5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece and Gerry Anderson’s Greatest Work, 10 Nov 2005
P. W. Taylor "Father Unwin" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet: Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This show is totally addictive and you will want to watch each episode again and again. The attention to detail beggars belief and the heady combination of Motion Capture (used to animate the characters instead of strings!) and CGI is a joy. The locations, vehicles and characters are brought to life in an exhilarating, fast moving show with unbelievable lighting effects.
Perhaps, the most remarkable thing about this leading edge piece of work is that its target audience, the family group, appears to be unaware of its existence. It is true that NCS has been shown on children’s ITV already, but it was buried within the Ministry of Mayhem programme 6 months ahead of the planned release date.
The original expectation was that all 26 episodes would be shown in the Autumn of 2005 and would be accompanied by a coordinated publicity and marketing campaign. The show was to be marketed by Granada Ventures in Europe and by Sony Pictures across the rest of the world.
This was to coincide with the launch of a new range of Captain Scarlet vehicles and figures, comics and also the release of the DVDs, themselves. In fact, most of these items are now available in the shops but they have come ‘under the radar’ to a fanfare of almost total silence.
I am a fan of Gerry Anderson’s Supermarionation shows (real puppets) rather than his live action shows but I regard Hypermarionation (effectively, digital puppets) as a natural extension of this genre. My son says that if you are looking out for the technology then the show has failed. I totally disagree - New Captain Scarlet is way ahead of its time and nothing less than sensational!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best DVD in my collection, 8 Nov 2005
Mr. P. J. Sloan "Phil the Fluter" (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Not having seen any of the new Captain Scarlet on TV( no kids!), I was a little unsure about how I would take the new stuff. But boy am I glad I bought it. Its fantastic! The graphics are superb, the stories are excellent, and there's even a little love interest for Captain Scarlet(that Destiny Angel is a real babe!)
Only one gripe! The music isn't a patch on the original, bring it back and I'll die a happy man!!!
Just buy it, your kids will love it just as much as we loved the first series back in the sixties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original? Yes!, 13 Sep 2005
Mr P. D. Kinnear "Paul Kinnear" (Wirral, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I heard about a new version of CAPTAIN SCARLET I must admit I was a little sceptical. Even with Gerry Anderson in charge I couldn't help but think that any update would be mired with the same low-brow & inane gloss that seems "essential" for children's television these days.
Thankfully I was utterly wrong! NEW CAPTAIN SCARLET is a revelation, providing new bench marks for television by triumphing as a visually satisfying and smart, well written series.
The overall plot remains the same, with Earth security service SPECTRUM defending us from the intangible Mysterons and their deadly human duplicates, but already the new series has surpassed the original in every way possible. Initially it is odd to hear someone other than Francis Matthews and the late Ed Bishop as Captain's SCARLET & BLUE respectively, but the 'new' voice artists quickly become the "norm" after just a couple of episodes, making the roles their own.
Visually the show is staggering, with the CGI animation being quite literally the best ever seen on the small screen - Characters move fluidly and with weight, while vehicles look stunning and photo-realistic. Direction is accomplished, and the editing of some scenes leaves the viewer gasping in exhileration. A recently screened episode called VIRUS (not included in this set but it'll be in box set #2!) contained the most intense aeriel dogfight I have ever seen in ANY medium - It only lasted for two minutes yet was a dizzying ballet of aircraft and dedicated combat pilots at work defending their friends' lives.
And there lies the real strength of this series: There's no low-brow, cringeworthy banter or embarassing "kiddie" jokes here; the characters are portrayed as intelligent, real people with no triumphal 'air punching' or declarations of "radical" every few minutes. Plots are as adult as a series of this nature can get, and I am continually amazed at how much is packed into a 22 minute episode. Never once do the writers talk down to their audience, and congratulations to main scribe PHIL FORD for being brave enough to treat the audience with respect.
The first 13 episodes provide solid viewing without a single bad episode present. My personal favourites are the creepy RAT TRAP, the exciting MERCURY FALLING and best of all, THE ACHILLES MESSENGER, a story that hints at some very interesting developments to come.
Although I recorded the series off air, this boxset will be the only way to view the episodes in all their widescreen, high definition, surround-sound glory. After being so personally disappointed by the update of DR WHO, I know I can at least find good adult (in the best sense of the word) television somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most exhilirating thing on tv, 18 Sep 2005
Hannah (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The new captain scarlet is quite simply one of the best, most exciting programmes on tv.
There is so much action packed in to one episode you are constantly wanting more.
The writing is phenomenol and has genuinely interesting storylines that aren't just for 'little kids'.
The CGI is simply the best on any televison show, there is realistic facial and body movement. And the aeroplanes and cars look so real its incredible.
I think this is series is brilliant in every way and will be waiting at the letterbox every morning!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectrum is Green!, 15 Nov 2005
Right, let's get a few things out of the way beforehand.
First, remember Thunderbirds? Even the film version of recent years? Right, now forget it.
Second, anyone who has ever met Starship Trooper Chronicles, also by Ron Thornton, please forget that, too.
Finally, if you haven't seen Captain Scarlet, the origianl series, don't panic - this is simply superb. Fans of the original will be really pleased with how close it remains to the original strings and puppet ideal, but with the use of state of the art CGI; and SOTA it is! The level of detail is stunning - whereas Starship Troopers suffered from the odd touch of neglect or simply bad production values, you can TELL this is something Gerry Anderson's hand has touched - it oozes quality. I mean it - I can freeze frame the DVD at any moment and either count pores on the face of a character, or figureout the stitching pattern on a character's clothing! Quality, Quality, Quality.
This is true, not only in the quality of the visuals, but also in the story - this DVD is PG, and it actually earns it, not through stupidly obvious ways, but through what is simply a gritty and enjoyable yarn, spun from episode to episode. Sure, there's the odd bright and fluffy moment, but it's the sort that'll have you grinning from ear to ear (the involvement of a Lancaster Bomber in one of the episodes is delightful, including Colonel White's closing comment about "prangs"!).
Captain Scarlet could have been horribly updated, but you can identify with principle characters very quickly - and while existing strong relationships from the 1960s original have been kept, others have received welcome make-overs - the Angels are still all-female, but White's XO, Lieutenant Green is now female (and seems to work much better that way). Black's history with Destiny, the fact that Destiny is now one of the three principle characters. The story always seems to rattle on at breakneck speed, which does much to avoid any potential "look, we're Spectrum Agents and we're trying to look tough" moments.
What I'm saying is, I can't fault this DVD. Apart from the fact I want ANOTHER 13 episodes, RIGHT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm an addict!!, 5 Oct 2005
Steve M. Thompson (UK) - See all my reviews
I can't believe this show! I get up every Sat morn to watch it,
I tape it and then I'll watch it again about 3 more times right after each other!! Amazing graphics, fantastic stories and the characters that I watched as a child have been taken to an amazing new level!! Captain Black is brilliant! I love it when he turns up, Colonel White looks amazing! and Captain Scarlet, himself is fantastic!! a true modern day hero. I hope this is a massive hit! There's nothing else like this on tv. So much is crammed in 22 mins, I don't know how they do it!! it's like a blockbuster movie! I can't wait to get these on Dvd, Well done Gerry Anderson!! You've made a 42 year old man feel like a kid again!

