5.0 out of 5 stars 50's, Noughties
The 2006 Mercury Music prize went to The Arctic Monkeys. On accepting the award, their spokesman said "someone call the police, Richard Hawley has been robbed". Now bearing in mind that Hawley is a fellow inhabitant of Sheffield ... forgive my ignorance people of Sheffield, but I haven't a clue what they call you... even so I made a mental note. Months before, Verity...
Published on 8 Jan. 2007 by John Tree

3.0 out of 5 stars Coles Corner- thoughts
In some ways- considering the hype that surrounded its release - this album disappoints. It is a good album but not that special as an example of Hawley's work, exploring some themes (relationships chiefly) but neglecting others.
It is for me an album I always meant to buy, but then forgot. Now I suppose I know why I forgot it, and I believe that Hawley's work has...
Published on 30 Oct. 2009 by D. Bew

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cole's Corner, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
I bought this because I enjoyed Lady's Bridge so much, I have only managed to listen to it twice. I like it but still have Lady's Bridge in the car playing it regularly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 23 Jan. 2015
very good

4.0 out of 5 stars Cole's Corner, get the location right Amazon!!!!, 18 Mar. 2009
Mr. C. Smith "smezqui" (Gilcrux, Cumbria.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
Not so much a review, as a criticism of the product description. The album's OK. Not as crap as deafo HE Perkins makes out but not earth shattering either. Quirkily obscure, would be my best definition.

The bug bear is the description of Cole's Corner. It is NOT where John Lewis's is, nor ever has been. It WAS at the bottom of Fargate, where it joins Church Street. If you can't trust The Almighty Amazon to get that right, how can they be trusted over anything else? Cole Brother's building was triangular, with the corner at the aforementioned junction.

It was a great meeting spot as there was just the one corner. How could you meet at the corner of a rectangular box? Which bloody corner would you mean?

Oh, crappy crappy product reviewer, may your girlfriend be picked up by a spotty lothario outside John Lewis's while you wait at the wrong corner!

(I am from Sheffield. I know these things to be true!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Your Nan would love it!, 4 Sept. 2013
I. Saunders (Reading, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
I bought Richard Hawley's latest album (Standing at the Sky's Edge) and liked it so much that I thought I'd give some of his older stuff a try. That was a mistake.

This album is full of the sort of music I wouldn't touch with a bargepole when I was in my teens and twenties, and thirty years down the line I'm not about to start.

Sounding like he's channelling the spirits of all the easy-listening ghosts - Andy Williams, Sacha Distel, Pat Boone, Jim Reeves, Val Doonican even, with a hint of Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison - he skilfully captures the sound of yesteryear. But this is not enough. The tunes are obvious, and the lyrics are of the "moon in June" variety. And no amount of reverb can make up for his musically rather limited crooning.

Music to snooze to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Feb. 2015
Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Feb. 2015
Fab

5.0 out of 5 stars Dullards from Exeter: stay away!, 17 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
This is a sublime slice of croonsome pop that only the bitter and jaded could resist. Black women with Trinidadian backgrounds, full of the joylessness of the single life, will scoff at the swooning soundscapes and drizzled romance that is Hawley's calling card.

2.0 out of 5 stars I just can't, 30 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
I saw this in a music rag with all the accolaids from various sources saying 'Amazing', 'One of the best of the year' etc... and I bought it on that premise, along with the ex-Pulp credential. On first listen I had to shut it off about 4 songs in as it wasn't hitting the spot, but that happens on some first listens.
The songs sounded like a mix of late-Elvis and Rat Pack type tunes. The production quality was updated for the times but the song-writing wasn't. The result was similar to a 60 year old trying to impersonate fat-Elvis or Dean Martin and not attempting in any way to put a modern twist on it.
I tried to listen it to it 3 or 4 times but each time I had to shut it off mid-way through as I couldn't get through it. It has now been put on the shelf forever unfortunately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough., 4 Feb. 2006
Mr. A. Moss "918" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
I was in HMV and they had this playing. It caught my interest so i asked the guy at the counter who it was and he became quite excited. He told me RH was previously in Pulp, which fed my interest, and that the album was very good; Lyrically/ musically etc. On hearing it I am nothing but let down, they were playing "Born under a bad sign" and that is the only stand-out track of the album. The rest seems to blend into a monotone hum-drum ramble - although lyrically quite poignant. An example of this is if you play the final 2 tracks they blend into one another as they share the same bland lifeless tone; While on the subject of the final track - Its an instrumental that is technically poor, goes nowhere and begins and ends as quiet nothingness. I have listened to this album straight through a couple times and have no desire to repeat the process. Two stars: 1 for "Born under a bad sign" which is an excellent track and the 2nd for the album photography, also very good. Only buy this if you are an established Richard Hawley fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars songs for elevator lovers!, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Coles Corner (Audio CD)
hmmm....not sure about this one. im a newcomer to this guy. saw him once on tv and thought it was a nice sound so thought id risk a full length album.

so what have we got? first , the voice. Washed in long reverbs, Richard walks the line somewhere between nick cave, bobby darin and morrissey! most of all however he sounds like he wants to be britains answer to chris isaak and, whilst his voice is pleasant and inoffensive enough, he doesnt really have the vocal scope and presence of that singer.

musically it straddles somewhere between early 60's doo-wop and country along with a smattering of cocktail-lounge noodling a la pat boone or even the mike flowers pops! overall though , theres a distinct roy orbison thing going on here in feel, though without the content and magical vocal.

The songs? well....theyre ok. the opener being perhaps the strongest on offer. but really they kinda just meander along. even though theres plenty of lush instrumentation the songs themselves, the melodies and lyrics, are not really very memorable. in fact, call me a cynic, but these songs are so over the top sentimental and syrupy that it almost seems like richard is taking the p*** here, like he doesnt really mean it. and this makes the whole listening experience a bit uneasy for me.

nothing really offensive here though like i said. its all very.......nice. sweet and syrupy and harmless. Richard has succeeded in probably making the best elevator background muzak album of all time

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

Coles Corner
Coles Corner by Richard Hawley (Audio CD - 2005)