5.0 out of 5 stars 'Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club'
The Breakfast Club is one of the most touching films you will ever see. The only thing I find surprising is that more people don't seem to go crazy for it; after all, it captures perfectly that strange, confused person we all once used to be - a teenager.

Published on 28 Feb 2007 by Mr. A. E. Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with copy.
I love the film as i saw it first on tv then decided to buy the dvd. However i am disappointed with this copy as it is very jumpy. Quite annoying as this is the only one on amazon.
Published 5 days ago by Rachael

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club', 28 Feb 2007
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)

Five students with nothing in common have to spend an entire Saturday in detention and write an essay on who they think they are. This mundane and seemingly pointless exercise unwittingly sets them on an emotional journey that they will never forget and that will change all of their lives forever. They only met once, but the Breakfast Club was probably the best thing that could ever have happened to these characters.

The most enduring lesson of this film is that not everyone is who they first appear to be. The confident Mr Verner is in fact very insecure, the 'stupid' janitor is much sharper than anyone will ever give him credit for. But the five students prove the stars of the show. Apart from Emilio Estevez, none of them became huge stars, but all deliver performances to die for. The 'Brain' is in fact a far more volatile and cut-loose person than he first seems, the 'Criminal' has a real heart, the 'Basket Case' is screaming inside for the world to treat her like a human being, but no one seems to listen, the 'Princess' is trapped in a role where she is what everyone but herself wants her to be, and the star wrestler and tough guy is in fact a scared little boy, desperate not to disappoint his father. The emotional journey will bring you right back to those days of high school, of being judged on who your friends were and the clothes you wore, when no one saw the real you.

The famous dance sequence of 'We are Not Alone', the gathering in a circle and the dope fuelled rampage are beautiful, but nothing can compare to the cutting letter they leave for Mr Verner, signed by the Breakfast Club, and the iconic image of Bender punching the air with 'Don't you Forget About Me' playing in the background.

If their was one criticism about the film, it would be that it starts slowly, as it has to build up the relationship between the characters before the plot thickens, but stick with it, it's worth it. And for those of you who care about extras, there is the trailer, but nothing else.

Career defining performances, a great script, a unique story in the best cinematic tradition (no CGI or stupid cliches here) and cracking soundtrack, unless you somehow slept through puberty, you'll love the Breakfast Club.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lipstick Trick, 30 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
Okay I admit it, I was an eighties kid, and this was a classic eighties movie. If you ever watch a programme about the eighties, this film is always mentioned or the Molly Ringwald dance scene is shown. Plus the fact many a girl spent hours learning how to do the lipstick trick after seeing the film (trust me - I speak from experience) but I won't spoil it by telling you. You'll have to watch it to see what I mean.

If you want to bring back memories of teen angst, and all that went with it. Or if you want a classic for your collection - You just got to get it

5.0 out of 5 stars A key film of the 80's... and all decades, 21 Oct 2006
M. Wright "Postal_Dude" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
Being an 80's kid I'll admit I'm slightly biased in saying this is one of the best films ever! This is a perfect film for most people who enjoy a film to have a storyline and to see the change that characters go through a film (not a typical cliché buddy movie though)

This film more than any other teen movie that I've seen, shows the divisions that an American high school may have (I'm from the UK so I'm guessing) in a heightened way, yet it remains a very serious moving picture... with comic effect thrown in for good measure.

The basic story is five high school students all have Saturday detention and must put up with each other, on their own for the day. From the first motif of the high school we get an idea of what these divisions maybe. And the rest of the film shows them talking to each other in a way they're probably not used to in their own niche of school life. The criminal stops insulting someone for 5 minutes and gets to know someone for themselves, rather than the clothes they wear... the jock gets to say what HE'S feeling and the nerd gets spoken to! although you could probably see the ending coming before you even put the dvd in the player, this is still a film you'll want to see till the end, simply to see how all the kids end up.

Although the "day" closes well we never find out if the day changed any of the children permanently, and that's almost the point of the film. firstly about how everyone under their clothes or musical taste are all people, but also how people can get forced into these stereotypes and no matter what they do they will forever be known as a jock, criminal, princess etc....

I would highly recommend this film to anyone who has an interest in films based on high school life, because chances are this film started it!

Often quoted as "the film of the 80's" this is a must watch (at the very least) for any movie collection, but especially people who don't need films being blown up every 5 seconds and people who can watch a "comedy" with probably less that 10 jokes in the whole film!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this version!, 30 Dec 2008
M. Wells "Bookworm" (Oxfordshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I bought this dvd just because it was cheaper than the one disc version, and I was pleasantly surprised!
The bonus disc has a 12-part documentary that I'd never seen before with cast members (Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall, the care-taker)and film-makers discussing the film and its cultural resonance. They also discuss the Brat Pack label and it's impact on the actors' careers. There are different parts for each character and the music soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tmeless classic for teens and those who once were teens, 3 Dec 2006
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
The first time I saw this movie I was around 12 and even though it was 13 years ago I still remember it was aired on a Sunday (I guess that shows what a deep impact it had on me). Unfortunately I forgot the name of the movie (but never about the movie itsself!) and it was only last year when the release of the DVD was announced on Amazon.de (I have to tell you I'm 25 years old now, which means that I hadn't seen the movie for around 12 years!) and I was like "OMG those are the kids from this genious movie I saw so long ago!" And now I know the movie by heart, and Judd Nelson has become my most favorite actor (it's just a shame that this genious actor has wasted his talent on so many bad movies...).