5.0 out of 5 stars New Captain Scarlet series 1, 19 Oct 2005
Andrew Featherston (England) - See all my reviews
Absolutely brillant well worth buying and the kids love it to and excellent service from Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars A fan in the USA says this series totally rocks!, 2 July 2006
Shirley A. Burton "Oddball Extreme" (Montgomery, AL USA) - See all my reviews
Being a fan of the original Captain Scarlet series before, I had a few qualms about how Gerry Anderson would update this into computer-generated format. I didn't know whether the general story would stay the same, etc.

After being able to see it, I'm convinced this went far beyond the original series. No more puppet strings are needed! The characters are free to move about and have facial expressions.

One thing I was happy to see in this updated version was an increase in the number of women in some powerful positions (such as Lieutenants Green and Silver and Captain Ochre). I'm glad to notice the color codes not restricted to just men anymore.

Diehard Captain Scarlet fans, you may want to give this series a chance, believe me!

5.0 out of 5 stars war of nerves, 19 Oct 2005
Mr. R. Dunlop (england) - See all my reviews
fantastic to have my personal favourite gerry anderson show back on tv! the new captain scarlet is excellent gerry and his crew have done a first class job of bringing back this superb show. my only criticism is that in the original show the mysterons had a war of nerves with earth handing spectrum cryptic clues as to what there next target(s) would be with the occasional red herring thrown in for luck, and hopefully spectrum would solve it in time!
in this show however they have simply declared war and not a war of nerves against earth, my only issue with this is that with there superior powers etc they would surely win hands down killing and replicating life on earth at the drop of a hat!
but other than that i totally love the show and cant wait for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 Oct 2005
By A Customer
Great update to (and far better than) the original 1960's marionation series - the stories are great, the action is intense when needed, the main characters are nicely developed and the CGI is very good indeed.
Superb stuff - let's hope we get a few more New Captain Scarlet series that are of an equally high quality.
This series really does need more publicity though - something so excellent shouldn't be buried within the morass that is Ministry of Mayhem on a Saturday morning.

Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet: Complete Series 1 [DVD]