Format: DVD|Change

Although the original triple Oscar nominated Walt Disney classic animation film dates from 1950, the 'sequel' Cinderalla II is only a few years old. The original Cinderella is naturally in a different league to Cinderella II, having a particularly dark Stepmother and in comparison is a visual treat. It's not unlike Disney's Snow White, mixing humour and songs one minute with dastardly deeds the next. In many scene's the stepmother's cat becomes the villain in proxy, made more menacing as Cinderella's friends are mainly mice and birds.

My daughter, then 8, found the 50's classic a bit scary and much prefers the later frothier Cinderella II, which follows Cinders naive attempts to be a dutiful wife and all round Princess of the People. In fact the simple stories in Cinderella II are quite entertaining, and it follows Cinders attempt 'fit in' at court and to help her stepsister find love. At 11 my daughter moved on to 'The worst Witch' and the likes of Cadet Kelly teen movies, but to be honest she has probably just watched Cinderella I and II to death. Deep down I'm sure she still really loves the 'I'm a little princess' and 'Some day my prince will come' romanticism of these movies. There is a now a third 'straight to video' instalment in the Disney Cinderella series called 'Cinderella III: A twist in time' which my daughter (now 13) has quite enjoyed watching a couple of times, and the wicked stepmother is still as bovine as ever - this 'film' is also available on DVD, but isn't included in this set. Of the three, Cinderella II is still my daughters firm favourite. This DVD set also adds in a few fun extras on a seperate DVD, all listed in the Amazon review, plus the usual few adverts for other Disney DVDs. Note that it may be cheaper to buy this Disney's 'Cinderella [1950]' and 'Cinderella II - Dreams come true [2001]' triple DVD set seperately in their 'Special Edition' versions - with what seems to be the identical extras DVD enclosed within with the original 1950 movie set (I only have this combined set though).

Personally I prefer the classic 50's original Cinderella (which I saw at the cinema as a child in the 60's), but certainly I found Cinders II watchable as well - it has a certain charm (but it's not quite up to the standard of Barbie's Nutcracker, Rapunzel or Swan Lake). So recommended as a very good buy for any preteen girl who likes Barbie and Pink (probably from 4 up). My son (now 9) has sat through them once or twice in sister's bedroom when younger, but definately prefers the likes of the Fantastic Four and Sky High (or the PS2).
on 26 August 2009
My daughter loves both these films, she is a huge fan of Cinderella and has only ever seen Cinderella 3 (a twist in time) as the other's do not appear to be shown on satalite tv.
on 11 March 2013
Can't beet a bit of Cinderella. Someone said that at least in Cinderella the Prince worked for his love! Every time you watch it you find something else- and the digital remastery hasn't failed to impress!
on 10 March 2013
Got it for my 3 year old daughter and she loves both Dvds. Great price for 2 dvds. Comes in nice display.Would recommend.
on 29 October 2012
Another lovely Disney story that I bought for my niece. You cant go wrong with a Disney film for a young girl