Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 February 2007
It's the most spiritual BOC album yet, and the most spiritual album I've heard. With BOC, their music takes on a life of its own once recorded, it's ghostly. This is fascinating, beautiful stuff. Although one might miss the spooky 70's TV samples and vibes (surely to return at some point), the more modern, instrument-based BOC somehow still feels like pure BOC whilst giving listeners a new angle. Peacock Tail is the standout for me; hypnotic, atmospheric, mysterious, melodic...pure BOC. Enough said!

*This is an update to this review. I've now lived with this album for a couple of years, and it's absolute magic, full of depth, the aforementioned mystery, and charm. The instrumentation is so well balanced, often subtle, often delicate, and BOC often leave a melody spacious and uncluttered, just letting the character of the notes ring through against their ghostly backgrounds.

This is a marvellous record. I sometimes wonder what I'd do without BOC. Wonderful stuff.
on 5 September 2008
As someone brand new to Boards of Canada I graduated to this from 'Music Has The Right To Children', having purchased both at the same time, so intially was almost intimidated by the markedly different sounds on openers 'Into the Rainbow Vein' and 'Chromakey Dreamcoat', with their guitar basis.

On first listen only really the mighty 'Davyan Cowboy' struck home, but whilst it remains the strongest track on here, others such as 'Oscar See Through Red Eye' and 'A Moment of Clarity' gradually unveil their charms on further listening, sufficiently so to keep you hooks right through to the poignant double finale of 'Tears From the Compound Eye' and 'Farewell Fire'.

Clearly this is not a band interested in rehashing the same album or even same sounds from one release to the next, and I certainly look forward to continuing into their catalogue.
on 11 October 2005
Seems BOC fans divide themselves into lovers or haters of Geogaddi. Never quite understood it myself to be honest as I found both Geogaddi and MHTRTC took a good couple of listens to appreciate and then love. Unlike the (good) review below, however, I prefered Geogaddi to everything BOC had done previously, excluding the A Beautiful Place EP, so I can possibly offer a different perspective.
The random, disturbed quality of Geogaddi is absent here. Ditto for the 'psychedelic' elements. Tracks are quite clearly differentiated from each other, build to their peaks and dissipate. While some have said that the tone is happier, I would say that it comes across as more composed and contained, certainly feeling less insecure than Geogaddi. I don't really think one is happier or more depressed than the other, as both trade in that refined BOC melancholy with an ecstatic grin.
Gains have been made though. Guitars are woven intelligently into the sound and add texture, but to no extremes. Finally BOC discover rhythm dynamics and the choice uses that hi-hats can be put to (cf Oscar See Through Red Eye here), which is all to the good.
All in all, more of the same: i.e. different from their former LPs but brilliant in its own particular way. Buy it, you won't be dissapointed!
on 21 October 2005
Yeah, they have done it again! Beautiful soundscapes, deep and inteligent textures.... Been listening to it over and over for the last 2 days. I have all their works, but I would say that this is their best so far!! 5 stars, no doubt!
on 20 October 2005
After first listening to geogaddi 3 years ago i fell in love with the music of boards of canada. i went out, bought the back catologue and was amazed at the difference in atmosphere created in MHTRTC and geogaddi. Unlike some of the other reviewers on this album, i preffered the dark hypnotic and claustrophobic sound of geogaddi to the retro synth melodies of MHTRTC. Campfire Headphase is in my honest opinion not only a good album, but a great one. Boards of canada's sound has evolved dramatically and it works well. would definately recommend to anyone who likes relaxing, beautiful music
on 16 March 2016
I had this album on CD when it was first released and I fell in love with it straight away. For me, it's a more organic sounding Boards of Canada album than the previous two Warp releases (Music Has the Right to Children & Geogaddi) with the wider use of guitars in the compositions. The whole album oozes nostalgia and at times pangs of melancholy - Tears From The Compound Eye gets me in the throat every time! The 2 disc reissue is nice, the vinyl is solid and the packaging and artwork really compliments the record.
on 15 October 2005
I got this delivered yesterday, and promptly put it on with some good headphones. The Campfire Headphase, from an orchestration point of view is much different to anything BoC have done before. The scratchy pad sounds of the strings, and tape warped synths are still there, but now accompanied by guitars and other acoustic instruments.
At first I was unsure about BoC with acoustic instruments like basses and guitars, but it just works. This album seems to be more obviously influenced by Bibio (from Mush Records, a fellow Scot).
While I think many people will agree with the previous commenter - that the album is rather one sided, I think you need to look past that. I dont think with any BoC you can listen to many songs out of the context of the album. Personally, I view this album as my favourite already. The reason for this is they've tried a fresh approach to making music, thats managed to avoid them becoming stale. A risky move that could upset people, but its worked for me.
To sum up, this is an album that is a perfect accompanyment to a cold sunny Autumn/Winters day.... great planning with the release date boys!
on 21 February 2007
Well I was just doing a google search for peacock tail off of this album as it has affected me so deeply I wanted to find out if anyone else out there had mentioned anything about it. And I see someone has :D

This song brings tears to my eyes each time I listen to it. I don't know why. It sounds like a little miracle and moves me so deeply. And I guess I'm just writing to say that I am so grateful, for this music and this experience. Truly this album is beyond inspirational. My favourite one to date!

For Peacock Tail... the album is worth getting just for that.

MIracle...
on 16 October 2005
No pretentious review here. Buy this album, this is there best work to date. Those who complain that it isn't MHTRTC are missing the point. Artists have to move on to become more successfull. And anyway, if they hadn't have changed their sound people who have complained. Top tracks are Peacock Tail & Slow this Bird Down. Beautiful, Beautiful music!!!
on 8 September 2015
Have recently started purchasing BOCs back catalogue following the release of the more gothic sounds of Tommorrows Harvest release. For Campfire headphase BOC seem more methodically based and the incredible electronica landscapes ooze ambient chilled out perfection , with incredible guitars. I found the haunting ambient selection awesome for a summer days chilling out on a hammock with a rum by the sea , or flying at 35,000 feet, or to brighten the winter nights . With spellbinding elegant instrumental themes s such as 84 Pontiac Dream, Sherrbert head, to the heartbreaking Ataronchronon and up beat Hey Saturday Sun.

Campfire is an incredible selection and to me a unique masterpiece of the downtempo electronica genre !