Even though it's actually a teen movie it's not boring at all watching it as an adult. I think you simply see the movie in a different view when you watch it as an adult, but it does not loose a tiny bit of its brilliance.

Besides, I made my younger relatives who are teens now watch it and they loved it too, which shows that you don't have to be an 80s teen to love it, it's simply a timeless classic!

To give a short overview about the story, there's five teens who are in detention, they get introduced to you as the typical stereotypes you find in all schools now and then I guess: a princess (Molly Ringwald), a sporto (Emilio Estevez), a criminal (Judd Nelson), a brain (Anthony Michael Hall) and a weirdo (Ally Sheedy). They see each other and they immediatelly think they have nothing in common, and they are full of prejudices (so are you when you see them in the beginning of the movie), but they (and you, too) have to realize that they are not so different after all and you should never judge a book by its cover.

This movie will make you laugh, it'll make you sad, and it'll make you think.

Next to the brilliant story that is delivered to you by brilliant acting performances it also has a gorgeous soundtrack.

The only bad thing about the DVD are the special effects, because there are none but the trailer. No interview, no deleted scenes, nothing. It's a shame!

I really hope there's be an anniversery special edition when this movie becomes 25...

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but fun, 12 April 2012
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
After twenty or so years since last watching this film, I forgot just how slight it is. The film's main strength is its casting - Judd Nelson's perma-flared nostrils aside, the young cast bounce off one another nicely, as they gradually unite to thwart the oppression of sadistic teachers, judgemental peers and their own prejudices. To be honest I'd always remembered more focus on the battle between Nelson's streetwise bully and Paul Gleason's antagonistic teacher; in reality this is fleeting, but there is plenty of nostalgic fascination to be had in watching the likes of Emilio Estevez (playing against type as a wholesome 'Jock'), Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald in early starring roles.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Classic Brat Pack Movie, 10 Sep 2009
underthethumb (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Breakfast club, written and directed by the late John Hughes was one of the seminal teen films of the 1980's and the treatement given on this two disc special edition is what it deserves. The picture and sound quality of the film are excellent and the second disc contains a twelve part documentary featuring the cast members.

The film itself brings together all the classic social types from American High school, the princess, the jock, the geek, weird girl and outsider boy. They have to spend the day in the school library for detention and the entire focus of the film is their social interaction during that day.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY FAVOURITE FILM OF ALL TIME, 9 Sep 2000
This is my favourite film ever. I can't quite say why as there are too many reasons. I thought Judd Nelson was particularly great as was Emilio Estevez. However that is not to detract from the other great performances by Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, John Kapelos and Paul Gleason. When I tell people that its about 5 students in detention they just look at me but its the journey we take with Alison, Andy, Bender, Brian and Claire that makes it so superb. If this teaches us anything its that people have problems no matter how blessed you think they are. I liked this whole era of films such as St Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink etc and while other viewers find it brings back memories of the 80's I am enjoying these films as a 90's viewer. If I had to summarise The Breakfast Club in three words it would be superb, brilliant and excellent. To anyone reading this who hasn't seen the film buy it now you won't regret it.
I also liked Vernon being analysed by Karl who tells him that he only took a teaching position cos he thought it would be easy. "Then you found that it was actually work and that really bummed you out" However my favourite line is too hard to choose as 10 or 11 spring to mind immediately. It is not an exageration to say I have watched it about 100 times and will never get sick of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I grew up in the 80's, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
Being a 90's kid I love old movies with the raw feel it shows how people who live different lives can be the same in many ways it's emotional and crazy but you'll love it. I often find myself searching for older movies like this as the acting is raw and coming of age movies feel more real than the ones you get today. It's classic and timeless and I will definitely be making my kids watch this (When I have them)
I would recommend you watch this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iconic 80s, 14 April 2010
Fraser the Frank Fish "paul m" (Benfleet) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
Brilliant film, I first saw this back in 1985 and have seen it a couple of times since, but at this price it was a must buy.

Watching it again, the film has lost none of its magic. In someways it is ageless and you'll see it through the eyes of your younger self, but in other ways you will notice new aspects everytime you watch it as the passing years move you to a more mature perspective.

The story, as you most probably know, revolves around 5 stereo-typical students from varying categories of student society being forced to attend a Saturday detention as a punishment for their misdemeanours. As their crimes and souls are laid bare the under lying futility of life is exposed.

One of the more critical reviews focused on the stereotyping of the characters, but this is to miss the whole message of the film. The 5 protagonists are deliberately stereotyped then taken out of their comfort zone and forced to interact in a confined environment - a sort of pro-type Big Brother.

What they learn from the experience is that in many ways they are the same, everyone has their hopes and their fears, each is a hostage to society, and no matter how much how you rebel you are really only ever gone to play the role laid out for you. The differences are in how society perceives them and the role they must play.

This is all exposed when Brian's essay, "Who do we think we are...", is narrated emotively at the end by the authoritarian teacher, as each of the 5 make their way back to normal life with their paths diverging once more as the pulsating "Don't you Forget About Me" fades in.

I once saw this film reviewed in a newspaper in the mid 90s, undoubtably by some young reviewer, as "tired and cliched". Yes, this storyline has been much covered, but that is since, and never so eloquently - in my mind the Breakfast Club is iconic and genre-defining establishing John Hughes as one of the seminal film-makers of the 80s.

Good soundtrack too - particulary Simple Minds and Wang Chung.

The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985]
The Breakfast Club [DVD] [1985] by John Hughes (DVD - 2005)