter, and its relation to water, with high frequency transmitters being blocked by the water.
I have also seen comments suggesting that the heart signal gets shunted by chlorinated water, all I can say is it has never afected my use of this one.
I did read a review that said these can be disloged if you swim very fast. I can confirm that, but I cant swim that fast for more than half a length, and I suspect that tightening the strap might cover that off too.
I think this works with the polar gym equipment as well, as when I was wearing it, the machines in the gym seemed to pick up my heart rate without me holding on.
The one down side that I can see after buying it is that the battery is NOT user replaceable. The assembly is glued together and sealed. these seem to have to be returned to polar for new batteries. (probably just a replacement unit). I havent run mine out of battery yet (four months) so I have not tried getting a replacement yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 1 Aug. 2013
D. Jones (Llanelli) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
I bought this HR strap about 3 years ago and have not had any issues with it. I purchased it as a package (along with the RS100 watch) and it works a treat.
As previous reviewers have stated, you must wet the grey patches on the strap in order to get it to work - thereafter, perspiration (if you're working hard enough!) does the trick. It's important to soak the strap in clean water on completion of exercising to remove any sweat and to preserve the strap for prolonged use.
However, the best thing for me is that it works with my Tacx Fortius Turbo Trainer as well, saving me an extra £50 or so for the Tacx OEM version which is an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best review. Check this out., 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
Water resistant belt for polar watches.
You can't actually change the battery after is drain. All you have to do is send it to nearest polar service and they will send you new one, off course you have to pay for it both you will get a discount because you recycle old one.

The is alternative! You can change the battery by your self both it is not that easy job.
You have to cut it the plastic with very sharp knife on the side edge "centre" then you will gain access to the battery. After replacement you have to seal it with the silicon or glue it with melted plastic using the "gun".
Good luck

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with gym equipment, 29 May 2015
Minty (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
I was looking for a heart rate monitor strap to use in the gym, and after searching around decided on the T31 Coded Transmitter. So far so good - it just works with the equipment in my gym (Technogym and Startrac) without any need to do anything other than wear it as described in the brief instruction leaflet. So, I'm pretty pleased with that! It loses a star due to the lack of replaceable battery, though it should last me quite a number of years as I do only use it in the gym. However there are a few guides out there to replacing the battery yourself, even though it's not constructed to allow this

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, 6 May 2010
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
Pretty boring item to review but worked absolutely fine with all the cardio machines (Life Fitness) at my gym.

4.0 out of 5 stars replacement chest strap, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
I have used this monitor for a few years, this is a replacement. As a piece of kit I have always been impressed , it is accurate and talks to the gym equipment I use. The one frustration is well-documented; you cannot change the battery, so it is a one-shot item. I don't use it for swimming so attempted to replace the battery as advocated on u tube. This left the old strap looking a mess and ultimately didn't work, hence I resorted to a new strap. In anticipation of the next time it needs replacing I might start looking around for a cheaper alternative now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
The Polar T31 Coded Transmitter and extra strap that I also purchased arrived in a box big enough to take 20 of them with space to spare. I bought this for use in the swimming pool and when I first used it the sensor was picked up by my Polar FT7 immediately. I have only used the transmitter twice so far and I have to say that the connection with my FT7 was constant and it provided EXCELLENT data. It is unobtrusive and you forget that you are wearing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good and still works with my old f6, 7 April 2015
This review is from: Polar T31 Coded Transmitter (Sports)
Works OK. Good that it still works with my ancient f6. Sometimes loses signal or says HB is 227 or something random for a few seconds if you are moving a lot but generally displays a good reading. Shame you can't replace battery I thought my old one that I lost had a cover you could remove on the back but I may be mistaken.

Instructions say keep it dry to stop it using battery. Should last a few years if you foow that advice.

Polar T31 Coded Transmitter